Birmingham Great Run 2012

Comments

• The hill wasn't that bad actually, though it was a cold race. The start of the Orange Wave was hopelessly overcrowded this year - too many 1hr 45 runners going at the front, blocking the road for the sub-1hr 30 runners.

• I took 650 or so photo's at the 5 mile mark in Bournville.  First 64 photo's are now on www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk    They are FREE to download on Flickr

• Great running out there, folks. Hit my target time of 1:45 and beat my half marathon PB by 21 minutes and my course PB by a whopping 35 minutes!

Sad to hear somebody passed away at the run today. Thoughts are with their loved ones.
  • Hi all. A Great day !! Myself and my husband both set PB's so well happy. Well organised BUPA !!!  But more importantly, our thoughts are with the family and friends of the runner who sadly lost their life today.

• I ran 1:42 today. I thought the race was fantastic and a real credit to all the runners and the community of Birmingham. Congratulations to everyone who took part.

• Whoot! I made it on the TV....... was only on for about 2 seconds..... but it's the most fame I've ever had.

• Just posted a review of today's run on my blog. Appreciate any comments you have... http://itsallmyownwork.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/great-run-birmingham-a-review/

• Well that was my first hm, I only got to 8 miles in training 6 weeks before the event and then got an injury which stopped me running before hand. I managed 2hrs 35mins which im not delighted with but at mile 9 my hip felt like it locked up on the side and I just had a really sharp paint, then my hamstring tighened on my left leg and my right achilles hurt too!! I felt so bad towards the end but still glad I did it

Would you say it was just not having those extra miles in my legs that caused the problems or something else?

• Hi all, a new PB for me too...2:36 I am really pleased.  Thats another 5 mins off!  Really enjoyed the course but did think the hills at 10-11.5 were tough and gutted my forerunner decided to crash at 10.5 miles so I can't see how I did for the last couple.  Have done something to my knee though, hurt the whole way around and now painful to walk, down stairs are a nightmare!!

Really sad to here someone passed away, my thoughts are with their family and friends.

I will be back to do this one again, loved how relaxed it was at the beginning and managed to get to the car and out of Brum quite quick after the finish.

Hope everyone is ok 

• Fool Runnings wrote (see)

Just posted a review of today's run on my blog. Appreciate any comments you have... http://itsallmyownwork.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/great-run-birmingham-a-review/

Good review FR, captured the essence of the day so well. Have to say depsite this being my first official race & not having a benchmark to compare to, the people & atmosphere was well above my expectations. Was great to see so many spectators out cheering us all along...spent a good little while giving out hi 5s to the kids enjoying the day out along the roadside image

Didn't have an official PB to compete against but had an idea of what sort of time i was expecting to run it in but managed to blitz it with a 1:40:41 run, which off of a 7  week training plan, I'm absolutely delighted with.

Will definitely be signing up again next year as its my home run (although in time if numbers continue to grow I believe they may have to alter the route slightly/stagger starts to a greater extent) but am also planning to run the Manchester & Dublin 10ks next spring.

Sad news to hear of the death, obviously no more news on it at the moment, but huge condolences to those family & friends affected!!

• I ran it too - my first half (first event actually) and did it in 2.34 which included 2 stops (one for loo and one to hug my mom!) which was around what I was expecting I suppose, as have been training for distance not speed. I feel I have now officially got the bug and desprate to enter my next event. How soon is too soon?? What next?? You newbies out there like me - what are your plans next?

Well done to everyone who completed and yes my thoughts also with the person who lost their life and their loved ones X

• Hi KevinR1, thanks for kind comments. You should be really pleased with your time - it's awesome. Think Birmingham is the one or all half marathons to watch. Really well done everyone. Really sad to hear about the tragedy at the end.
  • I'm tempted to enter again for next year, but I've applied for a Royal Parks half marathon ballot place. Saying that, I was so impressed with the organisation from yesterday, a far cry from my race in 2010 where I had to queue to cross the finish line!

• This was my third HM - got PB but just missed my target time (1:40). First big race I have done (with thousands of runners rather than hundreds) and thought organisation was very good - I expected a massive blockage at the beginning but that didn't happen. Only one gripe - would have liked markers at every mile as I am not in possession of a posh running watch!

Also - re this site - why is this race not listed for reviews etc.? Try typing Great Birmingham Run into the events search and you get nothing. It would be good to see how people rate this one.

Finally it is so sad to hear about a fellow runner who passed away at this event and my thoughts are with his family.

• Erm, there were markers at every mile.

