Lance folds on drug charges

Comments

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Lance was the best at biking, he was the best at cheating. best at bribing, now hes the best at denial

still the best thenimage

• image It gets worse by the day

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

sport needs a boston whitesox momment.

catch em all, ban em all, ban everyone who knew, ban those who didnt but knew and didnt say.

zero tolerance. no return to the sport. period. all drugs cheats need to know once is forever.

• OMG - it's absolutely terrible. I agree - zero tolerance. What really really makes me angry is that I (and I'm sure thousands of others) would have loved to have the ability to be able to compete on a world stage and these guys who did have the talent have kicked our teeth in.

• You still get the impression that there's 'more to come', don't you?!!  The management of UCI have to go.  Or disband the set up completely and start again with people who aren't 'tainted' by all this.

What a can of worms!  

• I have the feeling that the snowball has only just started rolling on this one.

Second Cycling Australia official has fallen on his sword http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cycling-australia-vice-president-hodge-steps-down-admits-doping

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Got around to reading Tyler Hamilton's book over the last couple of days.  Gulp.

• SgtLard wrote (see)

catch em all, ban em all, ban everyone who knew, ban those who didnt but knew and didnt say.

Or just let them all carry on, with the public fully aware that performances and results are drug-fuelled. Might make cycling the most honest sport out there!

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    SgtLard wrote (see)

Or just let them all carry on, with the public fully aware that performances and results are drug-fuelled. Might make cycling the most honest sport out there!

but then every young talented rider would have to join in the doping to try and compete..........wouldn't want thatimage

• Exactly Seren image so as i am the forgiving type who beleives everyone has the abilty to cock up one

First offence serious fine and two years ban

Second offence life ban
  • UCI to give verdict on USADA report on Monday - 9 days before they needed to!!  interesting in itself

http://bit.ly/UeSnET

• With no sponsors to pay for it, no top-end athletes to participate in it, no experienced administrators to organise it and no meaningful international administrative body to ratify it..... cyclings going to need a fair old spell in the amateur wilderness. I hope Wiggo and the boys haven't already spent their winnings.

• Shitstorm just about covers it?

I mean the suspicions and whispers were always there but I daresay no one expected it to be so, well, big?

• fat buddha wrote (see)

UCI to give verdict on USADA report on Monday - 9 days before they needed to!!  interesting in itself

http://bit.ly/UeSnET

that is interesting. Are the rats calculating that if they accept USADA and "promise to clean up the sport" they might not have to leave the sinking ship?

Will the McQuaid statement be along the lines of: "... and I would have gotten away with it too,  if it wasnt for you meddling USADA kids" ? Possibly not.

• Oh, FFS, where to even start?!

So, it wasnt on your watch, Pat, but then on the other hand, your predessessor did nothing wrong? Sorry, who was chair of the UCI Road commission during that time? Oh, that was you? Flipflop back to the ridiculously long list of riders popped since 2006, that WERE on your watch - in all that about-facing, did you think we'd forget who was in charge? You say its all the older generation, but THIS YEAR, the riders caught were aged 25, 26, 27 and 34. In addition a lot of those older generation are now running teams, so still thoroughly involved in cycling. You say it wouldnt happen today? Just as you said in 96? And 2006?

Considering you had another 9 days before you had to respond to this, Pat, why didnt you get all your ducks in a row first? Why are you having a meeting on Friday to decide what will happen to results, or financial gain?

You say you're sorry you couldnt catch "every damn and throw them out of the sport at the timeat the time". How does that fit with "I dont know what 's trying to achieve because he cannot achieve anything by saying this". Is that why your only interest when Landis admitted doping was to seek financial reparations? Is that also why you've attacked antidoping scientists who are publicly criticising you (Ashendon, Cycling Australia)? Is that why you said USADA had no juristiction?

Pat, the level of my disgust with you and your seemingly limitless, self-serving incompetance, knows no bounds. The staggering inability to face up to your own responsibility leaves me reeling in the wake of your useless, bungling ineptitude.

Please, for the love of a rotating pedal, Pat, do the decent thing and leave. Cycling does not need Lance, and it does not need you. Before more sponsers are forced to withdraw their actual support, get your nauseatingly narcissistic arse out of the way of progress, change and accountability and stop fucking it up for those of us who love it.

Oh, and drop the Kimmage case, you persecuting little worm.

