Leigh on Sea Striders

Hi All,

I have recently got myself into running and I am entering all sorts of races along the way - just did my first 5K, booked the Spartan Sprint (eek), Southend on Sea 10K and I am loving it.

When I was at the 5k race seeing lots of running clubs there, I thought that looks like fun, and duly found my nearest club to be Leigh on Sea Striders. 

I emailed them, twice - no answer, even stalked ther group on Facebook and asked about the process in joining them via a couple of their admins on Facebook - but not one response.  So two questions

1) Has anyone got a contact for LOSS that I could approach?

2) Does anyone know if there are any other running clubs in Leigh I could get in touch with?

Or am I doing this wrong?!?

Comments

• Hi Scott!

I have also tried to email Leigh Striders but no luck! If you are still looking for a local club we have recntly developed Rochford Running Club which is currently a small very friendly group who meet Thursday evenings and some other evenings depending on demand. Send me your details and I will happily forward the information to you. We have a number of beginner/intermediate runners and personal trainers who are able to take you to rndurance level should you wish.

Debbie Mowle

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifeb.mowle@virgin.net]Deb.mowle@virgin.net

• Hi Debbie,

Just picked this thread up - I will send over my contact info for sure.  My only concern would be that I live in Leigh - and Rochford I assume train in Rochford - but lets see first before writing the idea off.  Someone suggested Castle Point too.

I have given up with LOSS.  I even found a phone number for the Chairman there and left a voicemail - still never got a reply.  Just plain rude if you ask my opinion and a club perhaps I would rather not be involved with if thats how they treat interested newcomers. image 

Moving on - I will send over my details.

• where abouts in leigh are you scott. im regularly running from chalkwell station along the seafront

• I run from around Thames Drive to the Broadway and back in a kind of loop - along the seafront.

Longer runs from around Thames Drive to the seafront passing Chalwell station - to the Pier and back.  Do you use Runkeeper by any chance?

• hi debbie

is rochford runnung group still going? am interested in joining

• hi tracy3003

Rochford is certainly still going, are you on facebook tracy???

if not email me at jonb@rg3fitness.com as i am one of the coaches there and can certainly make sure you get hold of the correct people.

I think i may of spoken to you earlier on FB?? if not please get in touch and we can sort something out

Regards

Jon

• lol yes all sorted thanks jon....i promise im not stalking you!

• Scott,

Why don't you check out Castle Point Joggers ?

The freindliest little club in Essex. We meet every Tuesday evening at the old fire station in Hadleigh.

www.castlepointjoggers.co.uk

We always get back to you as soon as possible and encourage beginners with our Run England group every Thursday evening

• Thanks for the replies all.

I wanted to post as I did get a reply in the end from the LOSS Chairman who apologised for the lack of repsonses etc. 

Whilst I have not signed up, I do think once someone has made the effort to apologise it's fair to to accept it and put the matter down as closed.

Thanks again for the replies.

• There is another called Benfleet running club - meet on Tuesday/Thursday....I am looking for a club in Rayleigh - not had any luck so far though!

• jungle jane,  fungi fitness at lubbards did have a running group on a tuesday 7-8, i was going till i got injured, not sure if thats any help?

• Ahhh that's just opposite Lords and not too far - thanks Tracy!

• no worries! you had better just check its still going thou, i havent been for a few weeks...about to try rochford running club now im recovered! good luck and maybe see you out running xx

• Apologies on behalf of LOSS for the communication issues, we try our best to reply to all emails but as you can imagine over 10 years our email address get's known to many sites sending spam so our filters mean some legitimate emails get lost in the system through no fault of our own.

We do have 250 very happy members with the majoity continuing membership with us in excess of 5 years, so we must be doing something right!

Scott, if you'd like to email the club again i will make sure i look out for your name so it doesn't go into spam emails and reply straight away

Finally can i request that if this forum is closed can you remove it form the runners world site. We've had several comments from our members about it recently as apparently this blog appears very high in Google search for the club, and in our opinion is a bit of an unfair reflection on us. As said above we try our best and welcome new members all year round, but sometimes things out of our control happen which cause issues.

Thanks in anticipation.

• WoW - old thread just emailed me image

It is all good - since I first made this post I have met many of the LOSS guys and found them to be very friendly, helpful and some are very fast too image 

I have spoken to the Chairman on a few occaisions and as pointed out in an earlier thread - it was just poor timing with people being busy etc - so no issue fromn me at all towards LOSS - in fact if anyhing I would recommend them, since meeting their members.

I can say they have been an exceptional club for anyone to be a part of - so for sure this thread can be closed, and marked as "all is well."

• Just emailed LOSS hopefully they will reply this time, if not would you mind sending me the chairmans phone number? 

• LoSS are always keen to welcome new members anyone interested please just drop me an email at mark.dobson@wilsonjames.co.uk. Fees are 35 for a new member which includes a club vest/tshirt, England Athletics affiliation, and all road and track sessions. As well as a great events calendar. Mark (LoSS Chairman)
  • Hi Mark,

I'd like to join LoSS. I am a member of Pitsea running club who are  fanastic crowd but rather far away as I live in Westcliff !

• Very welcome Bosco, i have sent you an email with all the details.

Mark

• I would be very interested in joining Loss. Could you please send me the details.

Rebekah

• Drop me an email and i will send you all the details including how you join, what it costs etc. I will also give you a full events calendar to fill your diaries. My email is mark.dobson@wilsonjames.co.uk. Any questions at all please just shout. I promise all new members are made very welcome.

Mark