1 stone off by Christmas!

Comments

• Thanks springle. Went to see the little man tonight and he seems a lot better image I haven't seen him since Sunday and his tail was wagging Shen he saw me. He has started eating so I feel better about the situation now. I think I will go for a run in the woods again tomorrow night !

Seren - just go for it, like springle says, it might make you run faster !

Rats - enjoy your few days off. Are you going anywhere nice and more importantly are you taking your running gear ?
  • Hi,

I was wondering if I could join you in this challenge? I was hoping to lose 10kg by Christmas - 1kg a week, but would be happy with significant progress towards this. I probably have 15-20kg to lose in total.

I've been injured for 2 months, so only just starting to run again, and the weight has crept up whilst I've been sitting still feeling sorry for myself.

I have signed up for a 10 mile in Dec and a half marathon in Feb, and am up to running 10k again now (slowly) so feel like I'm getting back on track. But a bit of support would really help.

thanks

Jane

• Hi guys,

Just read your thread and it's given me the motivation to kick start my weight loss again.  I was doing really well until I got injured.  I tore my calf muscle and then got achilles tendonitis.  Put me out of action for 4 months but I'm just slowly getting into running again.  3 slow runs down and I'm remembering why I love running so much.  I'm hoping that with the return of my regular runs I'll have a more positive approach to my eating.  It's funny that I feel much more conscious of what I'm eating when I'm running than when I'm injured.  You'd think I'd keep the diet in check even more when I'm injured.  I think the healthy feeling of running makes me want to fuel my body with healthy things rather than junk. 

Anyway, hope I can pop in and out of this discussion for some online moral support.  I'd love to lose 7 pounds by Christmas.

Planning a slow 4 miles this evening......

• Welcome Jane and Jules. 

Springle - the little man is back home today. You would hardly know he has had major surgery. It wouldnt appear that he has learnt his lesson either as he is already scavaging around the house ! He has however provided me with a hefty vets bill of £1600 image Thank goodness for insurance.

Well, I have just got back from doing a 13.5 miler. I felt good so just kept going. I took my head torch so went offroading for about 5 miles. It was a bit easy tonight as I didnt feel like I was being followed ! One more run for me on Saturday and then I am off to New York for a few days but am not taking my trotters. The clothes are a bit baggier today so it feels like things are going in the right direction.

Rats - enjoy your weekend away and have a few drinks for me image

Keep it going everyone, it's all been good so far

• Thanks for the welcome.

Jules, everything you are saying sounds so familiar. I'm hoping being able to run again makes me want to be more healthy in general too.

Have fun in NY carterusm.

• Hi Jane and Jules! I am delighted to see more people joining us on our challenge, it is always so motivating to hear others doing well and getting closer to our goal together. Best of luck with it, keep letting us know how you are doing!

Carterusm, I am really pleased to hear your wee man is back on his little feet and making a good recovery, that is really great news. Not so great about the huge bill, but sure they are worth it!

I may have overdone things again, which is very annoying. I am trying to hover around the 5 mile mark for a while, even though I feel I could go further, because I want to avoid the creaky knees I managed to pick up when I was making my running "comeback." Maybe I picked up the pace instead, always trying to push too hard, and now my knees are unbendable again. Grrrr. Will take a few days rest and then start again with a shorter run on Monday.

I am determined to have a better weekend this time around, weigh in on Monday so fingers crossed we can all do it!

Rats - I hope you enjoy your weekend away!

• Good luck Springle. I had a similar on and off injury to my calves for a couple of months. In the end I took 6 weeks off fully and let them heal. Very frustrating, but I think it was worth it.

I'm building back gradually - managed 9k last weekend and 7 x 1km intervals on Monday. But today's easy 6k felt strangely tough.

My physio advised comeback runs to be just 20 minutes for the first few weeks, adding 10 mins a week, and not to do anything fast until they were fully better. I haven't completely followed this, but taking it slowly does seem to help.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Evening folks. Have read through all your comments and now wish to jump aboard! I've been losing the odd few lbs over the last few months with no real structure or motivation, despite me really needing to she's a stone to really start seeing my effort in ultras seem worthwhile. I hope that reporting back will enlighten me to achieve this finally! I may well need a hit with a big stock.now and then too if I start to wander!

For the record, age 33 and 13st bang on.

Here goes!
  • Hello All image

Coming to this quite late but I'd like to join in the weight loss fun.

I used to be a reasonable runner, but had a few lazy years and subsequently put on a bit of podge,  Last year I made a comeback for a last go at the Ironman thing and got into really good shape, but post the Outlaw I've let myself go.

