Boat Race

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm not ploughing through all that pompous crap. Brief executive summary please if you want to be taken seriously.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ha ha "Colin" is your real name Genghis?
  • i work with someone who was on the jury for this case

she told me that the principal point in deciding if he was guilty whether his actions had 'disrupted public enjoyment' of an event, or something similar, it's an old legal term from the 19th century

anyway, i suppose half a million people on the riverside count for public enjoyment...

• Lots of us train hard or work hard at our jobs or hobbies and try to be the best we can.  We get knocked back by situations outside our control.  Its tough, but thats life and we have to live with it.

Should the person who derailled my project this week be sent to jail?  I'm quite upset about it and physically hurt where I thumped the wall.

• I hope it doesn't set a precedent, or we'll have people throwing themselves in front of racehorses.
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Funny how severe the sentences get when you annoy the toffs. This shows how unfair our society really is.

This guy is a toff himself anyway, so that blows your theory apart. Now run to the kitchen and make us a cup of tea duck, there's a good girl. image

• Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

SuperCaz wrote (see)

Lots of us train hard or work hard at our jobs or hobbies and try to be the best we can.  We get knocked back by situations outside our control.  Its tough, but thats life and we have to live with it.

Should the person who derailled my project this week be sent to jail?  I'm quite upset about it and physically hurt where I thumped the wall.

Did the person who derailed your project commit a criminal offence?

If the hold up of this project prevents someone from having surgery then potentially he could be responsible for causing someone to die.  I guess that could be considered a public nuisance.

• He's an Australian who was protesting about something he did not like about this country.

Why lock the poor dear in a British jail when it would have been cheaper to give him a one way flight back to Oz.

• BIKILA wrote (see)

He's an Australian who was protesting about something he did not like about this country.

Why lock the poor dear in a British jail when it would have been cheaper to give him a one way flight back to Oz.

So it's gone full circle. We used to send our criminals there. image

• 6 months seems a bit steep for disrupting an inter university rowing competition - I didn't even realise they still televised that boat race - must be 30 years since I saw it.  

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    I hope it doesn't set a precedent, or we'll have people throwing themselves in front of racehorses.

I was scanning this thread wondering why it had got so much interest. The mere fact that it has got the interest and argument flowing says a lot. What I understand is this:
    -There is a right to peaceful protest in the UK.
    -If you break a law when doing so, you pay the appropriate penalty.
    -The legal system should take into account case law when deciding guilt/innocence and the level of penalty.

Q) What sentence did the protesters get for ruining the Grand National in 1993? (Like all sport, an equally pointless exercise)
    Q) What sentence did the streaker get for interrupting the cricket at Lords in 1977?
    Q) What sentence did Greg Chappel get for deliberately hitting the streaker with his cricket bat in 1977? (OK I thought it was Botham, but close)
    Tip) Don't run in front of the King's horse at the Epsom Derby (8 June 1913), you might make a name for yourself but could end up dead.

Just a swim in the river, just a bit of dented pride, he should get community service...?

You all have very bad judgement if you think it's so trivial. These athletes trained hard, up at the crack of dawn every day, etc, for a year, for a specific event they were entitled to stage uninterrupted. The BBC spent hundreds of thousands of pounds trying to film it. One arsehole takes it on himself to ruin the whole thing singlehandedly and you really think 6 months (reducing to 4 months) is excessive as a sentence?

If I was the judge I would have given him 2 years.

Err Colin I am so glad you are not a judge as you seem to have so much out of perspective. It seems that you would ban all spectators from any event unless there was perfect behaviour by YOUR standards. This is why judges have guidelines for sentencing. You would also cost the country a fortune sending people to jail.

• An over-severe prison term for a protester who put the nose out of the elite of society? Does this sound like the situation in Putin's Russia? He should call himself Prick Riot
  • Maybe it's that long because of previous convictions being taken into account............

• Was he protesting against something? The story I read said that the Judge considered the fact that he did not clearly identify his cause was a significant aggravating feature and part of the reason for the custodial sentance? French farmers used to disrupt the tour de france every year, but early in a lesser stage. This way they got publicity without ruining the race. I remember Bernard Hinault wading into the protestors with his fists because they broke the unwritten rules! This guy could have got easy publicity for a cause without ruining the race if he disrupted the start; but seemed to just want to ruin the race.

Have just been told it was the Paris Nice race and they were shipyard workers!

If people can't conduct sports events in peace, they won't bother training for them. A Leeds supporter came onto the pitch and slapped a goalkeeper during a match last night. I suppose you think he shouldn't get at least 2 years in jail either? Cos then, you know, it'd cost the country a fortune wouldn't it, sending people to jail.  We don't want that, do we, actual cost?

I don't think a wee bit of open water swimming is in the same league as a physical assault.

• Interesting thoughts, I agree with Sussex, you annoy the so called Elite, watch out! and looking at the incident last night, alright the Leeds supporter should not have been there and will quite rightly be jailed, but the 6 ft 4 and 15 stone Kirkland went down like Audley (or is it Audrey) Harrisons grannie.

2 years for the assault and 6 months for the blatant dive.

Also agree with Nursie above, I guess he has as uch right to a little open water swimming, as they had to do theor rowing, and finally not nice to call people stupid Colin, as in this instance it normally ends up appearing the other way around.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Is he still banging on about it? image

• Colin as I said people have a tendency to use the word stupid because basically they've run out of intelligent argument or sensible things to say, I was reading through and expressed my genuine opinion.

I thought your veiws may have been alcohol tainted being on a friday night but I see maybe there is another reason, and I really I don't think you should be calling people's views stupid looking at the crap you've been putting out. Now go and have a lie down and recover.

You're pretty stupid then, aren't you?

Charming

I can see the steam coming out of your ears from here.
    Do calm down dear, you don't want to burst your senseofhumourectomy scar 

• 2 years for the assault and 6 months for the blatant dive.