Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

Darth, its loooking more likely that i'm gonna be there (hooray - lucky you guys) - the breadknife is 50/50 just trying to secure a babysitter - let you know on Wednesday.

That's really great news, especially under the personal family circumstances...  image

• RR..   what a bummer...   but..  it is foggy here and has been all day...  hope it gets sorted soon...  Eurostar sounds like a good idea..

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

A View of what?  Crazy Stan?  (who now tells me he might only arrive on Friday - so you might have to settle for me....). He will, whenever he arrives, be in the car for the Great Race. 

By way of full discolsure - Stan is my longest friend - we were expelled from school together at aged 13 and that was just the start of our misadventures. 

Can you let Crazy Stan know that I'm really expecting a little more effort than "ma only arrive on Friday..."  It's not good enough.  Clearly there are stories to be told...

• He did very well chownsie...a 3:32 for his debut. I am already goading/bullying/encouraging him to do Paris next year.

Cyber stalked your time so chapeau sirimage
  • ATM wrote (see)

Bonjour..image  I'm in the Theatre des Marionettes..I've always fancied seeing a puppet show in French.I might last minutes..

I think the cheapest accommodation option is a room in someone's house...it might not suit everyone and I think you'd have to be very clear about the reason for your stay. ..I've found Bedycasa great .

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I'm still here image .

Flight now cancelled, BA can't rebook me to anywhere in the UK till lunchtime tomorrow, and they can't even guarantee that because there's more fog forecast. Putting my hopes on an Easyjet flight at 2150. 

I spent about 3 hours at Schipol this afternoon - just because I was early.  Fantastic airport but would have been good to have had a coffee.

• I have no idea why ATM is qouted in there, nor can I delete it.  She's persistent is that lass.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

So the idea is consistently fast and hard. Cue Leeds Rob. image

l agree.  Its ideal to supplement some long slow sessions with a bit of fast and hard action.  Although excessive stiffness may result.

• RR - hope you get back soon.

Rob - did you do the half in the end? Injury free?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Chownsie - Well done on the PB, but I'm in no way buying into the RS being awfully quiet story!

Kaz - Great to hear you and the girls had a good day today.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

My test run didn't go well. Groin pain is still there. Time to call the GP, who no doubt will just tell me to rest.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

No, your GP will succeed where we have failed.  You'll have to show 'em your groin...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

The GP will earn their money that day all right, poor git.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

And another person who has miraculously completed a race distance with virtually no training at all.

I don't have any sympathy with that sort of conduct.  Reckless and risking injury.  Nobody should attempt to run a half marathon unless they have ran a total of at least 9 miles over the course of the previous 13 weeks. 

Excellent weekend in Amsterdam.  Highlights include the gay fetish underwear shop, KO's for her company, guidance and stroopwafels, visiting the red light district with Chownsie, some excellent running performances in terms of time in some cases and facing up to adversity in others, Emmy's Belgian chocolates, Radar Sal's hospitality, belching and desire for massage, RR's excellent taste in wrist wear, and seeing SR eat pasta rather than have his usual roast swan.

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

RR - hope you get back soon.

Rob - did you do the half in the end? Injury free?

Absolutely not Weedy.  yer_maj forbade it. image image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You've been a naughty boy again, haven't you Robert?

• If I say 'yes' do I get a spanking?

• Dave and Steven...welcome to the thread!

• On reflection I should probably have gone for the Eurostar when the first flight was cancelled, but heigh ho, I've made it back to this side of the Channel. Easyjet were so much better than BA, who basically abandoned us, then told us a pile of nonsense. OK, we were still late, but at least they told us what was happening. On the train now. Thanks Emmy and TD for your kind offers - the reverse applies if you're ever stuck in London.

And the reason I'm in such a rush to get back is because I have to give a presentation tomorrow (today) to 30 people about European integration. The irony of this is not lost on me.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DV - great - that place is not too far from my hotel!  (Lancaster London on Bayswater).  Thanks!

• yeah, DLR has been a very naughty injured boy.  I gave him many stern looks on saturday and said that no sympathy would be going his way if it all went pete tong BUT he was a little bit good and cruised around putting no pressure on himself for time etc.  Still bloody mad and his medal is only half the size of my SUB 4 HOUR one image  Emmy has a great photo of the different sized medals.

RR - great to hear you made it back!!  Good luck with the super ironic presentation (I'm sure you can get in an example of how at the amsterdam marathon where you ran sub 4 hrs there were lots of europeans...).  hope BA is giving you compensation!! or are they using the "it wasn't out fault" excuse?

