Great South Run 2012

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@GF - knowing british weather we'll be pitching up on the day to either rain, wind, sun or a mixture of all 3!

@David - I love running in the UK because everyone is so friendly and you can always find someone to talk to. I started the GSR in 2007 and was so scared but then someone started talking to me and I felt so at ease that I managed to PB by 5 minutes. Since then, i've brought my mum along and it's her "A" race of the year. She struggles with Arthritis so is gradually getting slower every year (don't tell her I said that...!) so I use this race as a slow recovery run and help her out by running ahead to get water/jelly babies so she doesnt have to stop/ lose her pace by the crowd around the stations. I've been told that i'm cheerfully annoying at the Mile 8 point!

• @ Emmy - that's a lovely story about you and your Mum. I think I too start to burble after a few miles, as the fatigue kicks in and my faculties go off on their holidays.

Really looking forward to it (only my second event) image

• Emmy _H - are you and your Mum in the green wave (the cool one to be inimage)?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@GF - Yep - we'll be there! I'm trying to persuade her to dress up, but she's not having a minute of it image

• weather is looking OK though!

http://i.uk.imwx.com/global/images/93x93/30.png

High
    11°C
    Partly Cloudy Wind From West at 18 kmph Maximum Humidity 82% UV Index 2 Chance of Precip. 10% Avg. High. 13°C Record High N/A Sunrise 06:50 http://uk.weather.com/weather/dailyDetails-Portsmouth-UKXX0115?dayNum=9
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It's the best sort of weather! Let's see what happens for the rest of the week!

• Did a club hill session last night. My kneeeeeeeeees image

• Did 10.3m 'long' run this morning.  My feeeeeeeeeeet !  image

• @ Clatters - 10.3 meters is impressive stuff  image

• Thanks Dave - I figured I'd start low and increase my mileage steadily until next Sunday - perfect training plan, I'd say !!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm in taper madness image... well done on the Long Run Clatters. You need to take it easy for next weekimage

• Thanks Emmy, I'll try to take it easy !!  But I've been religiously following a crash 4-week training plan (for the first time in my 20-odd years of running), which gives me two 5-milers between now and next Sunday.  No time for tapering for me I'm afraid, but good luck getting through you madness !!!  Can't wait till next weekend - bring it on !!

• Yay! Feeling good now and them gremlins have been beatenimage.  A couple of short runs this week and I'll be there on the start lineimage Well actually quite a long way back from the start lineimage

Big sigh of reliefimage

Mind you I still can't get to the start area until about 10:45!image

Happy and injury free running to all this weekendimage

• went for a 5miler last night and shall be doing my last long run tomorrow. Then a shorter run mid week.

Feeling fairly well prepped image

• This time a week tomorrow......... image

• This time next week image (..... are we doing a countdown now? image)

Anyone else getting the train that gets into Pompey at 9-15am?

• Seven days to go. In fact, this time next week, we'll all be finished and in the pub/train home, or in my case, taking my son to a friends birthday party! Of course, living in Portsmouth, I'm already seeing the buildup. The yellow AA signs are starting to go up and I've seen a few banners appearing on part of the run route. Didn't manage to get out for a run though, so I'm hoping to get out for a short one through the week. if not, its all go for next Sunday!

• It has certainly been a 'this time next week' day todayimage

Going for a short run this evening to see if my cardio-vascular system is still working properly!image

Still have no idea how I'm going to be able to get to the start in time! LOL image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

10mile race done today....and i'm not doing another one until....erm..7 days time image

• Hi All,

I've been given an orange number for this race which seems quite near the front. However, my predicted finish time is just sub 90 mins. What times are other orange numbered runners expecting?

Im wondering if I should drop back to a slower wave.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DAM, i'm pretty sure there are 3 waves, so perhaps it's simply that you're near the front of one of wave 2 or 3?

• DAM sub 90 sounds like Orange to me, I'm in white and will be lucky to get sub 100mins.

Did a long 9 miler today first long run for two weeks as been resting the shins and so far no adverse reaction so hopefully all systems go for next Sunday.

My birthday on Friday so putting off the celebrations (if you can celebrate at 54!) until Sunday (and anyway got tickets booked for Skyfall on friday image), so with the following Monday booked off work this time next week I'll be the my local image

• DAM - my predicted time is 1:15 ... I'd say Orange is right for you. For the record though, I'll be starting midway in the wave, because I reckon there'll be plenty of 60 (or close) minute runners at the front of Orange !
  • Thanks everyone,

Sounds like I'll be OK at the back of the orange group.

Good luck to everyone in the race.

David
  • Think I'll be joining you int he middle section of the orange wave Clatters.

I put myself down as a predicted 1:30 as well, but I think I'm now aiming for about 1:20.

Went for my final long run this evening. 11 miles in 1:28:25, took a whole 2mins20 off my previous one which I was proud off. 

• WalkJogDave. Yes, know what you mean about the number - just had a feel, and it's just thick paper. It'll get damp, and it will tear. It's perhaps a decision that was made because the number is part of the letter and the promotional tokens, and it was easier to print on normal paper. You might want to look at where your hands move across your body when you run, and place the number higher or lower than that. Though sometimes stated as "not allowed", you can fold the number over so that it creates a smaller area. That is, fold back the Bupa name, and if needed, also fold back the Portsmouth name so that only the number is visible.  You don't actually need to have the number (you'll have your chip), but it's a useful way of finding photographs afterwards.

• JoGoSlow. I don't know anyone off-hand that is looking for a place, but if you still want to get rid of your number I can ask around.

I understand that if you've not had time for training you can feel a bit down, but that's just the way we are. On the day you'll feel better, and the  excitement will come. Probably better for you to just enter, relax, enjoy it, and see what happens.

As I'm getting old, my times tend to be getting worse not better, and I went through a period of not wanting to enter races as I had lost that excitement of chasing PBs. But there are still challenges and pleasures to be had. Even something silly like overtaking ten red haired men during the race! Or finishing in front of the rhino.

• OMG, woke up this morning to the Radio saying it might snow next wekend !!!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I've also heard bad news re: weather this weekend. Not higher than 10'c and biting winds from the north.

I ran Amsterdam marathon yesterday and got a new sparkly PB but am a little tender today! A few short runs this week and then the race on sunday.

• Cool for the GSR would be good (for me), but then so would downhill image