Tuesday 16th October 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:With a fire in my bones and the sweet taste of kerosene

What:5M Steady in pouring rain and it was cold.

Why: I enjoy it.

I see Seb Coe is bringing out another Autobiography in early November.

Need to catch up again.

Comments

• Morning.

Great to see you Stickless - I've been thinking of you quite a lot and hoping that it wasn't the PD stopping you running that was keeping you away.

What:              long drive, long day
    Why:               at a conference in Birmingham
    Last hard:        reining myself in yesterday
    Last rest:         12/10

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Stickless, lovely to hear from you again, and its good to have a plan!
    what - club night, not sure what the schedule says, but some form of speedwork
    why - its Tuesday
    last rest - friday
    last hard - saturday
    no from me on the words...

• Morning

Currently nursing an almighty cold/chest infection/bout of man flu!

Naturally being a man i genuinely feel like i'm on my death bed.

Managed to do half hour on the bike yesterday follwed by some leg resistance work so throw in the fact i'm walking like John Wayne today and i'm quite a picture!

What: Rest
    Why: ILLNESS (can you tell i'm angry?)
    Last hard: Last Thursdays spin/swim
    Last rest: Sunday

Lyrics: Yes image

• What: Nothing.
    Why: Didn't make it to the gym this morning, for no good reason.
    Last hard: Yesterday's run from the Asics store was about 5km. I went with intermediate but they set off so fast I ended up straggling behind, but quite a way ahead of 'beginners'. There's not much lighting around Hyde Park so it was slightly miraculous we all managed to meet up at the end.
    Last rest: Thursday/today.

Hi Stickless. Oh dear onepaceracer, lemsip, orange juice etc etc. Lyrics no.

• Morning!

Good to hear from you Stickless: keep posting!

What: nowt! Trying not to think about when I might be able to do something! Op tomorrow! Not a moment too soon!

Lyrics: nope

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning!

First time on these threads. Forgive me if I don't "get it".

What? Club night.

Why? First marathon around the corner.

Last hard:  Saturday's 17 miler

Last rest: Sunday.

Lyrics: Say it loud, Say it clear. You can listen as well as you hear.

• stickless: how great to hear from you! Like LMH I was quite worried about you.

LMH: another confidence-building run - just when you need it. Nice!

OPR: get well soon - 'tis the season for colds.

alehouse: fingers crossed for your op tomorrow

Hiya Run Wales. The thing with the lyrics is you either say yes or no but you don't reveal them if you know them and you are not supposed to post another song's lyrics either image. Which marathon are you doing and what's your target? We are all very very nosey and love stats image

what: 6.5 miles easy
    why: settling back into a running routine
    last hard: 7/10
    last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: yes

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Welcome RW, which mara u up for?

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

stickless lovely to see you posting, the camino sounds pretty amazing.

opr, wish you better, man flu is tough so I am told....

lyrics no...

What: club sociable run later to give out club cards at the local tube station

why: recruitment, duty  anda run all in one!

last hard: saturday's 5 mile xctry

last easy: yesterdays duvet day

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: Maybe run this afternoon
    why: half day and nothing else planned or pressing
    last hard: kayaking on Sunday.
    Last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: no, as usual.

RW Croeso!
    Where's your marathon?

alehouse: but all goes well tomorrow

OPR   annoying when Illness gets in the way isn't it

Chickadee Good that you are getting back into it

• thanks for the welcome.  So for lyrics, I should have said "nope" as i've no idea where the lyrics in the OP came from.

Doing Preston Guild Marathon on 28th. My first. Never raced more than 10 miles before. Target is a moving feast. Keeps fluctuating between an over-ambitious sub-4....  to a more realistic four-and-a-half.   Have struggled to do long runs at 4hr 30min pace...  but did an 18 miler on Saturday at 9:22/min (and that included 4 stationary minutes eating a Snickers and drinking water - subtract that and I can argue for a 3:59 race)... so now I'm getting over-optimistic again!

• Good luck for your 1st RW

A sunny afternoon so no excuse not to get out - 10 miles done which I enjoyed - 1st medium run since marathon

Alehouse That should have read "hope all goes well tomorrow"
    (still playing with Dragon Naturally Speaking at work image)

• Alehouse - what time do you have to go in?

OPR - just rest up if you feel that bad - it will pass more quickly.

Welcome RW - it's your first marathon, it will be a PB! The first 13 miles should feel too easy, the next 7 as though you're working a little and then you throw everything you have left at it. Much better to finish feeling strong and keen to beat your time in your next marathon than to haul yourself over the line hating it.

