Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Congrats to everyone who did proper marathons at the weekend. Good stuff by all it seems.

Had a week off last week after 3 races in the previous 6 weeks. Back today preparing for the swindon 10k in 4 weeks. Hoping to beat my PB (47.33), and dreaming of going under 45 minutes on what Is a very flat course. Looking forward to it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Signing in from yesterday. I got a new PB too! 4.55.53 and all I heard in the stands were RS and RR shouting "YOU'RE GOING TO RUN SUB 5!!!!!". It wasn't a bad day but the wind on the course was not pleasant. I also found it a little dull but maybe that's just me?

@Kaz - i'm so sorry to hear you had a bad race. I think we should wrap you up in cotton wool from now on!

@Stray Runner - Sorry to hear that you had a bad day at the office.

Well done to everyone else (Neil/Weezy etc.) on great runs!

It was such a nice weekend to put faces to the names on here... although going home on the train being drunk was quite eventful. I was convinced that I got on the wrong train!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

How are you feeling this morning Kaz?

• Yer- maj- washed oot and tearful! image legs aint too bad, but sore chest and very sore otherwise..... Plenty of fluids on agenda... having coffee in preparation for a days sightseeing 8(

Obviously have a very worried BF, he foned me at 6.30am our time(so 5.30 for him!!image)!!! And he's just phoned again!!
  • Thank you all for your kind words.

Neil- thinking of resting and nothing else for the future, right now I think Paris is going to be a holiday with no running image

I have had 2 months of hell health wise, and obviously something not right so that's my main focus now..... I need to get better for my kidz, it's not their place to be looking after me!!
  • Room for another couple ?

Red
    3434 Neil Belgium
    5995 Bedders
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8843 Oops
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    15080 Ward 6
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38591 Febo
    39107 Trevor Olver

39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39658 Iain Moore 2

39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    59447 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus

• argh,..  you messed the format up..  hang on..

• Red
    3434 Neil Belgium
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8843 Oops
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    15080 Ward 6
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38591 Febo
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    59447 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Hope you have a good day sight seeing in Amsterdam today with the kids.

• Take it easy now Kaz...  no need for heroics...  hugs..

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Emmy - Well done on your PB.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz, two thing:  Firstly, take it very easy today.  Really.  Sightseeing is fine but take plenty of breaks for a sit down and fluid - you being teary is not a good thing, it signals that the world has tilted somehow...image

Secondly and most importantly, don't let DV hug you.  He's a very naighty boy.

Spartan Dave - dinnae mess with the formatting, man.  This is a very anal thread you know...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Yes jolly well done you - 90 seconds faster than my Paris time image  I saw on the Amsterdam thread that you saw some suffering - I reckon the back end of a marathon is a brutal place to be, I certainly saw some suffering in Paris...

• yer_maj wrote (see)

Spartan Dave - dinnae mess with the formatting, man.  This is a very anal thread you know...

OK.. Bye then

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - I agree with yer_maj take it easy. Maybe do one of the canal cruises and grab a drink or two in a coffee shop, not a "coffee" shop.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Kaz, two thing:  Firstly, take it very easy today.  Really.  Sightseeing is fine but take plenty of breaks for a sit down and fluid - you being teary is not a good thing, it signals that the world has tilted somehow...image

Secondly and most importantly, don't let DV hug you.  He's a very naighty boy.

I agree with Yer_maj. Take it easy and use the phrase "I ran a marathon yesterday. If I want to sit down and drink coffee, I will!"

yer_maj wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Yes jolly well done you - 90 seconds faster than my Paris time image  I saw on the Amsterdam thread that you saw some suffering - I reckon the back end of a marathon is a brutal place to be, I certainly saw some suffering in Paris...

I'm definitely chuffed! :0) Although I did say to RS that I wish it would have been 4.55.55 purely for the nice numberimage

I think you see the 'real' marathon struggle towards the back. The people that are out there for 5-6 hours and where it everything truly hurts. For me, i'm humbled at seeing the 70 year olds out there still running and chatting away.

