Friday 19th October 2012

Morning 

Todays lyrics:'What'll you do when you get lonely.'

What:4.5M Easy/Steady.

Why: I like it.

To quote the Nike advert. 'You either ran today, or you didn't !'

Right coffee calling so catch up again over that.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

And so you should be Tom!

I shall Pammie.

postie - was it two or three years ago we last chatted before the start at Abo?

What:             30 minute easy run
    Why:              taper
    Last hard:      imagining running 26.2 miles
    Last rest:       16/10

Lyrics - no

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH does it not get easier?

Alehouse Day 2 on road to recovery

What: probably nothing

Why: working till gone 6 and a bit of a cold coming on.

Last hard: ?

Last rest: Wednesday

Lyrics: no

8.2 last evening 5.1 of which with JS group.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Blisters - well dug out 20+
    Tom - good stuff on the track. You should be pleased with sticking with it, and enjoy todays recovery run!
    Good luck Abo runners, hope the wind stays low and rain holds off for you
    lyric - not today, although did finally gets yesterday's artist (if not the song)
    What - perhaps 6 easy
    Why - bailed on yesterdays (planned) tempo. Ran at lunchtime, got a couple of miles in and felt totally drained without really pushing the pace. Eased off and just did 4 in ~32mins. Sometimes it goes like that, so we'll see about later. Tbh been feeling tired all week so maybe its nature's way and all that.
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - getting up this morning

have a super weekend

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

Taper: I wish

What: pain

Why: anaesthetic in leg has worn off

Last hard: see what and why

Last rest: all I'm doing for the foreseeable

Not seen consultant yet since op: should be this morning, followed by physio

Thanks for all the recovery wishes!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning all, no to the lyrics again image

Doubt I'll do anything today, feeling drained and wanted to do Parkrun tomorrow and have a 6 mile trail on Sunday, so gonna have a day off and see how I feel in the morning.
  • All the best for Abingdon to LMH and Postie ...

• Good morning! TFI Friday...

chicakdee I've not done the Stratford route but the scheme's fantastic, it's a great way to talk to other runners. I love running on my own but am slowly coming round to more sociable running! 

What: Nothing.
    Why: Rest before parkrun and Cabbage Patch on Sunday. 
    Last hard: Hung at the back with a newbie Homerunner for yesterday's 6 miler, so took it very slow. Last hard Monday's pitch black lap of Hyde Park trying to keep up with so called 'intermediates'! 
    Last rest: Today and then some of next week 'pre-conditioning'. I've decided to follow a training plan for my next half marathon (Brighton in Feb). First time following a plan, I'm going to see how well I can stick to it. I've decided to enter my first marathon towards the end of 2013.

Lyrics: Nope. Yes good luck Abingdon runners!

• What Assignment
    Why unexpected day off work
    Lyrics no

LMH we met at Abo 2008 with Bedders, SF2 and I think Rich K was loitering before going to the Fetch Point. I think this was also Blisters' pb race. We met again the following year when I was cutting the timing chips off peoples shoes. Wouild be good to see you again.

• 2008?!? Blimey - doesn't time fly! I probably wasn't terribly social when you were removing chips as I tend not to be able to breathe for a while after finishing which is worse if I stop dead so I apologise if that was the case image I shall be wearing my pirate buff which should make me easier to spot.

OH - I think the day you stop worrying about the distance you're in trouble, no matter how many you've done running a marathon is still quite a major undertaking.

Alehouse - hope your pain is controlled and the news from the consultant is good.

Dustin - hope you're not coming down with anything.

AR - sounds like a sensible decision.

Georgina - I run on my own most of the time due to the strange times I can run but agree that it's a pleasant change to have company on occasion. Good of you to run with the newcomer.

Last 30 minutes run pre  Abingdon completed. Still have no real idea what to expect - or what to aim for given compromised build up. Painful as it was the massage does seem to have helped as the odd sensation of running on the outside of my right foot was definitely less noticeable this morning - unlike the bruising on my ITB! Still, it has another couple of days to settle down.

• Good morning. Yesterday's lyrics were 'Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)' by Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

Today is a rest day. On Tuesday I did a tough 10M with club plus an extra 3M owing to a missed bus, followed by 6M steady on Wednesday and 9M yesterday a bit quicker and hillier.

Parkrun tomorrow (don't know which: thinking about Bramhall) and a big run on Sunday.

Best of luck LMH & Postie for Abingdon.

Keep on battling Alehouse!

• Good morning.
    Nice to hear about Tom's training, and sorry to hear about antipodean ailments.
    Alehouse, this is about the time when you start to realise the difference between a niggle and proper damage. It's the key time to be acutely aware of infection, but the good news is that day by day it should be healing now. Just don't do anything dumb.