OH - that's a good run. Sounds as though the mojo has returned.

chickadeee - what's next for you?

A day shut inside meant I really fancied a run after driving home but I resisted, don't want to leave my race on the trails this week.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Stickless and welcome to Run Wales

Was not around yesterday but thanks for all the comments regarding my PB, Sorry TR that I did not recognise you, I was in a world of my own on Sunday morning.

Rest day here

Take care

• one of my fav songs, second tune on my running playlist image

just got back from a steady 4 miler

• maybe should also say my first time on the lyrics thread, often look/lurk, but todays the first time i've known the answer!! image

• I seldom know the answer Adam - don't let it stop you from joining in!

• Evening!

Welcome to the newcomers! Adam:  what LMH says. Run Wales:  if I am right you have done a bit of running in a previous life!

Tom:  where are you? Hopefully we have upset you and you are in a mood: I trust it is nothing worse!

LMH:  a neighbour is giving me a life to Chester at 7.20 and then I will do a bit of shopping before catching a train and bus to arrive for 11.30. Trying to make it into a little adventure!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Croeso RunWales and Adam get a proper name Richardson the sixth. (wink)

Nope to the lyrics.

Frustrated with my work schedule, but even more frustrated with what is promising to be a pulled mini-muscle or stringy bit (ligament?) at the top end of me bum. Clearly I've done a bit too much too quickly. Annoyed. But I've not been getting out regularly enough and swimming clearly doesn't count.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Not dead, not even dying...just been in Wales (the land that broadband forgot) for the weekend.

Anyway...welcome RW, what part of Wales are you from? Likewise AdamR...it's amazing how many people are flushed out of the woodwork by intriguing lyrics!

Stickless: good to hear from you. I'm now running for Fenland Runners, a lovely bunch of people and hope to make one of their teams for the Hereward Relay...remember that one?

Alehouse: Good luck for tomorrow and positive thoughts to you for next week.

LMH: things seem to be picking up mentally as you get back into your stride.

Lyrics: not today, yesterdays yes...though it's not that good a song. Some 60s stuff doesn't stand up that well, though I can never resist "San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie (RIP), of which both song and singer have links with the purveyors of todays lyrics. Incidently I made it to San Francisco in 1969...yeah man! Sadly by then the scene had gone and it just looked like Camden on a sunny dayimage

Enough of the old hippy's reminiscences.......

Last week I had three really good runs (Sun, Mon and Wed) which left me rather battered for the rest of the week. Spent the weekend developing DOMS by running over the hills oF South Glamorgan. This is where I lived when I was running at my best, sadly it now reminds me of what I've lost over the years. A couple of reasonable sub 8:00 8 milers on Sunday and Monday and a rather scratchy session with the club tonight...still struggling to get on terms with the 42min 10kers. My "stone in shoe" niggle seems to be under control, despite what is being seen as yet another misdiagnosed injury....big toe stretching anyone? I'm running in a more rigid shoe with an extra insole to cushion my toes and hopefully relieve the stress on my forefoot........so yes Alehouse I'm in a mood, but it was always thus....I'll feel a bit happier when I run a sub 60min 10M...but I don't think that's going to happen soonimage
  • alehouse wrote (see)

Evening!....

Welcome to the newcomers! Adam:  what LMH says. Run Wales:  if I am right you have done a bit of running in a previous life!

content abridged....

I think I might have chosen a username that is quite generic.  I've not had a previous username or anything, and I'd be surprised if our paths have ever crossed. I think your radar is a bit off, alehouse.  Perhaps too much time in the alehouse!

Cheers anyway!

• Lovely to see so many of the old crowd still here and running, and thank-you for the welcome backs.

Tom - Hereward - oooh yes.  Not this year for me though.

LMH and others - I don't know that I can quite blame the PD, except inasmuch as I find doing the day job harder than ever, so that flogging myself out the door when I am tired or making a day even longer by adding an hour's run to the front of it is something I'm just not very good at.  I don't think anyone has any very objective way of comparing energy levels with what they were a year ago, but I'm very confident mine are a lot lower.  

So today, I'm afraid, typical.  Intended to run in to work, had to change that plan in order to stop by GP's, didn't run in, got caught at work ended up staying late and finishing the job when I got home.  Only just finished supper.  Next chance for a run Fri. am.  Stairs.  Again.  This time sticking to the Plan (one step at a time, slower, and go for 10 reps (250m).

Still, if you don't do the run, you don't cane yourself afterwards.  That's bad mental manners.