Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• OG - I was marshalling in 2009 and it was a thoroughly miserable day of rain and low cloud - or was that 2010??.  never mind - it was a foul day.

Lullington Heath is just as you come out of Friston Forest heading towards the Long Man - an open area with 2 bridleways crossing it so we are there to point everyone in the right direction

• fabbudda - 2009 was the muddy wet misserble year. It was my hubby's first Beachy. I got a lovely hug of you thou image
  • 2010 FB, couldn't see my hand in front of my face.  I wandered off course for a wee and couldn't actually find the course again.  I'd only gone about 10 yards.  It was bloody awful.

• Ah, so maybe both 2009 and 2010 image or maybe I missed a year image

• I think it absolutely chucked it down the whole day in 2004 as well....

• 2009 was def pants. I thought 2010 was better, though anything can happen atop the Downs. It can be beautiful warm and Sunny in Eastbourne and the most frightful peasouper above.

I'll prolly go for a bimle somewhere over the Downs on Sunday and see all the Beachy hopefuls out training. It's been very busy these past few weeks esp around Littlington.

• Anyone remind me of what time the registration is on Friday Evening, seem to have lost the email!

Hoping I've done enough, training was going well, three half marathons in as many weeks but then got a chest infection last week so just hoping I can shift it!

Just hoping that the sunshine coast lives up to it's name, the 10 day forecast is good, but not sure how much of the route will have dried out by then.

• Here is the registration bit from the e-mail (just copied and pasted)

REGISTRATION – will take place in the registration marquee which will be situated on Helen Gardens (next to St. Bedes School) You will be able to register and collect your number and timing chip on either Friday 26th October from 16.00hrs – 21:00hrs or Saturday 27th October from 06:00hrs - 08:30hrs. Please note registration will close PROMPTLY at 08.30hrs on Saturday morning for a 09:00hrs start. Registration will be organised in alphabetical order, please report to the table relevant to the first letter of your SURNAME. You will then be issued with your running number and your electronic timing chip.

I hope this helps image

• That's great, thanks for that, good luck!

• GHallTN6 wrote (see)

Just hoping that the sunshine coast lives up to it's name, the 10 day forecast is good, but not sure how much of the route will have dried out by then.

it's not living up to it's name at the moment - it's peeing down - again. and more tomorrow.

you can more or less guarantee that most of the wooded and chalky tracks are going to be muddy/sticky/slippery now as they won't get time to dry out.  some of the open grassy trails will be OK as they soak rain up well.  

it's a trail shoe year

• Hope the start hill is not muddy
  • Can't believe it is less than 10 days away now!

Looking forward to it but the nerves (and doubts) are starting to set in - perhaps it wasn't wise to choose this for a first marathon?!

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the race. Will look out for FB @ Lullington Heath.

For those of you who will be there, if you see a balding lonely guy in a Royal Marsden running vest looking lost/scared please say hello as I don't know anyone else who is running this.

• Pretty much the same as you "CelticRunner", just hoping that the thrill of the race will get me round, I do have a slight advantage/disadvantage in I know a lot of the terrain from walking and cycling, just never ran it!

It's that icy chalky stuff that's gonna be dodgy in the wet!

• "It's that icy chalky stuff that's gonna be dodgy in the wet!"

teflontastic!!  you'll need to be careful on the downhill chalky sections - and where algae has given it a green skin, then avoid those bits as you'll be A over T.   and if the chalk is very wet and muddy, then it sets like concrete as it dries out.  

nice eh??image

• I'll lookout for you Celtic I'll probably be wearing yellow and black Pirate top, but there may well be others in the kit. (although I also fit in with the balding bit but I am also short chubby and balding)

It is a tough event to do as a first marathon but I would not treat this as a typical marathon. Flat road maras can be just as hard as you are flat out the whole way round chasing times. At Beachy its more about just getting round in one piece and enjoying the banter and comradery of the other runners.

Just rember to take it very steady for the first few miles even though its probably the easyest bit, the climbs later on will take their toll.

• Celtic Runner, it was my first marathon too. If I do see you  (though with my times I think it might only be your back view at the start!), I'll say hullo.

Forget times, forget running all of it, the views are put there specially to slow you down  and make you stop to look at them (assuming it's not raining so hard you can't see them), just talk to people, eat everywhere, take a mac and crampons, and you'll be fine.

Worked for me!

• GHallTN6: Presuming the TN6 part of your name is part of you postcode you must be fairly local to me? I am down by Crowborough station.

See you all a week Saturday - I may be going down this Saturday for a short run along the last section.

• CelticRunner: Lol, yeah, I'm up in Southridge, going by your name I was hankering you might be a bit further north (But I'm down at the station every morning).

Where do you run local and are you on Strava?

• Celtic Runner - there is a lot of my club (Dagenham 88 Runners) doing this. For a lot of them it's their first marathon, do you will not be alone image

Can't believe this is my 7th Beachy image
  • Celtic/GHall

Crowborough Station isn't that in Jarvis Brookimage

I am not to far from Crowborough myself, in fact I was there at the Rugby club two weeks agoimage

• Hi all, just over a week of prep left before the race, call or text me on 07557530303 to book a sports massage to get your legs ready to go, book for this saturday and get 20 minutes foe £10 (usually £18). The clinic is in Eastbourne with plenty of free parking image

Emily

• Crowborough RFC - always used to enjoy beating them.....awful bloody muddy pitch back in the day when I was playing

• FB, I was watching my nephew play Hove and Crowborough got whooped 60 - 0

Nice club house thoughimage

• have they got a new clubhouse??   it was a bit of an old shed when I was playing...

• QBQB ✭✭✭

yeh I remember it as an old shed on what must have been a rare long range away game...

BHM on the other hand leaves many fond memories so all you first timers will love it and it's a great one to start with as so supportive

not looking fwd to the mud but on the north downs this sunday for Greensands and it's still going to be raining so hoping that seven days later it feels relatively dry!

• TG: yes the station is in Jarvis Brook - it used to be called Jarvis Brook station.

GHall: I am originally from South Wales, but moved down here many years ago.

Crowborough had a new club house built last season and the pitch has had a lot of improvement over the last several years. I remember the old shed and boggy pitch from when I used to play against them - always a hard game due to conditions and he fact that it was a local derby. Doing quite well at the moment - promoted to London South East 2 this season have only last 1 match last season. Currently top of the league having won 4 out of 4.

• Celtic. I thought the club house looked new. I used to play for Tonbridge OJ's.

Anyhoo if you are going to run the bit from cuckmere to Beachy Head the route from Birling gap doesn't go straight up but it takes the lower path around the hill.

• CR - who did you play for??  I used to play at Lewes (83-88) and Heathfield (88-93) and then was Chairman, and a VP at Heathfield but have no involvement now bar through old friends who are still active in ways with them.  I'm also a South Walian...Cwmbran.

• I played for Uckfield until the end of the 2003/04 season. Have the same involvement as you now - via friends but have more contacts at Crowborough and work with someone who plays for Medway (the other team promoted with Crowborough). Am planning on going up to watch the Crowborough/Medway match m,iddle of next month - great excuse to check the bar in the new club house works properly!

I'm from the Rhondda originally but my family moved down to Uckfield with work when I was little.

• ah - we always had good battles with Uckfield when I was playing at Heathfield - but clearly before your time and before the league system started.  strange to think that I retired from rugby 19 years ago....