Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• Hi Alan I am doing the series and I've been training 6 months for this one, it's feeling a lot better today so I'm optimistic about making it at the moment.
  • Do we really have to wait 9 more days? Starting to get itchy feet!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I'm spending the taper on YouTube; never watched an episode of Seinfeld but this made me laugh:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khys7LfwT8c&feature=related

• Hi southport dont put yourself under to much pressure just tick over this week and massage both calfs as much as possible. And Sean you can get powder for your itchy feet from chemist Ha Ha. Good luck to you all and I'll see most of you at 8.5 miles and just over 20.
  • Hi Southport, I had my first ever Sport Massage 3 weeks ago and found it soooo painful and that was without injuries!! Debating whether to go for another one this week, as I can claim the cost back!

I've not run all week - I've come down with a Viral Infection and a cluster of coldsores!! I never realised the effect tapering can have on your body!! Fingers crossed I'll be OK for next Sunday.

• I wish I was doing the marathon now!! I signed uo for the half instead as I thought I would still be recovering from the Loch Ness marathon 3 weeks ago. I am still recovering but have found it really difficult moving back to the increased pace. I am a much better half runner than full for some reason.

Anyway did 8 miles at 8min pace this morning, hopefully I can slow that down a touch and get a veteran PB (currently 1.47), not sure I can do 1.45 but hopefully 1.46 if my legs don't give up on me after Loch Ness.

Good luck to all of you doing the marathon, I might just sneak in by mistake!! Well maybe not!!

• If you wish to do the full email the organisers they may swap you to full up until tomorrow pm as they are swapping full to half.
  • just done my last big run 13.5 thats me all done now till next sunday,cant wait now.

• Yep... me too, though not quite so far.

Funny that my Saturday morning run, at just 9.5 mile run, seemed just sooooo short. I felt a bit cheated!  I did try out the High5 gel out though.  Obviously not long enough run to see a benefit, but at least I was able to show that it didn't make me sick!

Just a very minor twinge in my quadricep... not pleasing, but sure that will be gone in a couple of days.

• 12 more tomorrow for me. Wish the big day was tomorrow though. Tapering is a bit frustrating at huis stage. Getting some early carb loading in though!!
  • alan taylor 6 - Thanks for the info. I'm going to stick to the half I think. I want to get my veteran pb down as low as possible and this will be the start of my prep to do so. I have a pb of 1.36 and a vpb of 1.47 so I am aiming to get it down to 1.40 by the end of next year so no more marathons for me, the training is just too hard and takes up too much time especially at the weekends when doing the long runs. I am looking forward to doing the half regularly especially with long runs only being 12 miles! I will still be a tiny bit jealous when I see the marathon start next week.

Good luck everybody for the marathon!

• If your local to preston or lancs give the inskip half a go on 20th of jan good course and organised by yours truly. I need to get myself doing some more speed work to try and get my halfs back to my best of 1.32 but just need to put in the effort. if you are local give me a shout and we could meet up on a few training runs good luck next week.
  • Thanks for all the positive comments and hope you all stay injury free for next Sunday and remember that the clocks go back. Melanie if you fancy another massage go for it. I'm doing calf stretches with no pain now and feel ready to run but think I'll cycle today and run tomorrow a couple of miles very easy, feeling anxious, nervous and excited now!
  • This time next week...

Great day for last longish run of 12 miles.  Wholewheat pasta check, brown rice, check, wholemeal bread check, must be marathon week!

• Hi Alan I was going to ask if you werethe Alan Taylor that organises Inskip. I have been looking for a HM for Jan so definitely do this one now, then Blackpool in February which I have done a few times. Then looking for a half ot maybe even a 20 in March/April. I am hoping to do Chester Half in May as that is why my PB and my Veteran PB are both from (although they were different courses)

I live in Chorley, training is difficult for me as I have to go early mornings in the main because of work commitments, thats why the full marathons are so difficult to prepare for. I will sign up for Inskip when I am paid next week, in the meantime if you can recommend any other races that would be great.

