Is this to be expected?

I am on the wrong side of 40 and after a decade of little exercise (I had 3 children) I took up running early August. I finished the couch to 5k in 8 weeks and was thrilled and feel so much better. I run on mountainous roads and thought I was really pushing myself. I run 5-6 times a week (5kms), then walk another 5kms after the run. I still find it a struggle to do the 5kms especially at the beginning of the run. I really thought it would be much easier at this stage and although I love it I am disheartened as I was hoping to up the distance by this stage. I would appreciate any advice or similar stories from people in my situation. Many thanks

Comments

• bettycat wrote (see)

I am on the wrong side of 40

You mean you're in your 30s? image

One thing to remember is that it takes the body a while to get the oxygen transport fully working, it can take a mile or two sometimes. Until its up and running properly it's common for it to feel hard. You might even feel it suddenly clicking which is what we call getting 'second wind'. If that takes 2 miles and you're only doing 3 it doesn't leave much of the run to enjoy! Also if you live in undulating territory make sure you don't run uphill during the warming up phase of the run unless it's unavoidable.

Joe (49)

• I think you need to move on a bit now, you're on a plateau. Try running a bit further once or twice a week.  If it is seriously hilly where you are, don't be afraid to walk up a few hills on a longer run.  Or go somwhere a bit flatter, perhapsa canal bank and run 5k out and 5k back, see how you feel.

Puffy (51)

• I would try a Bridge to 10k training plan so that you can structure your training. Here is an example of one but don't be afraid to run and walk to build up the distance.

Each workout includes a 5 minute warmup walk and 5 minute cooldown walk Week 1 Duration: 53 min.
    Run 10 min/walk 1 min Repeat x 4. Week 2 Duration: 57 min.
    Run 15 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3. Week 3 Duration: 63 min.
    Run 17 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3. Week 4 Duration: 66 min.
    Run 18 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3. Week 5 Day 1: Duration: 55 min. Run 22 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 2: Duration: 61 min. Run 25 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 3: Duration: 71 min. Run 30 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2. Week 6 Duration: 70 min.
    Run 60 min.
  • i alwaysw hate the first mile of my run.and then it usually gets easier.........i think yoiu also need a new focus to stir things up a bit.good luck

• That is great, thank you everyone for all your good advice. I am glad I posted as I thought I needed to keep up the 5 kms instead of increasing it. However following your advice I will increase my fitness as I definitely feel it click in to place after about a mile of running which , as joe says, It's not leaving me much time to enjoy the run! I plan a run in the park today which has no hills and hope to up the distance! Thanks again , I appreciate you taking the time to reply