• Chapeaus off to all the Hamsterdamers!

You're right Emmy, the carnage at the end of the marathon is a sight to behold. As I crossed the line in Paris, I think I was about the only one running!

TD: I *think* I understand the theory, but I'm just not sure how to figure out how fast running at, say, lactate threshold feels (or ought to feel).
  • Kaz - hope you're okay. As I left the stadium, I saw someone doubled over, legs buckling, weaving from side to side towards the finish. Hope that wasn't you, although I'm guessing it wasn't - I've never seen anyone in as bad a shape as that before, and I'd be gobsmacked if they didn't end up in hospital on a drip. I was annoyed as none of the runners around her seemed to be remotely concerned about helping her, and even the three course marshals I was next to were watching her rather than going over to help.

It's one thing to aim for a PB, but I hope if I was ever in a position to help someone like that I'd do the right thing for the sake of adding five or ten minutes to my time.

Yer Maj - how's the cold doing?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Weedy - as I was staggering towards the finish line in Cardiff last week the girl about 10 metres in front of me just keeled over.  Tow marshals were with her in seconds and had her on her feet, carrying her to the line as a wheelchair was being brough to meet her.  I was very impressed.  Hwever, I can hand on heart say that had they not been there I would have stopped, sub 2 or no sub 2.  I've checked on plenty of people who've been looking a bit shonky in races and I hope that never stops....and that somebody would do it for me if it happened to me.

Cold is pretty grim, thanks for asking...

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    I think you see the 'real' marathon struggle towards the back. The people that are out there for 5-6 hours and where it everything truly hurts. For me, i'm humbled at seeing the 70 year olds out there still running and chatting away.

Emmy - well done on the pb! And I think you are absolutely right - the back end have the toughest time simply due to the amount of time they are out there (not ability). I reallythink that the perception of exertion to the 5-6 hour marathoner is not very different to the perception of exertion to the 3 hour runner - except that the 6 hour runner has to do it for twice as long.  As for being humbled - it was exactly my feeling as an 81 year old man finished 25 minutes ahead of me (he finished in 3:30) in Toronto!   But humbled with admiration.

Kaz - good idea to take some time off and get well. Making the kidz a priority is always good, but I venture to suggest that a big part of you being well for them and for yourself includes a running life that is balanced and enjoyable. I have no doubt that right now, the answer to  WWKD?  would be "rest, get well and appreciate the amazing things you have done and will still do"

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Dannirr - I had the pleasure of speaking to a lot of the 'older' generation yesterday and it was fantastic. I met one american lady who having lost her husband in afghanistan this year (he was murdered by friendly fire) has run 18 marathons this year and plans to run all 50 states next year to raise money for their charity. Then there was the 70 year old who had completed hundreds of marathons and was just enjoying the day - smiling and waving to the crowds.

I have never seen such comradery or ability to lift the spirit as yesterday.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Weedy & yer_maj - Based on the great results both of you have had with interval training improving your times what sort of intervals where you doing in training and how often do you do them?

This year after a bad start with my running in terms of pace and I went on a back to basics with my running with just going out and running and taking note of my average pace. I can't complain as my times did improve and I got my first ever sub 4 in a marathon in Paris last year, but I think I'll need to be far more structured this time around to see any improvement in my times.

I know speed is my weekness. There's very little between my 10km pace and my half pace. In fact I think my 10km time is probably the weakest of my PB's compared to my half and marathon times. I know from seeing some of the mile and km splits people post here that others certainly can run faster short splits than I'm currently able too, so I think I need to focus far more on my pace between now and resuming marathon training in December.

• Eggy - on an ideal week, I do four runs - one long run, one hour-long tempo run and two interval sessions.

