Trionium Greensand Marathon

Comments

• Leith Hill Tower is definitely the best place for spectators - you get to see the runners twice, there are good view and they do tea and cakes from the little shop in the tower!

Along with two stalwart marshals, Nick and Mike, I ran the third quarter this afternoon,  taping and painting. By gad it was tough. It is extremely muddy. You could certainly get away with doing it in trainers (which is what I was wearing), but trail shoes would probably help if you have them.

Good luck all!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    What about Ewhurst Windmill? Good spot? Then they get to see me twice in 10 minutes!
  • Did somebody mention Spencer Davis? One of their first singles (and, for me, their best) was "I Can't Stand It"

"Keep On Running" was, of course, swiftly followed by "Somebody Help Me"

You don't have to be an old git to work here but

• ... it helps!

Leith Hill Tower and Ewhurst Windmill... they can see you going rapidly downhill (literally).

• Going to be muddy tomorrow me thinks. A night of rain will make sure of that.

• Forecast is now for rain all day... Come prepared!
  • On my way home after a tough run!

Thanks to all the marshals for standing around in the cold and mud for so long and being so supportive.

Best looking medal yet too!
  • At home after the toughest physical experience of my life. Absolutely buzzing. Got the Luton Marathon in a month. Easy. Thanks to all the marshals, all the speedy front runners who gave sloggers like me lots of encouragement.
  • My first marathon image

I hope that I'm not too sore tomorrow.

Thank you Dr Robert for organising and thanks to everyone else involved.
  • Knackering - that's the only word I can use to describe it. Collapsed in a heap at the finish line - just under 3:55 so mission to get under 4 hours accomplished, but by God the last 6 miles were tough despite being downhill. Serious lactic build up meant I was just ticking the miles off and looking forward to getting home.

Like every Trionium race I've done, it was muddy, sadistic and impeccably orgnaised and marshalled. A huge well done to Dr Rob and the team of marshals.

• Dr Rob and Marshall,
    just a quick thanks for another excellent race, a bit muddy today but at least the rain held off. Not sure why I live in hope that these races get easier by repeating them...ah well maybe next timeimage

Well done to all finishers too and hat off to the brave ones who chose this as their first marathon!

• Well done to everyone. It was great to see you all at half way, looking really cheery :0).
  • What a run, possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. That strecth from Leith Hill back to the ponds was sapping. I know it was all downhill but is destroyed me and as for the Nower I was nearly in tears headed up that. Great race though and I will be back next year for sure

• Thanks for the comments guys - they're really appreciated. Damian, I knew that feeling, in the Snowdonia Marathon a few years ago. Tough old races, for sure.

Results are now up - via the race web site - www.trionium.com/greensand. Make sure you refresh your browser window to see them...

Please remember to rate the race - thanks.

See you all on the hills!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Dr Rob. Amazing day. FYI, that link is dodgy and sports some errant punctuation.
  • Just wanted to say a HUGE thank-you to Rob and his superb team, for such a brilliant race! Even though I only completed half the distance of you guys, I too thoroughly enjoyed myself in some kind of weird way!! It most definitely was the toughest half-marathon that I have ever done. I take my hat off to everyone who completed the full distance! No doubt that I will return to the Leith Hill half-marathon in March, all going well. Thanks again for everything. image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Happychap, missed your singing.
  • Thanks to Dr Rob and the team for a really well run event. It was a fun course and a great atmosphere. I enjoyed the race despite coming a cropper on a rather innocuous flat bit of track so finishing with less than the ideal amount of skin.

Thanks,

Another Dr Rob
  • Hi Guys,

Some pictures of many (sadly not all) of you at http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1515055955

They're pretty much raw from the camera, and many would benefit from a bit of work, but Dr Rob asked me if I'd take as many general pictures as I could, and it's just too much like hard work to get the best out of all of them before you've all forgotten about the event entirely! (Some people, and they know who they are, even had the temerity to suggest that taking pictures was somehow easier than running the marathon. I shan't dignify that with a response.)

