Marathon plans for 2013

Hi

After my first year of marathon running and having completed 3 marathons I am now thinking about the challenges I want to take on next year.

I have had highs and lows this year but overall I am really pleased with the experiences I have had.

Next year I want to do an ultra and get a sub 3.15 marathon. I am thinking the sussex endurancelife ultra in March and possibly berlin marathon in the autumn.

I wonder what everyone else is thinking about how 2012 has gone, what have been the highlights and what people are thinking for next year?

Comments

• Hi G,

I just did the Pompey RLNI 10K,  that was good.

• Hi GG

2013 i have a place in London.  I've just done Cardiff Half and i did Bristol Half last year.  I enjoyed both of them and will hopefully being doing one of them again next year.   I love the big city events but it costs a fortune with travelling and accommodation.    Depending on budget etc i would like to do a race overseas.  Have been to Benidorm and Amsterdam with the running club and had great weekends.

Good luck with your ultra. 

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    2013 possibilities ... Thames trot, cts Sussex ultra, Blackpool marathon, centurion SDW or NDW 50, centurion SDW 100, Swiss alpine marathon, Abingdon marathon, Omm, beachy head marathon just a few ideas not sure which I will pick although already signed up for the Thames trot, Blackpool and SDW 100 image
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Did Debut Chester marathon Oct 2011, and Chester 2012, achieved 3:47:51 PB at VLM2012. Leeds half was 3 weeks after London and a PB gained 1:44:05.

In 2013, sign up for Gtr Manchester marathon and will probably do Leeds half again (2 weeks later) and Chester third time lucky.

Natural target for me is sub-3:45.
  • Andrew I did Manchester this year the route isn't too bad just hope you get better weather . I don't think I have been so cold in all my life
  • London will be my spring marathon, but trying to decide one for the autumn.... Debating between a Berlin or perhaps the Royal Parks Ultra.  But I've got my eye on a few others, did Loch Ness this year and really enjoyed that one.

• Does anyone know of a 'definitely be cold weather' marathon that they would recommend for next year?? I know of the Appledorn mid winter marathon in Holland on Feb 3 but I need longer than that to train now, so I guess I would be looking at the other end of the year ie late Oct/Nov. I was put off London after training in the freezing winter of 2010 only to be greeted by a heatwave on race day 2011 (if anyone remembers it) had a bad experience so I'm looking for a cold marathon?? Any recommendations?

• Aizxana - I was looking at loch ness, it looks like fun, was it good? I want to do a fast autumn marathon and thats why I was thinking of Berlin. After a 3.20 in liverpool I think with a bit more training 3.15 is achievable but not if you are running up mountains.

I am thinking - off road ultra in march, yorkshireman half marathon (did the full one this year) and then Berlin, probably squeeze a few other shorter races in too

• GEE GEE did you enjoy Liverpool?? Great time! I'm orignally form Liverpool and was thinking of that one next year would you recommend it? I'm looking for a cool weather marathon as per my entry above don't want to get hit by a heatwave hate running in high tempsx

• Dee - Liverpool was brilliant, perfect weather cool but not freezing. I had a nightmare with both my other marathons this year, manchester was a freak -2 degrees with freezing wind and rain (lots of people pulled out with hypothermia) and then the Yorkshireman (a fell marathon) was unseasonally hot at about 27 degrees. I was sweating in a vest before the start. It was insanely difficult and got cramp at mile 17 which stayed with me right to the end. The organisation of liverpool, the route and the support was brilliant. the guy who organises it, Alan, did a fantastic job. I would highly recommend it. I think I will do it again probably the year after next.

• Next year? I'm not very focused. I'd like to run 5 & 10k and get my PB's down. I'd like to do some track events. I'd like to know a minute off my hm PB.

I think that I may be running a marathon as well. I guess that'll just be a long run somewhere very hilly. I'm only doing it for the beer.

• Having done a marathon in each of the last 3 years I decided to have a break from them this year.  Did the Prague and Munich half's and shaved a few seconds of my PB in both.