According to my scales I'm 13st 1lb - 18% body fat, but that is not a true weight as I've just spent the last couple of days in bed recovering from a touch of food poisoningimage, so I'm dehydrated and empty.

Anyway I think this non-voluntary detox is a good starting point to get things back on track.

I haven't got a real plan at the moment. First I must rehydrate and refuel and then I can start again.

• Welcome Mr f and Marshallini, the more the merrier, hope you are feeling good today.

I had a serious wobble of motivation this morning, all I wanted to do was eat but then I was lucky enough to have a very inspirational aunt call by who got me back on track - turns out all I needed was to look back at how far I have come already on this weight loss journey, and remind myself of how hard I have worked to get here. One more stone will get me to a healthy bmi and will help my running no end, and I am going to celebrate with a new years day swim in the sea.

If someone had told me a year ago that I would even be contemplating that I would have laughed. I have always loved swimming in the sea but the new years day swims are a big event with cameras and big crowds - but I am actually looking forward to having my picture taken; I will treasure this way to mark the end of a long and life-changing journey.

Does anyone else have something in mind to celebrate their goal that they wouldn't mind sharing? Might get me even more motivated!

• Hi all,

I decided to go on a diet and get back into running as a way of getting fit and losing weight. I started slimming world last week and weighed 13st 12lb, after a week of dieting and joining one of those Regiment Fitness classes, I have already lost 6lb in one week. I would like to lose 2 stone, but don't think I will be able to do that by Christmas. I did go for my first 3 mile run in 8 years today, it was hard work and had to walk in the last few minutes as my Achillies was a little sore (Probably as I am over weight) but it felt good to finally run. So I am hoping to join you all in the weight loss/running motivation!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    well done on that initial loss Dakota, that's a fantastic start!

been very good today, no naughties, plenty of water and green tea and fruit as snacks. kids have had an extremely active day with athletics training this morning and then a duathlon this afternoon! I really wish I had their energy. contemplating joining the club myself to take part in their track training sessions to add some structured tempo and speedwork to my training. hope everyone's having a pleasant weekend!
  • Well I ate pie for lunch, but have just got back from a 90 min run, so hope that more than cancels it out.Slow 11k, but first run in double kms since injury, so I'm pleased.

Going around to a friend's place for lunch tomorrow, but planning to start dieting in ernest on Monday.

I'm not sure I have a real goal like Springle - although I'm going to tenerife for a week at New Year so certainly plan a swim. I'd mainly just like to fit comfortably into some clothes again.

Glad to hear some of you have made some real progress - well done!

• Still feeling a bit drained today so went for an easy walk in the countryside, although on the last downhill I did try a short run.

Toast, bananas, satumas and nuts is what I have been mostly eating today. Stomach is still a little delicate. and plenty of water.

I don't expect to lose anything this week as my weigh in was in a very much dehydrated and glycogen depleted state, I actually anticpate putting on 4-5 lbs, but once stable I'm hoping to drop down under 13 by the end of the month.
    I'm only really happy with my body composition when I'm under 15% body fat, so that is my target.
    A new local parkrun should be starting in January and I'd like to be mildly competitive at that so ideally I'd like to get back to my old racing weight of 12st 3-5lb by then.

• Well done to all and let's keep it going. I did a 16 miler this morning so I'm absolutely beat now. Fortunately I have a fews days in New York so aim to eat American sized portions for a few days. I will be thinking of you all while I'm there image Keep up the good work, plenty of encouraging words and I'm sure we will all see some sort of weight loss over the next few weeks. Bonjour !
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    hope your feelin a bit better marshallini. I'd quite fancy a few days in New york carter, but not the portion sizes! only been to the US once and the food they ate shocked me!! good goin on the 16miler!

no running over he last couple of days as too much going on and Mrs f has been working too. getting out for some miles tomorrow, but still eating healthily so slowly slowly catchy monkey!
  • hey all,

this is just brilliant, so many people all supporting each other and cheering each other on, it is a real help in the tricky times!

Just had my weigh-in, down another pound this week so I am pleased with that.

Unfortunately I will be taking the week off from running to rest my knees, so will be walking instead. Hopefully I will still get the benefits and be ready to run again next week.

My next big challenge is going to be getting through Halloween without being tempted by all the yummy food. I am helping at the kids' school disco and am planning lots of spooky treats for them, I just hope I can resist them myself!

Hope everyone is having a good day, if it is your weigh-in day too I hope you have had a nice surprise! Keep it up, we can do it!

• Hi all, may I please join you too?