And another at 10km where there was a split timing Matt.
  • OK - oops! thanks - Maybe I was too focussed! image

• really enjoyed this run yesterday, and I got a PB, for a HM, so really chuffed especially as this was my first HM last year when i started running lmk87 i was in your shoes and since then have gone on to do another 6 HM's and 2 marathons ( I think i've got the bug!! ) if you want another HM lmk87 try silverstone in March ( I dont know much whats about now with the winter approaching ) It doesnt appeal to everyone as its round silverstone and goes 3 times around the race track but its not the same track, you double back on yourself and its a good atmosphere lots of fancy dress as you get alot of ppl who are running the london marathon doing it a a training run

that final hill was still as bad as i remember it lol, thought the support around was better this year than last year, the amount of bands on route were far greater than last year

it was also a perfect running day too, I took loads of pics on route 92 in total lol took lots along the Pershore Road where we were doubling past each other. I started off in Green Wave along with some sort of purple monster!!! I also saw the bob sleigh team from Wolverhampton and got my pic taken with them, anyone seen them

there were loads of people running for Bham Childrens hosp which i'm pleased about as my daughter goes there so nice to see it benefiting

Did anyone watch the channel 5 coverage, i taped it and thought it was really pants I thought that it would show the different starts and also the camera men at some stages were filming the road and the trees!!! It was nice to relive the course again with my friends tho I suppose showing the elite runners and I pointed out where i ended up running by the flats for a  toilet call in the first 2miles as I just couldnt hold it for the first loos!!!

so sorry for the runner ( one of our club members who said he finished about 12.20 said a bloke collapsed in front of him as he went over the finish line so I presume that is the person in question, terribly sad for him and his family and friends )

• Oh that's annoying I just wrote a huge message and it hasnt posted.

The jist of it was,well done for your PC I

• Oh that's annoying I just wrote a huge message and it hasnt posted.

The jist of it was,well done for your PB I

• It was my first ever half and I'm really chuffed with my time of 1:52:24. Already thinking about doing it again next year to see how much I could beat it by if I train properly.

Just posted a review of today's run on my blog. Appreciate any comments you have... http://itsallmyownwork.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/great-run-birmingham-a-review/

KevinR1 wrote (see)
    Fool Runnings wrote (see)

A really good and fair review I loved this race itexceeded my expectations the atmosphere is better than the GNR and I thought the crowds were better too

Brilliant write up, thought it summed up the whole race very well

Fool Runnings wrote (see)

lmk87 wrote (see)

Oh that's annoying I just wrote a huge message and it hasnt posted.

The jist of it was,well done for your PB I

hee hee thanks lmk87 I got ur message as well internet bah!!!!

Did you see that the named the man who died at the end 36year old bloke, hope it wasnt anyone off here, such a tragedy feel so much for his family 

• It was a great day. Really enjoyed it.

I agree with a previous poster. I can't recall seeing a mile marker at 8 (i think) and 11.

• I can recall briefly mistaking the 10K marker for a 10 mile marker and thinking I was doing awesome lol.

• I took 92 photos all the way round ( the mad person that I am ) and I have a photo of the mile 10 marker ( which was at the end of the road where theshowers were just as we turned onto the Bristol road i think it was just beore we went under the underpass to negociate the first of the 3 hills, if you watch Channel 5 you may see it as you see the elite people go round the corner there

Mile 11 road marker which i have a pic of which was easy to miss but it was next to the water station on the very long hill ( where you had to count the lamposts off if you got bored!! ) on the left hand side not sure i know how to post a pic on here but if i could I would

Mile 8 was down the pershore road

mile 6 was outside a pub ( i remember that as i was cut short there the first year I did it and always look out for it now lol )

mile 5 was in Bourneville ( i'm working backwards now lol )

but all the mile markers were there, I think taking photos I tried to take photos of most of them, but not all of them 

• I was quite happy to miss the 11 mile marker. When I then saw the 12 mile marker there was a sense of relief.

11 mile marker was probably easy to miss, given the head was down trying get up the blasted hill.

• http://failed.gif

not sure if the pic will work as RW doesnt seem to like my pics but just tried to  upload the pic of mile 11

• http://failed.gif

still trying to upload this blessed picture but its not happening!! stupid thing image

• James B 73 wrote (see)

I was quite happy to miss the 11 mile marker. When I then saw the 12 mile marker there was a sense of relief.

11 mile marker was probably easy to miss, given the head was down trying get up the blasted hill.

I done the exact opposite to you, I saw mile 11 marker and was getting excited to think I was nearly at the end. It felt like the longest mile I've ever done, until I realised i'd missed mile 12 marker image Was such a relief to see that 800m to go sign after coming up from the underpass onto Broad St