• That third paragraph should read:

You say you're sorry you couldnt catch "every damn one of them and throw them out of the sport at the timeat the time". How does that fit with "I dont know what Andreu's trying to achieve because he cannot achieve anything by saying this". Is that why your only interest when Landis admitted doping was to seek financial reparations? Is that also why you've attacked antidoping scientists who are publicly criticising you (Ashendon, Cycling Australia)? Is that why you said USADA had no juristiction?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Don't f about, tell him straight!

🙂

• While I'm on a roll, Pat, how fucken dare you lecture riders on their failures to apologise and their profiteering from a culture that you perpetuated, when you yourself have not only turned a blind eye, but been complicit in the perpetuation of doping but you yourself have not apologised to riders whose careers were destroyed, and instead continue to persecute those who refused to fall into line and be silenced?

Accepting the money from Lance is absolutely a resignation issue, Pat, and one which should result in you slinking off with your obsequious tail between your legs. "What's done is done", you say, with relation to accepting $125,000 from - at the time - a suspected, and now proven, drug cheat? You wash your hands in retrospect? On your corrupt watch, the culture of doping in cycling has got worse and the time is long overdue for you to accept your poisonous, wilful ineptitude is a large, large part of the problem.

• it was like watching a parody. Honestly, it was truly unbelievable. Why the F didn't they have the management meeting before the damn press conference? That guy needs to GO .. but he is a sticky cling-on that just won't detach. Honestly - it was really pathetic. You couldn't try to be so pathetic if you were the most pathetic person in all of Patheticdom.

The most cringeworthy bit was when he was defending taking money from people under suspicion of doping with the brilliant statement that UCI is not FIFA. Unbelievable.

• Well, I've written to Brian Cookson, the UK's representative on the UCI panel, who (I hope!) will be at the meeting on Friday, and asked him to table a motion of No Confidence and request that McQuaid resigns. You can email info@britishcycling.org.uk and put FAO Brian Cookson in the title.

• Head of WADA has some interesting things to say, but rather disheartening comments from Oceania's UCI committee member at the end of the article

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8540566/wada-chief-john-fahey-says-uci-take-blinkers-off

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Five-time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain believes Lance Armstrong is innocent of the doping scandal that has seen the US rider stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.

Indurain, who won the Tour five consecutive years between 1991 and 1995, is now once more the joint-record holder for most wins after Armstrong's punishment.

He says: "Even now I believe in his innocence. He has always respected all the regulations. He has won all the cases he's had.

"What surprises me is that he doesn't keep fighting. I think he will come back and appeal and try to show that he played fair for all those years."

WTF!!

• Mmm to many drugs ovet the years has affected Miguels mind image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Sounds to me like his brain beats even slower than his heart.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

All due respect to Bradley Wiggins hero but Indurain's as thick as the pig shit he shoves about with his tractor. Already drinking, again.

🙂

• mcquaid should go and maybe most of the UCI , then we can get all the big sponsers to follow Rabobank, get some new sponsers in on realistic wages to encourage those who want to race to come on up and those who want to be rich can go and play football. Plus new conditions of strict testing , lifetime bans for anyone caught , make it a sport for the athletes and the fans!

Look where money has taken football with the players too rich to be controlled

• Yeah genius and once we've got all the riders to sign up to lower wages and the vast majority of the public who don't even know who McQuaid* is excited about slower racing with less razzmatazz due to less money we'll get all the turkeys lined up and ask them to put an X in the box marked Christmas.

I'm not saying for one moment we don't need change but we are where we are and starting over isn't really an option.

As you were. 

* my poll today scored a big fat(Pat) zero on people realising the guy they saw 'taking Lance's wins away' was as much a part of the problem as Lance himself.  Crikey Samaranch, Blatter, whoever helped cover up Agassi's drug positive etc.  Having a complete tw@t at the top isn't the preserve of cycling.  People know Blatter and Samaranch are @rseholes and they didn't exactly get thrown out overnight.

• point taken. I like to think big, the small changes will keep us where we have always been, perhaps with LA out, and Rabobank out and the UCI being questioned closely maybe that will do for a start!

I follow the NFL closely and this year the first 4 games of the seaon (of 16 games )were presided over by replacement referee crews when the professional refs went on strike! It was a BIG deal and made everyone look at the way things were run. Not a bad thing to have a big change or at least suggest one and see what you actually value. They begged the referees to come back.

On a similar note the NHL missed an entire season a few years ago when the owners and the players couldn't agree on money. Imagine a year without a tour, it would be a shame but would put things in perspective for the 2014 tour !