Pain in top of my foot

Sorry if this has been asked many times before - i'm quite new to RW.

I finished my run on Sunday feeling nothing but an ache in my foot, over night this developed into an intense pain across the top of my foot. Although the pain is continually present, it is significantly worse when i move my toes (i seem to have full range of movement). I don't hit the roof when i press on the top of my foot and i can weight bear quite well although i'm walking with a bit of a limp.

I was wondering if any of you knew what this was and how i could resolve it without a trip to the doc's as that would be tricky at the moment.

i've been running for a few years now an my run ws no different to any of my others - i just don't know what has brought this on. i hate being injured image

thanks in advance

H x

Comments

• Ooh. See below but that sounds like how I felt and mine turned out to be a stress fracture. Is the pain localised or along the ligament. I went to minor injuries and they did an x ray as I wanted to avoid going through the doc too.
  • Metatarsal stress fracture is a possibility, or extensor tendonitis. Stress fracture needs about six weeks of support (stiff-soled footwear) and rest. Tendonitis may need physio. Good luck.

• oh dear! Thank you both for you responses.

Debra, i hope i don't need six weeks off! i don't suppose you know what causes these - i'd like to avoid this happening again.

Egyptian toe - a minor injuries unit sounds like a good idea, i'll get a fracture ruled out then i can go see a physio!

Fingers crossed...........................

• Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but when my stress fracture had healed after six weeks, I discovered the rest hadn't really helped the extensor tendonitis (yes, I managed both at the same time) and it took a couple of months and several physio sessions. Hopefully whatever you've done won't be that bad, but...

• Stress fractures often don't show up on x rays but I suspect the advice wouldn't harm. I had to have two sets of stays a couple of weeks apart and it still wasn't clear. The physio ruled out extensor ligament from poking me a bit and they gave me good advice yesterday.