Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• X - post, great run there Also ran. The first sub 3 is a really special feeling!

• Well done to all you runners today.  Having run the Abingdon Marathon last year I wanted to put something back into the event and volunteered to do some marshalling this year.  I was posted out at the 11 mile / 20 mile point in Milton Park (just before the water station) and had an absolute blast cheering all you guys and girls.  From the leader to those at the back of the pack - you're all heroes and were fantastic.  How on earth so many of you had the energy to wave, smile or throw back a witty comment in response to me cheering you on, I don't know.  If anyone is thinking of marshalling - do it.  I really, really enjoyed today and loved cheering you on.

Oh yes, to the runner who ordered a cider on lap one and then had the wherewithal to cancel it on lap two, to show such humour when in such agony - BRILLIANT.

Well done once again !!!

• Reaching the 20-mile marker will live with me for a while. I had been paranoid about missing the cut-off but in the end made it with plenty to spare. Thank you Chalgrove for being part of making this a great day for us all. I enjoyed exchanging banter with marshals where energy allowed.
  • I didn't order that cider, but I'm certainly drinking some now. Sheppy's Dabinett Apple single variety - posh cider indeed, and 7.2%!! Last one of three before I collapse into a heap and wake up blaming dehydration for feeling like cack until teatime image

• The odd thing about the Tilsley Park showers is that they are too hot to be useful after a track session thereimage

• Well done everyone for yesterday ecky I said hello as I passed image I disagree with those saying its not a fast course, it is very fast. Yes there's some raised bits and potholes etc but having run various marathons around the country this is the fastest by far!! Excellently organised fantastic marshals you should all be really proud of yourselves. I will most definitely be back next year. I set off what I thought was a bit quick averaging around 6:20's and managed to settle in just behind another guy and after about 10 miles we started picking people up. A bit early in the race for me to do that but I felt comfortable enough so went with it going through halfway in 1:24:10, I was aiming for 1:25. Again maintained a steady pace upto 21 and left my running partner behind (felt a bit guilty lol) and from 33rd at mile 17 worked my way to 18th at the finish with a 10 second neg split of 2:48:11 a 7 minute pb. Really really chuffed and totally unexpected!!

Thanks to everyone for listening to my boring posts and whines post holidays this thread has been a really valuable training tool and I hope to see you all next year image
  • Well done everyone - some great stories on here already - pleased that everybody is so pleased !

Got home to Devon, via Wiltshire, too late to post last night. Long drive was difficult with marathon legs - several stops and cups of tea.

Always knew that it would be Proud Dad v Competititive Dad yesterday (those that have been on the thread since the bginning will know my thoughts on this !). Pleased to say that Proud Dad won out and my 20 year old son debuted at 2:49:03. He ran it like a professional 1:24:58 at halfway and 1:24:05 for the second half !! Was in the same group as him at halfway and still on rough 2:50 pace at 20 miles (2:10:15), but legs tightened disappointingly at 20 miles and slowed by 30 secs/mile eventually coming in at 2:53:16. Not quite the sub-2:50 that I dreamed of but still a pb by a minute and first V50, so mustn't grumble.

Waiting for MG15's post - my son thinks that he was about a minute behind you which means you achieved your sub 2:50 goal - 2:48 ?  If so that's fantastic - very pleased, you certainly put in the work and got what you deserved.

• Fantastic result MG. I saw your time on the results page, and it was a just reward for the training effort you put in. Not surprised you are chuffed. 2:48:xx sounds amazing.

You are right about the course - when can I rebook a place! Ran Leicester last week which was flat, but Abingdon was something different - a real PB hunters course. 

• Hi Fido.We had 6 runners in the CRAC team so it may have been them as you would have been well in front of us. I was near the back for the whole thing. Well done on running 10 and a bit min miles. I want that for my next one.

CC were you the very same chap who offered us Beer only to dissapoint us with just water image. Thanks so much for the amazing support although it was much better seeing you the second time at 20 miles.

Thanks for that MG. Going from 6st overweight and struggling upstairs to completing a Marathon I must admit that encouragment from the Fast Runners means more than anyone could imagine. I would love to do this run again next year. Well done too on such an amazing time.

• Tick Tock -  Congrats on the PB and negative split,  impressive.