No nice indexing by name or number either, but if you know when you were at Leith Hill, the Radnor Road car park, the halfway point, the Plough pub or the finish line, you can work out if there's a picture of you by looking at the filenames (and adding an hour because they're timed in GMT just to confuse you.)

If you see a picture you'd like a decent copy of, drop me an email at gm2012@rsn-tech.co.uk and I'll see what I can do.

Some of you will know me from previous events, but I'm not there as official photographer, I'm there to support my wife (Amanda #155, 4:50:06). That means that if you're too far ahead of or behind her, you're much less likely to be photographed. Sorry about that, but absolutely anyone who does that course, regardless of time, has my admiration and respect!

• QBQB ✭✭✭

I remember you well - two fellow runners and I were shooting straight on through the car park before you yelled us back to turn right. Saved us som extra distance - which was the last thing that I would have needed.

Mud made this harder than otherwise might have been but great course and organisation. Well done to Rob and marshalls, much appreciated your efforts and support. Congrats to all runners.

Five days taper now before I see some of you again at Beachy... and I'll probably take even longer there than here!

• Here's something that might be of interest...  From 2013, if the race takes place (the doubt originates from increasingly burdensome paperwork, ever-increasing costs to stage the race and difficulty of enlisting sufficient numbers of marshals to ensure that the race can be organised safely...), it will include - officially for the first time - a half marathon option. The Greensand Half Marathon will be run on the same course as the Leith Hill Half Marathon (March) - up to just beyond Leith Hill Tower and back, on the same course as the Greensand Marathon, starting half an hour after the marathon runners. Entry numbers for the races will be strictly limited. From 2013, all MP3s/iPods etc will be strictly banned on the course - we've previously politely asked runners not to use them! Hope that's in order.

• Absolutely SUPER! I will most definitely be there. Fully understand, and appreciate, the costs and manpower involved in staging such a big event. To include a half-marathon option will, hopefully, cover the costs. Any date yet? LOL! I want to make sure that I won't miss that one. image

• Any information on when the 2013 race entries will open (or have they closed already)? I keep checking the website but there's nothing about how to enter on there. I'd really like to do this one this year!

• Lemony wrote (see)

Any information on when the 2013 race entries will open (or have they closed already)? I keep checking the website but there's nothing about how to enter on there. I'd really like to do this one this year!

Same here - I left a note on Dr Rob's facebook page too. I really want to get a spot on this. Something epic to aim for and just up the road from me.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I did this in 2012 - it was an epic race! I will definitely be trying to improve my time in October. If you haven't already checked them out, the other Trionium races are excellent; good atmosphere, great trails, spectacular views, awesome challenges and woprthwhile giveaways (I never buy running tops anymore, I just wear my trionium tee's).

• Lemony and Kharnivore -

Entries for all Trionium races have always, AFAIK, been handled exclusively by the Runner's World system. If the system's not advertising the Greensand then the race isn't open yet.

I notice that the Leith Hill page on the Trionium website has a link to its Entry Sytem, and that the Munro (22 June) page says that Entry will open in February.  That four-month lead time suggests that the Greensand will open in June.

Rob usually broadcasts an email about a month before a race saying that it's filling up; if you check the website every month I think you'll be OK. The Greensand is a superb run across lovely countryside, and I hope you'll enjoy it. It is, however, only a curtain-raiser to the Picnic (June 2014), generally regarded as a cynical and brutal waste of young (and middle-aged) lives.

• BRM you made me laugh out loud. If I survive Greensand you can expect me at Picnic image
  • Gotcha back, Khanivore. image

Come and do the Munro in June - it's half of the Picnic, so twice the fun. 

• I considered it but I think I will give it a miss. After the VLM I am going to spend several weeks just training at a low heart rate (HADD style). Consequently I wont be able to train on hills (which I am really bad at by the way).