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

Still bloody mad and his medal is only half the size of my SUB 4 HOUR one image  Emmy has a great photo of the different sized medals.

Like I said on Sunday, it's not the size that matters, it's where you put it.

I can hang mine round my neck.

• Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - great - that place is not too far from my hotel!  (Lancaster London on Bayswater).  Thanks!

That's funny...   only a tourist would describe Bayswater as being close to Covent Garden!   image  Either jump in a black cab and shout "Seven Dials my good fellow" in a Dick Van Dyke accent, or get on the tube.  Aim for either Leicester Square (central line to Tottenham Court Road and then down one) or Covent Garden.  Its just a short walk from both those stations.   Its also only a short walk from the pub to the restaurant on Greek Street.  I've been to this pub and the restaurant several times and they will be good venues for us.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Morning, all..I'm still feeling inspired by all those sub-4..and sad that I don't have a photo of the prize T-shirt on this Netbook.image (I'll be posting them out when I get home...)I've been out running, early in the morning, and thinking of all the Amsterdamers.

Persistent, yes, DLR. And I have to say that the puppet show was absolutely fantastic..I was afraid it would be utterly creepy in that old Pinky 'n'Perky /Chucky way......It was hilarious and I recommend the tiny theatre in the Luxembourg Gardens ,with children in tow or without.

Seriously hot, here...about 23 degrees. I have only my Scotland-end-of-October- gear and look like Greek widow...

Culture Alert. You have to see this

..if not for the current exhibition or the permanent collection then for the swankiest tearoom in Europe..

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

RR - Well done for having arrived safely back!

DLR - This is the different sizing. I've had a few FB Messages about my 'preoccupation with size'

/members/images/334358/Gallery/sizes.jpg
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

If I say 'yes' do I get a spanking?

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Dave and Steven...welcome to the thread!

I love how close these two posts come together: Spanking newbies, already DLR?

It was lovely to see so many of you this weekend and thank you to RS for her hospitality.... and not for laughing at me when i crawled up the stairs!

@DV - I'm sorry but I won't be able to come image I was hoping to swing a client visit to London but they've cancelled it. Hope you all have a great time!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - Glad to hear you made it home.

• Dirty Leeds Rob

'I don't have any sympathy with that sort of conduct.  Reckless and risking injury.  Nobody should attempt to run a half marathon unless they have ran a total of at least 9 miles over the course of the previous 13 weeks. '

Quite agree DLR, we can see the risks from the weekend with some poor chap passing away at the finish of the Great Bham Run.

I am not saying for one moment that it is related to not having trained properly. The risks are there for everyone whether you have prepared right or not. One would have thought you certainly reduce the risks though.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

Dirty Leeds Rob

'I don't have any sympathy with that sort of conduct.  Reckless and risking injury.  Nobody should attempt to run a half marathon unless they have ran a total of at least 9 miles over the course of the previous 13 weeks. '

Quite agree DLR, we can see the risks from the weekend with some poor chap passing away at the finish of the Great Bham Run.

I am not saying for one moment that it is related to not having trained properly. The risks are there for everyone whether you have prepared right or not. One would have thought you certainly reduce the risks though.

I agree but most people I know don't follow the training plan or think "I can just wing it". There are times when you have to say to yourself: how much is this really worth?

There were a few posts yesterday on FB about the poor chap at Brum. The initial feedback was they believe he had an undiagnosed heart condition but they're waiting for the Post Mortem.

• Good to hear you made it back rr and dlr.

We have respect for the law in Harrogate dlr so swan is not on the menuimage

Besides back up to Edinburgh for the week so haggis and tatties washed down with irn bru. Will wave to Alec & Nicola whilst running round Holyrood in my gb top.

My plans for Paris accommodation are having to be revised as it looks like I can't use the hotel loyalty points I have for the days in question....disappointing.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

That's funny...   only a tourist would describe Bayswater as being close to Covent Garden!   image  Either jump in a black cab and shout "Seven Dials my good fellow" in a Dick Van Dyke accent, or get on the tube.  Aim for either Leicester Square (central line to Tottenham Court Road and then down one) or Covent Garden.

I wouldn't recommend Covent Garden tube - close, yes, but they have lifts, not escalators and it's grim when it's busy.

I shall be staying in Crystal Palace..miles away....image

DLR - I have noted this disobedience.  It is in the Book of Remembrance.