Speed Endurance for 10k?

Comments

• Thanks bud,

Its by no means certain though. I've been trying all year to crack 37! image

• Fair enough, nothing is easy in this sport. lol

• Update:

Last Friday's workout was 10x 0.5 mile reps with 1 min rest at predicted 10K race pace with 1 min recovery between each rep. They averaged out at 2:53 per rep, where 'hopeful' race pace will be 2:55 for each half mile in next week's 10K.

On Monday, I attempted a 5K time trial at predicted 10k race pace and came in at 18:11......so hopefully still on course for my first sub 37 min 10K.

Tomorrow is 4 miles at 10K race pace. If I can blag this in around 23:30 I'm hoping that I'm on course for the race on the 18th......

• jamie-im similar to you in that im hoping to go sub37 on sunday.ive been on 37.02 since june!im hoping that the mile reps@10k pace are the key.i also like 6-8 800's@5k pace
  • Hi Steven,

Yea, specific speedwork for 10K training is tough! I do reps of everything from 200m to 1.5 miles. But only two speedwork sessions a week, the rest is made up with a long run at 7:20-7:30 pace and other lower distance easy runs to fill up the rest of the week.

I do like to do time trials at 10k race pace which is what I've concentrated on in the last few weeks. Nothing replicates the expected breathlessness or discomfort quite the same. Monday was 5K at 10K pace, today was 4 miles.

As for the 4 miles I thought I did ok, I was hoping for 23:30 and came in at 23:25. I'm just hoping that I can squeeze another 2 & 1/4 miles on top of this at the same pace on race day next Thursday. The four miles weren't exactly easy......

• i rek you wil nail it!them tempo runs look spot on.i did a 5k parkrun last wk in 17.38.i find a 5k race makes that 10k pace slightly more bearable come raceday.
  • Cracking thread this. Thats brilliant advise Jamie Newton 2 going to Cliff 781 in my opinion anyway. Keep it going with this thread. I've never understood what with the secretive training thing. If someone wants to know what ya doin then tell em I say. You must be fired up like Zatopek to do that 4mile race pace effort. That sounds really painfull, but hey it'll get results if its backed up with some easy/slow consistent miles.
  • Fair play Jamie some tough sessions you have done there in the last few weeks, good  luck with the race, hope you smash the time. did a hills session today, pushed hard up the hills then slow jog down 10 reps, starting to feel much fitter now too recovering after each session fairly quickly, no stiffness or feeling tired the next day. 

p.s. welcome steven and andy nice to have a few more join in on this thread image 

• cliff781 Just read from the start of the thread, tis good to see people progress like you have an see that your willing to work for it. I'm hoping to do some hacking at my short race times in the new year too so will defo enjoy reading how you progress. Keep at it. image
  • morning cliff781.the gud thing with this running lark is you get out of it what you put in and once you achieve one goal you move onto the next.im a relative newbie and didnt think in just over a yr my times would come down from 41 to 37.im sure you will break 40 soon.luck plays a part tho especially with the weather!!!
  • Nice comments guys. Keep up with the training.....

• Hi Guys, been reading this thread and although I'm not in your league, I too am aiming for a PB in a 10k in November! 

First started running - well more like jogg/walk to begin with!! -last year. Did my first 10k in March in ermm.....74minsimage! Did my second 10k in September in 68minsimage.

I'm hoping to do my November 10k in under 65 mins and my goal is to get a sub 60 which of course is nowhere near your times but hey it's a goal nonetheless! And it's  going in the right direction!! 

I realise I need to do some speed (eek!) reps and will consider your recommendations (although the speed times are way out of my league). I have a heart rate monitor so I'm going to use that. My long slow run is about 8 - 10 miles - and it is slow! I read not to go over 70% of your MHR i.e.  MHR-RHR x 70% + RHR. Most people don't take into account their RHR.

Any other tips guys?

• I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as well, had a bit of a break from running recently, but have got my mojo back image

The last race I did was a 5 miler in June, and came in at 34 mins 31 secs, about a minute shy of my pb over that distance. I'm building up to another 5 mile race and attempt on the pb on boxing day, and after that my next target will be a sub 40 10k, so will be interested to try out these various speed sessions.

• Susan Neilan wrote (see)

Hi Guys, been reading this thread and although I'm not in your league, I too am aiming for a PB in a 10k in November! 

First started running - well more like jogg/walk to begin with!! -last year. Did my first 10k in March in ermm.....74minsimage! Did my second 10k in September in 68minsimage.

I'm hoping to do my November 10k in under 65 mins and my goal is to get a sub 60 which of course is nowhere near your times but hey it's a goal nonetheless! And it's  going in the right direction!! 

I realise I need to do some speed (eek!) reps and will consider your recommendations (although the speed times are way out of my league). I have a heart rate monitor so I'm going to use that. My long slow run is about 8 - 10 miles - and it is slow! I read not to go over 70% of your MHR i.e.  MHR-RHR x 70% + RHR. Most people don't take into account their RHR.

Any other tips guys?

Hi Susan,

I wouldn't worry too much about speedwork at this stage. I think your times will still reap the benefits of increased mileage for quite a while. How many miles do you tend to do on an average week?

• Hi Jamie, thanks for the advice. I do around 21 miles per week at the moment.

• Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)
    Susan,

I wouldn't worry too much about speedwork at this stage. I think your times will still reap the benefits of increased mileage for quite a while. How many miles do you tend to do on an average week?

Susan

to be honest i would say exactly the same as Jamie Newton with his comment above.

cheers for the encouragement Jamie.

i had a 10k race on sunday it was good to get within 57secs of my pb at Flintshire 10k onwards an upwards.

• I'm still in the process of building my miles up before starting serious speed work, have learnt from previous experience that rushing into it only causes injuries, so agree completely with the above advice.

I'll probably start off with one run a week involving some fartlek training, just to get used to different paces again, but it'll be done on how I feel rather than rigid distances and speeds.
  • Keep up the training everyone, good luck with the 10k Jamie is it thursday?

I did another 8 mile run tonight, was a hilly route, fairly tough did it around nice and steady at 9min per mile.

• Sounds like a good workout Cliff...........and yea 10K is tomorrow evening.

The weather on the Island is not good though. Thunder this morning, gales and almost permanent rain! I just drove round the circuit this afternoon and several sections are underwater, so I'm hoping that it dries up over the course of tomorrow.

The elements can really play havoc on PB attempts! Fingers crossed it all comes together.

Sadly the next 10K locally will be in March.....Doh!

• And hi again Susan,

Once you are up to 25 miles a week, that would be a perfect time to introduce perhaps one weekly speedwork or interval session. Nothing too taxing, perhaps 6 x half mile reps at a pace a touch faster than usual with 2 mins recovery might be a good start. If your usual pace is 10 min mile pace, perhaps aim to do your reps around 4:30 pace - 4:45 pace.

• Jamie Newton- did you pull off the 10k? I'm hopin to smash a 10miler on Dec 9th. Allmost the same as this threads idea so think i'll stay here I think. Sub 57 hopefuly image just hope I can maintain racing weight till then (10st10)
  • Hi Andy,

I did the 10K yesterday........and success! 36:53 was the time, the hard work came good. But it was super painful, miles 5 & 6 really hurt.

I'll post up my splits later on and best of luck in the 10 miler, sub 57 would be impossible for me at this stage.

• wel done jamie!

I had my sub 37 attempt last sunday and hallelujah i did a 36.54!

Im tempted to have another pb attempt before the end of yr at 10k.wot about you?have u got any other goals at other distances?
  • Bloody well done Jamie. Nice one putting up with the pain of mile 5+6 its well worth it tho aint it.
  • Hey thanks loads gents. Yep its worth it, I'd have felt bad coming online to say that I didn't meet my goal after all the hard work.

What are the chances Steven, congratulations? That would have been a tough race between us!!! Ouch...

Yesterday's mile splits were:

1) 5:49

2) 5:52

3) 5:53

4) 5:58 (Starting to hurt)

5) 6:02 (Really hurting)

6) 6:02 (Really Really hurting)

Last 1/4) 74 secs (Close to collapse, ha ha)

And yea, I do have a few goals to crack in the next few months.

Sub 5 minute mile. My current PB is 5:02

Sub 60 min 10 mile. (closest thing I have to a PB is enroute to a 10.5 mile trail run at 63 mins odd)

Sub 29 min 5 mile (Current PB 29:32)

Sub 18 min 5K (Never raced the distance but have done 18:10 in training)

• some similar goals there jamie.

you wil smash that 5k goal next time.my current pb is 17.38 which i have ran the last 2 5k's ive done.

my 5 mile pb is 29.32(weird eh!)although only ever done 2.

my main target is to go sub 80 at half marathon.current pb is 83 but that was in may off minimal mileage in training.

like you i would like to run a sub 60 10 miler.llandudno is the perfect race for it.shame its not until next june!!

whats everyone elses goals on this thread?
  • on the whole target thing I've sort of got an idea/plan of breaking the year up to set pb's at the various distances from the mile up to the half marathon.

Current pb's:

Mile- 3000m- 5,000m/5k- 10,000m/10k- 10mile- 13.1mile

5:02- N/A - 16:22 - 34:28 - 57:19- 76:50

Targets

Mile- 3000m- 5,000m/5k- 10,000m/10k- 10mile- 13.1mile

4:59- 10:00 - 16:00 - 34:00 - 55:00 - 75:00

Hoping to get the mile pb in the bag before Jan is out for a start.
  • Some scary comparisons there Steven. I don't suppose that you are 5ft 9 and around 11 stone too? Ha ha

And Hi again Andy. Some terrific times there, absolutely superb! Its strange that we have the same mile time, yet you destroy me in every other distance. Perhaps some high intensity speedwork might help you get that mile time down and help form the basis of your improvements in the other distances. Or was it just an older recorded time?

• Its interesting isn't it my 400's on tuesday were done at 75secs/5 min mile pace.

I'd like to work from the short distance up next year because I feel that I could really improve that 10k time by a lot if I I got the speed sorted out. I'm hoping to do 5:28pace or better to go sub 34 so perhaps a sub 5min/mile up to a 5:10pace for 5k should make 34 min 10k pace seem doable.
  • I think you might be right there. Strangely I do my 1/4 miles at 75 secs too. 12 reps with a minute rest......not much fun!