I'm getting so fed up - have put on nearly a stone in last 6 months and despite trying to get rid of it again, I have yet to lose a single lbs!!  I should know how to do it, I keep a food diary & I exercise regularly but somehow I always end up sabotaging my efforts by grabbing a biscuit or two or having that glass of wine etc. It's driving me mad! 

Perhaps if I have to own up to you guys every week, I can finally get my head back in the right place....

Anyway, enought of the moaning and here's to a better week.
    Have a lovely day everybody image x

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    morning all! welcome opaki, you have similar vices to me! well done on the loses today springle!

just a 3m off road run in the rain for me this morning after museli for breakfast. all exciting stuff in my house!
  • Thanks, Mr F & great effort for already having banked that 3 miler this morning!
    Monday's are my x-training days, so will be on the bike later.

• The first 5.87 miles on the road to lean athletic excellence.image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    yay! good stuff marshallini!

healthy spag bol for me tonight and tv minus the chocolate and wine tonight!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    afternoon campers! hope we are all having a pleasant healthy day? how was the xc day okapi?
  • Well done Marshallini, hello all again and yes, thank you, Mr F, so far so good :-/

X-training was good, I had the latest episode of Hunted recorded, so I didn't get too bored on the bike.  Finished off with stability ball exercises, a healthy grilled chicken & vegetable couscous dinner and then couldn't help but scoff 3 biscuits - ARGH!

Fartlek session tonight, probably followed by vegetable omelette and definitely NO biscuits...

What about you?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    ah, the dreaded biscuits! my downfall! I'm being very good still, plenty of water and green tea, no fizzy drinks, no booze and virtually no treats. another quick ish off road run this morning, had a bit of a break from running so slowly getting back into the miles again.

has anybody got any events booked in that they are aiming for?
  • Well the diet started properly yesterday, so here goes....

I managed 6km of intervals yesterday and 45 mins on the X trainer followed by a Body balance class today. I've eaten lots of soup and fruit. So, a good start.

Going shopping tonight to take my mind off eating and drinking. Is it ok to swap one vice for another?

I'm a trainer, so bicuits are an occupational hazard. The real challenge comes when I'm staying away from home though and have less control over what I eat for lunch and dinner. Generally this also coincides with being somewhere I'm not able to run.

I've signed up for a 10 mile in Dec and a half marathon in Feb. I was supposed to be running my first half this weekend, but my calf injury lost me too much training. I'm hoping the pounds will automatically drop off as the distance increases. Let's see.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    good going Jane, hope the shopping trip was therapeutic! most of the courses I go on through work tend to involve lots of strong coffee and biscuits just to keep me awake. I'm sure your a far more interesting trainer than I'm used to?

A nice piece of red meat for dinner tonight with some organic veg from our Riverford basket, no desert and no more naughties. also got a few hours free in the morning for another run. after a month off running altogether that should be three in three days!
  • http://www.jamieoliver.com/core/images/jhcs/main-image-2543.jpg

Post run scrambled egg on toast.

The run itself was an odd one.

Started ok, but at about 30 mins really struggled, could've easily packed it in. Instead I let my runnning partner go on ahead and slowed to plod and was just about to be caught by the runner behind when I ducked out and went over the railway bridge, during this short cut I was really contemplating just walking home.

As I a came out at the side of the co-op funeral place I seamlessly rejoined my running partner and got a second wind and we flew back the last 2 and a bit miles.

I have been struggling on all runs for a while now in the 20-30 min area. I'm hoping getting this second wind tonight might be a break through.

http://www.laprogressive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/777-full.jpg

7.77 miles

• Morning all image)

Well done, Jane on both the exercise & eating front yesterday. Hope you enjoyed your shopping - did you buy anything nice?  Sorry to hear you suffered with an injury but sounds like you're coming back strong from it. Is the 10 miler in December your first race?

Great stuff, Marshallini - and really well done for not packing it in, sticking with it and pushing on through. That will not only have boosted your confidence but it should also help you on your next run mentally, now that you know you CAN go further indeed image - well done!

Hope your 3/3 run this morning was a good one, Mr F. I love this foggy, misty weather for running and really wished I was out there as I sat on the train travelling to work - boo.

What's everybody got planned for today then ?

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Do you mind if I join you? I've been running on and off for a few years now but don't seem to be getting any quicker. A friend of mine suggested i try and loose weight to see if it increased my pace.

I recently completed the Liverpool Marathon but didn't loos any weight during my training because I'd get so hungry with all the running I was doing! My fininsh time was really dissapointing.

Favourite distance is half marathon and my pb is just under 2 hours. Would love to be able to beat that in the spring. Hopefully loosing weight will help me achieve my goal.

Look forward to getting to know you all and hearing your inspirational stories!