Burnham Beeches 10K

MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I did this in its inaugural outing, which I think was five years ago ... came 7th as I recall, my one and only top 10 finish, yay!

All the pot hunters turned up the following year so that put paid to any more glory for me image

But this is a nice little run with a few ups and downs along trails in the Burnham Beeches forest amid lovely autumn colours and possibly with a little bit of mud. I'm in!

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Is it as long a schlepp from the finish to the HQ as the half mara?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

As I recall, no. It's a much smaller event than the half. Last time I did it, HQ was a desk in a small clearing next door to a cafe. Can't comment on parking because I cycle to events.

• looking forwrad to the run however totally unprepared.

Do you have your numbers yet?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

No, I'm assuming that we collect them on the day.

• Numbers are handed out on the day as it's a fairly small event.

There is on site parking at ??2, or you can park about 500 metres away in the local shopping parade car park for about 50p.

Be prepared for wet feet, it's raining cats and dogs in this area and some areas looked very wet today when I had a quick look.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

All the pot hunters turned up the following year so that put paid to any more glory for me image

Whistles uncomfortably image

Wasn't it a ridiculously low winning time of 41mins or something the 1st year, and then about 15 got under it the 2nd year image

I had a good race for 2nd with a chap who wasn't a local, but we came about 4mins behind Fabian Downs who was good back then but is phenomenal now!

I remember in the 2 lap course that there was one incredibly dangerous short sharp dip about 200metres into the first lap, meaning if you were in the middle of a herd, you had a good chance of going ass over tit!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

"Whistles uncomfortably image"

Yes, I was talking about you, Stevie G!

In the inaugural year only a handful of folk turned up so the winning time was soft and a good target for an easy kill the next year. Still, on the day you can only beat those who turn up, eh?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Brings back memories, as that was the one and only time I've raced 3 consecutive weekends at the same distance.

Henley, Frieth and Burnham on the sat of the next week.

2nd, 4th and 2nd, showing that even in low key races, some blimming fast racing snake(s) will turn up and have you!

Henley 10k was the inauguaral year, after previously hosting a shorter fun run. In their wisdom, they set us off 5mins after the half marathon runners...and guess what happened. We found such a road block, that I didn't see 1st or 3rd the whole race!

Frieth, again, the 1st year, half flat road, half very hilly both offroad and on. I remember collapsing on the floor at the end and thinking, if I'm in this state coming 4th, what's everyone like behind me image

Burnham was gruelling too...especially thinking there was only 100metres to go when actually 400+. That was a stressy finish, just nicking 2nd place for some Apex tokens.

Phew...memories!

I must admit I stick to bigger races for pbs these days, but I'm certain i'll be back for some pot hunting at some stage!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well, that was enjoyable. Going was a bit soft underfoot in places but otherwise good dirty fun. Quite a few ups and downs to keep us awake.

My aim in 10Ks is to do them in fewer minutes than my age and by my Garmin I reckon I was 5 seconds inside that. On a course and in conditions like today's I'll accept that and put it in the bank ...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

a generous allowance to slow by a minute a year i must say Muttley image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Yeah, but I'm not getting any younger you know image