Good luck to all doing the marathon and the half next week. My aim is to do the next Preston Guild Half, mind you that will be in 2032 and I will be in my seventies!!

• John Owens 5, if you can do the travelling, there is a good half on Anglesey on 3rd March across Menai Bridge to Beaumaris Castle and back http://theislandrace.com/. Worth the trip as the views across the Menai straits into Snowdonia are stunning on a clear day and not a bad undulating profile.  There is also one in Betws y coed in April http://www.runwales.com/events/betws-y-coed-half-marathon-fun-run but its got a killer hill in it so not a pb course.  No doubt there will be some closer to home though.  Did you do Chester this year? Personally I prefered the old course but nice finish in the city centre.

• If you fancy a 20 in March, check out the Trimpell 20. Flat run around Lancaster
  • The nerves are kicking in now for my first half, but I am calming myself down by thinking about all the pasta and rice I will be eating at the end of the week, My friend just did her first half this morning in Birmingham so I'm feeling buoyed on by that.

Not sure I'm ready to contemplate the next one yet, but another local one might be good in the new year. Have you got any maps of the course Alan? 

Hope everyone has a good final week- I might see some of you marathon runners when our two races merge, which I think might have an interesting effect on everyone's pacing. 

• I cycled the route today , as roads are closed on the day does that mean for cycles as well. Wondered if I could nip from pub to pub to cheer the mighty Claire on.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

On my first marathon in Edinburgh, as a cyclist "dangerously" sprinted across my path; I shouted "Cheat!" thinking what a hilarious observation it was, but, as he disappeared in a second I ended up with several runners angrily glaring at me having disturbed their karma and no doubt thinking the jibe was directed at them.

Definitely go for that massage Melanie, I have one booked for Thursday.

• Sean and Slokey Joe. Thanks for the info, definitely have a look at the 20 near Lancaster.

Sean - I did Chester this year, I preferred the older route, althogh did like the city centre finish. Too many runners also, especially at the start where it was very congested and again at the turn round point at 6/7 miles. I recoken the congestion cost me at least 2 minutes and stopped me getting a PB. Will start nearer the front next year!!

• 9 the course is closed to all traffic but you can grt from the windmill pub north past bnfl up to the hand and dagger then west on to kirkham rd up to the derby arms at treals and round to the eagle and child but once you get to blue moore rd you will need to get of the one way sistem and find your way back into lea town to see people at the smiths arms.

And penguingirl if you can find the old thread of this years inskip there is a garmin readout of the course.
  • Cheers Alan. See ya Sunday :-}
  • I did this 13/14 mile loop of the route today :

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/d8d055fa556b4298848d4eae9872374b?unit=mi

As reported a few pages back,all  the water has all gone.

In regards to the inclines, to those that have done London or Edinburgh - this is going to be a tougher route. Those that havent done those runs, the inclines are manageable, but make sure you get your pacing right.

All the road closer notices are out, so that was good to see, in the sense that it brings it all home to you. Not long now guys and gals!!

• I'm staying at my mums in Penwortham. Anyone know which roads between there and town are closed (and when) so I can plan my route into town Sunday morning?
  • Think your stuck if its by car unless go under the fly over until you get to the park and ride and turn right and then right again up hartington and then up christ church st which will get you as far as bow st and then its on foot.
  • Thanks alan. I guess my only alternative would be to take a long diversion through Lostock Hall and Walto le Dale and into town up London Road.  I'm guessing those roads should be open?

• Hi All,

I'm also running the Preston Marathon next week.... Does anyone have any advice on preparation in the week leading up to he marathon.

Good luck and have a good race :0)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hi Robert; in these coming 3 days I'm doing 3 miles easy; 4x400m sprints, 3 miles easy. My schedule says 2 miles easy on Saturday, but, I'm usually travelling on those days and on my feet for a good while at an expo. collecting number, getting to a hotel, looking at a new city etc, so I don't tend to run that. Keep hydrated, think "pasta, pasta, pasta" - or equivalent carb laden goodies - and don't do anything out of the ordinary like re-decorate the kitchen because you have a few evenings free. Just cruise on up to the big day feeling rested and eager to run.