Running the Isle of Dogs

I'm looking at moving to the Isle of Dogs soon and just wondered if it was safe to run along the river at 5 in the morning?

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I've never been there that early but it's a regular running area of mine and I reckon you'll be fine.

• Thanks Phil, any suggestions on routes?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

On the Isle itself I often just use the road loop: Westferry Road/Manchester Road/Marsh Wall as a nice flat, fast 3.2 mile route, often for tempo runs.  There's a few side turnings to look out out for but it's generally quiet for cars and pedestrians.  You can also run along the Thames Path for the majority of the stretch parallel to Westferry Road, from Westferry Circus down to the foot tunnel by Island Gardens, although you need to come back on the road for a small stretch.  The other main routes for staying off-road are the paths around Millwall Inner and Outer Docks, or around Millwall Park.  All nice and flat and quiet.

If you want to go further afield, I thoroughly recommend the Limehouse Loop as described on the Serpentine website.  Pick it up at Limehouse and follow the canals along Limehouse Cut, up Lea Valley past Bow flyover, by-passing the Olympic park, left along the Hertford Union Canal, south side of Victoria Park, then back down the Regents Canal back to Limehouse - a very pleasant 10k.

Alternatively head south through the foot tunnel for more hilly running in Greenwich Park, over to Blackheath Common, or for more of the Thames Path in either direction, particularly a 4 mile stretch which leads out to the Thames Barrier via the O2.