I've got about ten sessions I pick and choose from, but one of the two will be short bursts - eg 1 min fast, 1 min recovery x10, while the second will be longer bursts - eg 8 mins fast, one min slow x3.

All of them start with a 10-min slow warm-up run and finish with a 10-min slow cool down run, and they vary in total between 40 mins and 70 mins.

Some of the sessions feel easier than others, but I guess that's down to personal preference. I really like the 1 min fast, 1 min slow x10 session as you can go full-tilt and know that it's only a few seconds before you can ease off. There's a killer session that's 10 mins at threshold pace, then five lots of 1km at 10k pace and 90 secs recovery, then 10 mins at threshold pace. I absolutely hate that one.

It took me a good couple of months to get the hang of pacing each interval right, going quick, but not too quick that you're crawling along in the final interval. If I feel a niggle in my calves, I don't do them as the risk of pulling a muscle's higher.

If you or anyone else wants the full list of ones I use, just message me your email address and I'll jot them down and send them to you.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My speed has massively picked up this summer.  I did two speed session a week - on a Monday I did intervals which varied each week - not the speed but the distance.  Some weeks I did pyramids eg 400 600 800 1 km and back down again, each with 400m recovery, some weeks they were longer, up to 1.6km.  It depended on what His Lordship required of meimage

Interval pace was 4:45 to 5:00/km - at the start I could barely hold 5:00 and on the longer ones I was closer to 5:10 at the start.  By the end of the programme I was hitting 4:45 for all of them.  The speeds were faster than McMillan would have had me running, I just did as I was told...

On a Wednesday I did a tempo run - 40 minutes with 15 mins either side W/U and C/D.  I started off at 5:40/km pace but by the end of the programme I was comfortably holding 5:25 to 5:30 for 45 minutes

Perversely, I really enjoyed them - painful though it was.  I got my time in Cardiff and ahted almost every minute of that race.  It was Glasgow which caught me by surprise - it was the first real measure of improvement over a sustained period and it was so much better than I expcted that it made it all worthwhile.  I do wonder how Cardiff would have gone without the injury though....

In short - get out there and start coughing up your lungs image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

And another thing!  Have a look at my Cardiff data on Strava:

http://app.strava.com/runs/24979479

Even though I felt like I was slowing down and every fibre of my being wanted to lie down at the side of the road, my splits are pretty even...that's the speedwork I reckon because Glasgow looked the same.

Weedy - took me bloody ages to sort out my interval pacing too!

• Entered last week image, preston marathon on sunday and winter after that image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, very interesting. I really need to get on board with some of that if I'm to get near my target Paris time.

For Paris this year it all just seemed to click. Despite the fact all runs bar my weekly LSR where done at a push if you can pace it was very noticeable that my times started to quicken in the weeks leading up to the race. Pretty much every week at in the seven or eight weeks leading up to Paris this year my average time for any distance was dropping and that really showed up on race day when I ran a time I never thought I was capable of. In fact at the finish I think I was in shock as much as elation for the first few moments after crossing the line.

I'll need to figure out how to configure the old Garmin for intervals.

• Kaz, you might know someone interested in this:

Casting call for Caithness film - Budding actors in Caithness could get a part in the film.

Big Box Network is looking for acting talent to star in its new movie The Game which is due to start filming in Caithness at the end of the year. Casting calls will be held on Saturday, October 27 in the Norseman Hotel on Riverside, Wick between 9.30am and noon, and in the Environmental Research Institute in Castle Street, Thurso between 1pm and 4pm.

For more information visit the Big Box Network website. ...which, for the hard of hearing, can be found via this handy dandy linkette : :: bigbox :: producing, making and promoting films

• Omnishambles at Schiphol. Fog here and in London - currently looking at a three hour delay. No announcements, no BA staff around. Airport staff kindly offering food vouchers if you're prepared to join a queue of around (genuinely) about 300 people. Sigh.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - Sounds like time for an emergency coffee and stroopwafel.