SR3 - Well done on your first, first of many?image

Chillies -  Good effort, yeah always enjoy the walk back to the car park.image

Hellen -  Very good running 2 in 2 and an impressive time.

Peter -  Congrats on the big PB.

Steve - Time does n't matter, we all have our targets, you got around and finished massive congrats, these speedsters spend under 3 hours giving it their all while you were out there 5 hours, who had the hardest day?

Ecky -  same to you brilliant effort getting around.

AR -  Massive congrats, sub 3 PB well done.

Warren -  Still a very good time given your build up. If only I could speed up in the last 3.

Martin -  In my books performance of the day, quick time never in doubt given your training but a 7 minute PB at the pace you run is dam impressive.

Dart - Brilliant family day out, congrats to you and your boy.

• My report copied from the sub 3:30 thread.

Barry B wrote (see)

So Abo, perfect running conditions even if a little cold before we set off.  Starts at the athletic track so really good facilities. Got there a little early as allowed time for fog. Felt reasonably confident, planned to set off between 7:10 and 7:20.  First mile is one lap of the track then through some tight twists and turns before out on to the road. Past a turkey farm and then down a woodland path  before heading into the town centre. Splits for first 4 miles -  7:24,6:55,7:03,7:15.  Through the town centre and along the river - lots of support, start the first of the 2x8 mile loops just before the 6 mile point. First gel at 6 miles, always slow down when I take a gel just can't help it.  Out in to the countryside and through a village, through the hour at about 8.3 miles, I'd broken up one of my electro tabs into thirds and added one to my water at mile 9 splits for mile 6 to 9 -  7:07, 7:16,7:08, 7:14.  Still plenty of company.  Garmin a little ahead of the mile markers, Mile 10(second gel), 11 through an industrial estate, Fetchies at mile 11, through halfway just over 1:34 - perfect. Lucozade stn at 14 but passed. Splits for miles  10 to 13 - 7:13,7:13,7:14, 7:11. Start the second loop and having felt OK so far started to feel the pace a little but no major worries.  Missed the 14 mile marker due to taking second electrotab so had next gel at 15. Runners now spaced out.  I thought my pace was dropping dramatically but was n't as bad as I thought, splits for 14 to 17 miles - 7:25, 7:13,7:23, 7:12.  Took gel at 19(4th) through 20  at about 2:25 I think, I kept think keep this together and you  will do it. Splits for miles 18 to 21 - 7:27, 7:28,7:32, 7:30,  Really starting to feel it now overtaking a few but getting overtaken, needed something, did n't want last gel so at lucozade stn took and bottle, bad mistake, one swig, too sweet for me  and nearly puked.  Kept saying to myself nothing over 8 and you will be OK.  Finished second loop and back along the river towards town centre, starting to lose it now, gel belts get taken off and chucked.  Through the underpass and 2 miles to go, "keep them less than 8".   Which unfortunalely i did n't, splits for 22 to 26 - 7:34,7:51,8:13,8:17,8:09  back to the athletics track but you have to go around some parkland before a final lap of the track to the finish.  I keep checking my watch and try to push on, just before 200m to go I see the finish clock on 3:14:35 -  I ain't going to do this. Turn into the final straight as it ticks over 3:15,   Looked up at the clock when I finished 3:15:09. Last bit was 0.35 miles at 7:10.

If you had said at the end of August I was going to run a PB I would n't have believed it .  So very happy I turned my training around, Very happy with PB and very happy I did n't cave in totally in last 3,  a 7 min positive split which is good for me .  But I think the problem I have is I don't have the mental toughness to push through when the going gets hard.  Celebrating with a bottle of red tonight and celebrating eldest daughter's 18th tomorrow.

• Thanks Barry,so that was your Gel belt.

• Those 9s must be really annoying Barry, well done on the PB and others too, some v impressive times

I agree that this is one of the faster courses but I think it depends where you are running. The person above who said it was fast did 2.48, it is not busy at that time. For me on 3.19 it was very congested on the narrow parts especially for the first lap. Last year on 3.37 and previously on 3.52 I don't remember it being a problem. Those early miles on the off roady bit with the big puddles were not good with the congestion.

It is definatly flat though its just when it busy and there is uneven surfaces with puddles it does slow you down.

