Hebden Bridge hosts 52 Fell Races within 15 miles

Hebden Bridge is officially the home of the highest number of fell runs in the country.

Can you name them all?

Why not make a trip up to this amazing town set beautiful landscape and help it recover from the recent floods???

A good start would be www.heptonstallfestivalrace.org.uk  on Saturday 7th July

6 miles / 1500 feet of climbing - only £4 to enter on the day - fully flagged so ideal for beginners. Heptonstall Festival Fell Race is an community run under FRA rules. All funds go to local causes, and the event will be supporting local businesses effected by recent Hebden Bridge floods (providing street stalls)

Comments

• Aaargh - my Aunty lives in Heptonstall! It's truely beautiful there. If only I'd known sooner, I could have combined the run with a long overdue visit (I live in Poole, Dorset, so quite a trek). Next year though....

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

lovely area   use to travel on the buses that way when Yorkshire rider

• Wonder if RW might run a feature on the area it really is something of a mecca for off road runners of all abilty - might drive some trade back to the little shops

• Heponstall Festival Fell Race July 7th 2012

Local press report and photographs

http://www.hebdenbridgetimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/holly-wins-but-alex-s-race-takes-a-turn-for-the-worse-1-4731377

What do you think??? fancy joining us next year? Or why not support flood hit Hebden Bridge by visiting the town to do one of the other 52 local races (most will cost you less than £5 and entry is on the day)

Let me know if you are planning a tripi to Hebden Bridge and I will advise you on where to stay, eat, and drink - plus the best local races that week.

• Heptonstalll??? Just in case you never visited the ancient pennine village - gem of the South Pennines

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=heptonstall

• Many of the runs around Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, and Todmorden feature Stoodley Pike - see this great picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotohebden/6171481735/in/photostream/

• Another great weekend for local fell races -Race You To The Summit, and Withins Skyline. Next week its the Bronte Way, so many races and such little time! I'm training hard for Florence now so went over to Oldham for the Milltown to Hills Half Marathon.

Loads more races in the Hebden Bridge (15 mile radius) area to look forward to before Christmas....Bronte Way, Wadsworth Half Trog, Tour of Pendle, The Stoop, Shepherds Skyline....

• I ran 'Withins' on Sunday image 
    Or to be precise; paddled (through the boggy bits), squelched (through the peat), slithered (along the flagstones near 'Top Withens') & squeezed (along the gullies above Bronte Bridge)

Will also be running 'Harriers v Cyclists' (@ Bingley), the 'Stoop', 'Auld Lang Syne' (if I get entry)

• Got my form here for ALS. I was nt at Withins Skyline (I was only the tarmac of Oldham keeping my feet dry) but my mate picked on up for me. Perhaps we can toast the South Pennines race scene on Dec 31st at the Sun Inn - would be good to meet you Richard .

BTW - can you explain the format of Harriers v Cyclists? I'm intrigued....

• Oh & I might be able to get over for the (Tod Harriers) 'Shepards Skyline'

http://todharriers.co.uk/shepherds_skyline.htm

Stephen Grimley wrote (see)

.BTW - can you explain the format of Harriers v Cyclists? I'm intrigued....

http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/html/h_v_cyclists/hvc.htm

Saturday 10th November @ 14:00

'Fisherman Inn'

Waggon Lane

Bingley
    BD16 1TS
    O/S SE120385

Stephen, it's exactly that

Same course, just that sections  favour runners, some favour cyclists

Massed start - everyone together
    No guarantee that the runners will win, even in really manky conditions, as Rob Jebb will sometimes ride!!!!

Basically a 'balloon course'

Up the string, round the balloon, back down the string (clockwise)

Damned good fun!!!!!!

And, as someone said on the Bingley Harriers forums (& I quoted last year)

This has got to be the craziest race of the season.
    Unless I was seeing things I saw a guy dressed as Spiderman on a cross bike with a broken saddle........

Pregnant ladies taking numbers at the finish and a start view covered in grass........ Only when tilting the head backwards could you see the way to go it was that steep!

A bit less muddy than last year in the start and finish fields, if my memory serves me right.
    Nice to see so many supporters.

Nice to see that tree trunk as well....almost didn't!.....well placed marshall!!!!!
    I especially enjoyed the spectator cheers as you cleared rocks at the campsite road on the way back....just before nearly breaking a leg in the gully just beyond.
    Thanks to all the marshalls and the pub staff / landlord. 2 helpings of pie and peas and a pint reminded me why I'm not a good runner. Cracking event!

Unquote

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/files/racing_2010_fell_running_harriers_verses_cyclists_route_map_384.jpg

• Fantastic! Will check my diary...all my running is geared to Florence on 25th so hope I can slot it in. 

BTW I was reading an online article from a well known cycling magazine - Dales Etape May 2012 - one of their writers rode and reviewed thier day out - you got a mention! I hear you are a cyclist of some note? I am more of recent convert this year's Etape was my first also enjoyed CTC Audax's Season of Mists/Spring into the Dales plus the recent Mills Hills sprotive - must get some tips from you one day...

• Stephen Grimley wrote (see)

Fantastic! Will check my diary...all my running is geared to Florence on 25th so hope I can slot it in. 

BTW I was reading an online article from a well known cycling magazine - Dales Etape May 2012 - one of their writers rode and reviewed thier day out - you got a mention! I hear you are a cyclist of some note? ...

Ahhhimage
    'Cycling Weekly'
    Nope!!, it's not me!
    I do know the lad in question (& his parents & brother - who was also an ex-GB squad cross rider)
    Richard, Robert & Phil (dad) also fell-race at times

It used to cause problems at MTB races, as I rode the same bike as he was sponsored (by the factory) to ride; a Pace Research

When signing in, I got comments about "wrong catagory"/"change of club"/"looking old now" (& it carried on into my days of riding cyclo-cross)

In fact the last time I saw them all was at the ' H v C' last year!!!