Want to get back to doing a marathon next year and am eyeing up Amsterdam in October.  By the way, I highly recommend Berlin gee gee.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

*cough*.... I already have a fairly solid plan:

January: Enigma Winter Double marathon
    February: Malta marathon
    March: Eco trail de Paris
    April: Paris and Antwerp marathon
    May: Mont St Michel marathon
    June: Giantshead marathon
    Sept: Berlin (still need a place) marathon
    October: Cologne marathon

So... i've still got a few spots....

• Emmy H - oh my goodness me!!!! Keeping busy then!!!!!!! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've gone a bit mental this year.... but Yes... Keeping busy!

There are a couple that i've done as half marathons and really enjoyed so I want to see what they are like as full marathons.

• Emmy you will need to fit in your psychiatrist appointments before hand and your physio appointments (to get your legs sewn back on) afterwards image

I need to think about getting a place on berlin I take it I should be dealing with this sooner rather than later

• I think it's bloody brill Emmy H! I just ran my first 1/2 and just can't wait to do more. x

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    gee gee wrote (see)

Emmy you will need to fit in your psychiatrist appointments before hand and your physio appointments (to get your legs sewn back on) afterwards image

I need to think about getting a place on berlin I take it I should be dealing with this sooner rather than later

I've already been called anal for my marathon spreadsheet for 2013. Its listed with all of the planning requirements (flight/hotel) on one sheet... I think it's just practicalimage

• Blackpool Marathon & Half Marathon, New venue for 2013, start Blackpool Football Club's famous Bloomfield Road Stadium, finish on the pitch. 5000 car parking spaces on site, Hotel overlooking the finish inside the ground (book early will soon fill), expo Saturday, Charity pre race party Saturday, 100 toilets on site, race video on large screens within the grounds.Run the Golden Mile and all Blackpools famous sites on the route. Blackpool, Europes best visited holiday resort, over 10 million visitors in 2012.  Look at early entry and loyalty points sceme on www.fyldecoastrunning.org.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@rocketron - are you running it or promoting it?

• I've a marathon to come for 2012 - Portsmouth Coastal.

If that goes ok, I'm hoping to go for:

Malta (half) & Berlin Marathon

Already signed up for Wokingham half, Reading half and BUPA London 10k.

Also hoping to get to 100 Park Runs in December this year and get my black T-Shirt image

• Emmy - I take it you are an accountant by trade as they love their spreadsheets image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol. Nope. Project Manager - I like making plans!

• of course, I bet you have loads of different shapped boxes with arrows between them.

andyp - when are you thinking of signeing up for berlin and good luck with portsmouth costal, is it a hilly one? 

• Hiya all. I've decided to run my first marathon in Dublin next year. I had no luck with the VLM ballot but want my first one to be big but familiar, and I've been to Dublin a few times. From what I've read it's a good one for newbies and very supportive crowds. Seems to be on a Monday though which is strange? I'm intending to follow the Hal Higdon novice 2 training programme. 

• Georginagem - I was speaking to the guy who runs my local sweat shop and he was raving about dublin, said the crowd is amazing not to hilly and it is done on a bank holiday so plenty of people about  

• Emmy-H

I'm one of the organisers, had a very successful press launch today.

• Races booked for me next year are Silverstone and Brighton Marathon

I'd like to do an autumn marathon, i'm very tempted by NYC marathon but its not gonig to be cheap so would need to work out the logistics of it all and see whether its possible

i'm thinking of doing the HM that is set in Blackpool but on 24th Feb, its called something else ( cant remember without looking ) but its a couple of laps I believe 

I'm actually looking for a 20miler race if anyone knows of one about March time as that would fit in nicely with my Brighton marathon training plan

• ToucsToucs ✭✭✭

3rd March 2013 - Spitfire 20 - starts and finishes on the Top Gear race track.  2 x 10 mile laps in the lanes around Dunsfold.