I'm looking forward to my track marathon in a couple of weeks time!!!!
  • Some great stories here! 

That was my first mara, what a mind game that was! The early pace felt so slow, I was aiming for (in priority order)

1 Finish

2 Sub 4

3 Sub 3.50

I set of slow, but felt so good I was averaging near 8.30 per mile, which felt great until 14 or so miles, then I realised I might be in trouble! Managed to back the pace down to 9ish per mile adv, then hit the wall at 22 miles, so did the last 4 in 10 per mile pace.

Spent the last 4 miles swearing I'd never do it again. Seconds after crossing the line I'd decided to take a charity place at Brighton!

I found the race a bit lonely at times, but the support that was there was ace, as we're the marshals.

Oh, and was it just me, or did anyone else think the person that put the coffee at the top of the steps at the end a bit of a sadist?!? Was pretty comical watch people trying to get up the steps, then get back down again with race bags, stiff legs and a cup of hot drink image

• Barry- a great PB, and you know that next time you get on a flattish route you're going to nail that 3:15 GFA.

Happy celebrating - it was the boy's 25th yesterday. I believe Mrs C has given him rather a lot more money than she's telling me about (well he is moving out FINALLY next weekend, so no doubt she'll have paid his deposit, at least)

• Well, managed to get in just under 3:35.  Happy with that, considering ran three times in the three weeks leading up to it.  At one point had resigned myself to not starting, last long run 5 weeks previous.

Have to agree with all the positive comments re: all the marshalls - lovely, funny, very very encouraging, and the Cadets calling me "Sir" - well, I thought that was incredibly lovely (though not deserved!)

Hellen - if that was me running alongside you and 'blocking' I apologise, I was running alonside a lady for a few miles.  Not deliberately blocking or piddled off with a woman overtaking (quite the opposite), I was struggling and trying to keep pace - hanging on to someone that looked like they knew what they were doing, then I'd back-off and get overtaken, then try and hang on a bit for a while (for grim death!!).  I spat a lot - but to the side after checking no-one there - as I have difficulty with clearing throat on the run.  Hope it wasn't me, as I'd like to think I was more considerate, but if it was, please accept my apologies, no offence was intended.  Well done all!

• Oops, forgot to put my time in, 3.57 after not really doing the longer runs. Dead happy with that!

Also great support from other runners, spent most of the course with a few people.

• SR, it wasn't you. I checked the results and he did a few min behind me.
  • Ecky - if I'm marshalling next year I'll bring some beers for you image

• Some great stories, I have spent the last 15mins reading them. Special mention to Barry to have turned it around in just 2 months, from HM pw to a marathon PB!

Spent the whole of my race running with a club mate, who was running a similar pace to mine and was going for pb (around 3.25). Unfortunately, was not able to help him along to his pb, as we both finished in just over 3.34, well outside our targets, Despite the time, really enjoyed the race, and cannot wait until next year.

Well organised race as usual and my thanks to the fantastic marshals as usual. Only downside was running through the muddy/flooded field in last mile. I thought I was going to get away with dry feet!

• I will have to do it again then if you are getting the Beers in C/C image

I dont know about anyone else but Im still on such a high.

• Cheers tick tick there's some great photos there!!
  • Thanks Tick Tock. I dont think I have ever had so many pics from a race.

• I did it. The marshals were amazing. Truly super. I have no idea who the lady was at mile 22/23 ( she had her bike with her and a blue and silver helmet) but she saved me run. Thank you so much. If anyone knows her, please tell her that the banana meant o finished.
  • She was amazing wasnt she By Eck and so lovely.

• Nice easy 1000m swimble this evening (I only swim at one speed and it ain't quick. Hopefully that should shake out some of the aches and pains. Anyone running today or tomorrow? I'm leaving it until Wednesday.

• Chillies - don't think I've swum a total of 1000m in my life - sounds more onerous than a marathon to me. Just been out and run a VERY steady 2 miles - feeling better when Ifinished than when I started - should set me up for a steady one at club night tomorrow. Might have Wednesday off then !

• That's a long way Chillies. I will leave running till Thurs. I lead a beginners group so can take it nice and easy although I wont be heading off with the advanced group.

• I've run twice today's and done spin too! Legs sore on the run but ok in spin