Hopefully I'll get something done later today. The minimum is taking to bike for a service! A gentle run (inspired by Nike) or a mile swim, or both.

There's definitely something jittery about the thread today, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I shall leave you with the inspirational thought that fellow forumite, Pirate, mentor, pacer and dry wit CRAB always says at the start of a marathon.
    "26 miles? That's a bloody long way..."

• Afternoon!

Good luck to anyone doing a milestone race this weekend. And to those who are incapacitated right now.

What - 4 miles easy

Why - taper

Last hard - Tuesday

Last rest Wed-Thur

Lyrics.  No chance.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Stickless hello!!!  I was getting worried, we hadn't heard from you in so long.  I'm glad you're ok though image

Will read back soon, just wanted to say hello.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

good luck lmh and postie!!

oh hope you hold the cold at bay

alehouse hope all goes well for you today and pain eases soon

gg good luck for your races too!

what: rest day

why: off to my mums for the weekend, will try and fit a run in though

last hard: last night, just 3.5 miles shoulder stopped it from being 4

last easy: weds

have a good weekend all, look forward to race reports!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Best of luck to our racers this weekend. Remeber to HTFU when the going gets tough image

NZC & Dustin: hope you feel better soon.

GGG: those home runs sound like a great initiative. I worked stupid hours in London though (and still do, just not in London anymore) so it would have been difficult. But still, sometimes it's nice to to be in a group and chat away.

what: something short later
    why: can't get up at the mo ... have turned into an evening runner. Unheard of image
    last rest: Monday
    last hard: 7/10
    lyrics: no

Have a great weekend, all! 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

ahhh I was wrong on yesterdays lyric after all then 7D...thought it was the editors...
    GGG - good luck amongst the cabbages on Sunday

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

sorry didnt get to post yesterday

6.02m yesterday with 2 x 10 mins of threshold

Today 4.25m easy

Take care

(lyrics - think I should know them but not sure...)

• Evening

Blisters A good 20miler

RFJ: Yesterday sounds a good hard session

Stickless: It's good to have you back.

postie: hope you got on fine with assignment.

• Evening all,

So much for good intentions then. On one day, and then half a weeks sails past before I get my beak in again, let alone get some running. 

Postie, LMH, all others racing - best of luck.  Abo this weekend - the only mara I have run twice.  Enjoy it.

Tom - good to hear you are evidently well stuck in to comeback mode.  Just don't break, yes?

Alehouse - indeed, lets hope this does the trick, and that you can get back on the right track.  As others have said, it's been a wee while.

Blisters - well done on the 20+miles, I can imagine that last 1.something mile.  We all know them too well to forget.

NZC - hope your are feeling better.

Me? Nada, in the end. I caught the family revised standard version of Freshers Flu.  All of us are down with it, son 1 was thinking of hoisting a yellow flag above the door. I think in my case early action, or more acurately, inaction may have paid dividends.  Hope either to sail or run on Sunday.  Sunday is the last potential sailing day for me this season.  

• Evening! Hospital bed swapped for son's (fortunately he is working away!). Struggling to use the sticks...only did the tiniest bit of walking and climbing with the hospital Phys and that was too much. Consultant pleased so far, though.

Stickless: hope you are able to get out there and do something!

Racers: go well and report well too!

Yesterday read Born to Run about the Tarahumara indians: inspiring! I know Birks enjoyed it and it is definitely on my list of running books to recommend.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse - if you haven't already then it's a good idea to customise your crutches by getting a roll of cotton wool and a large roll of micropore tape. Wrap the cotton wool thickly round the handles and compress and secure with copious amounts of micropore tape - makes things much more comfortable, as do cycling gloves. Is your pain better now?

Ah, the dreaded Fresher's Flu Stickless. Hope you're much improved by Sunday.

• Thanks for the tip LMH. Having had a fairly pain free day after the first couple of hours (tramadol seems to suit) things are not good this evening. Pain is temporary, pride is permanent!
  • Ale I was told that a cut will take 10 days to heal, and if the two halves haven't joined up in that time, they won't. So tick the days off slowly and do some jigsaws. Read Shades of grey, or whatever it's called. Play Nintendo. Do anything except compromise the wound. I did notice that you read a whole book yesterday, Good Man.

Finally, at the tail of the day, I managed to get a bike ride. Interesting, as I'd just taken my proper bike for a service. Therefore I was on my old machine. It's SO MUCH more comfortable. However, descending a monster hill at breakneck speed it decided to start a harmonic steering wobble. (40mph?) Obviously I'm alive. Thankfully I got it controlled. The more I think about it, the more I realise that this old bike always was prone to it.