RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Daren - sorry its that time of the year- my lips are sealed but go on do a marathon. You know you want to. Very speedy interval session even if you were below par.

Gazelle- will the NY marathon be on tv?
  • Darren - which marathon have you entered for your sub3:05 attempt? Enough is enough now with all this stubbornness!!
  • Hope things calm down a bit at work Bro. Two more days to work now image At least you have some time off work before heading to NY to chill out and unwind a bit.  What's your plans for when you're over there, apart from the run? Something I really enjoyed doing post-marathon on the Monday was going to the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station for champagne image 

Hope the hammy and calf sort themselves out Chick. Any excuse to duck out of a 10K image

Gazelle there was live tracking at NY last year, you could (so I've been told) see a little runner icon making it's way around the course. Live!  

Forum outing? My hen do next year will be in Liverpool, they have a parkrun too...

Maybe wearing a long sleeved base layer under a tshirt on Sunday won't be such a bad idea... I'm sticking with shorts though, I need pockets to stuff full of gels!

• I'm sure I saw Daren's name in the entry list for Town Moor image

• Congrats Chick imageimageimage Brilliantly deserved!

I know I'm fairly new to this thread, having been on the other thread previously, but it's clearly hard earned and an inspiration to me that I might yet get there one day .... image

• "there" being 3:30 of course! image

• 2old wrote (see)

Spoons-better encourage Daren to join in then.Isnt Bro going elsewhere too?

2Old- I'm not going anywhere, will be in London but not running, just drinking. I need a break from marathons and concentrate on shorter stuff for a few months.  Berlin will be next for me. Nice pace on your 7.5m today!image

I don't mind skiing talk. It really is another reason why I would rather give VLM miss this year.  I have 2 cheeky weeks of boarding planned for Jan and this usually equals cracked ribs...imageimage

Gazelle- there is free online tracking you can sign up to on the day. I will post the link. I can also get updates on facebook but they charge for it- not much but I really don't think they should charge anything considering the cost of the mara.  A bit cheeky. Are you sure you want to track me though after the last time?image

Carrot- woohoo Oyster Bar, now you're talking, I must research. I haven't got anything set in stone.  Will do all the usual sights.  I've only been to NY once ages ago and Mr B never so there will be a lot of sightseeing to be done. 

Some great ideas for the next year's outing.  Anything that involves wine is fine with me.  The 50m relay also sounds good.

Just under 11m done today with 7 @ MP and looking at my schedule it's all easy from now until the race except for 3 x 1m @ MP intervals next Wednesday. Can't wait now.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    DarenF wrote (see)
    Minni, isn't London longer than the other marathons Spoons and Simon are doing?

Yes it is! 26.73 I measured last year, which actually gives me a marathon time of 3:16.50! image Then of course you can knock off 5 mins for the heat, another 5 for the crowds, then there was the toilet stop - that was another 5.....

DarenF wrote (see)
    Stop going on about the skiing 2Old - don't think we're going to get to go this year image

I'm hoping to get a day at the indoor ski centre in Glasgow next week - providing I can still walk and I'm not ill all week!

DarenF wrote (see)
    Chick, big congratulations and very much deserved - that sub-3:30 was very hard won and it was great to see you achieve your goal.
    Stop going on about the skiing 2Old - don't think we're going to get to go this year image And this lot have been trying to persuade me to do a marathon for ages now but it hasn't worked so far!
    Minni, isn't London longer than the other marathons Spoons and Simon are doing?
    8 x 400m with 200m not really rest intervals today. Didn't feel great and been feeling a bit off colour the last couple of days but got them done - reps in 1:26-1:30 and 'recoveries' averaging around 7:30mm.

Carrot wrote (see)

I'm sure I saw Daren's name in the entry list for Town Moor image

There's a few Darens and a couple of Neils.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Actually there's an indoor ski centre in Manchester too.  That could be the forum outing!

• Minni - Yes this is the Manchester one.....www.chillfactore.com. Longest in uk, with cafes, restuarants, Nandos, ski shop, large evans bike shop and more. And for you girls, just 2mins drive from 'The Trafford Centre', large indoor shopping centre, with a Selfridges.

Daren - Good interval session. I think what you did is what they call active recovery.

It was similar to the session Steve Smythe made us do at the Ascis 26.2 boot camp on a track. 400m slightly faster than 5k pace, with 100m active recovery, slightly slower, x10, equals 5k. So in theory you should end up with a 5k Pb. Tough sess, and I screwed it up by eating too much at lunch. My group had to

do it straight after lunch.
  • Minni - So if your VLM was 26.73m, that's actually longer than a marathon, so is infact classed as an Ultra. So none of your Pb's count as Mara Pb's.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image  image  image  image

Simon - I'm not really a shopper so the Trafford Centre wouldn't entice me. Unless it has a champagne bar, of course!

I think the Glasgow and Manchester ski centres are very similar and run by the same company.  Have you been?  I've never been to either but I thought it would be a fun day out and my daughter is coming and she's never skied.  (She actually doesn't know she's going and thinks the surprise is a spa day!  She'll kill me but I think she'll enjoy it image).

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- you might need skis on Sunday if the weatherman is correct---there's a ski centre in Dubai too if DD s interested

Simon-so that means I've done 3 ultras ..cool..

Bro- Dont boarders spend most of their time on their bums and ruining the pistes for us skiers when we can't get off piste? Where are you going?. Tignes and chamonix for me. I've never found ski trips to interfere with marathon training except I did run everyday before skiing in les Arcs prior to Boston and in Saas Fee this year before VLM

Bro - there are some great high level bars to visit in NY too. I'll try and remember them and let you know where they are. Carb load with beer.

Don't know if anyone reads Runners World Magazine but mine today had an article looking at the effect of drinking beer the night before running. It seems women benefit from it but men do not. Think on this weekend if you want to enhance you performance!
  • Minni, Pretty sure there is a champagne bar at the Trafford centre? And over 27 miles is an ultraimage

Dubai Dave, do you still coach Bruce? Only met the once for a 20miler but always wanted to run with the huskies.

BarryB Liverpool Wirral area for me. Lancaster isn't far. Wesham IS flat. Did both last year, cheap, well organised. Club leagues do cover an area hence Sundays Caernarfon.

Carrot, see above, When is the hen do? maybe we should organise a varied range of activities go karting, horse riding, skiing, park run & drinking.

Chic well done again on the first Shaggy award. If the legs are sore, don't worry about the speed session.

Choosing not to do an autumn marathon to rest a bit and work on speed/ endurance seems to have worked, fun too. Uber gym owner (also S&C coach at Team GB) said hello tonight during a nasty speed/ strength class and asked how much weight I'd lost since joining in January, also wondered if I had a before & after photo? I was a little bit chuffed. image and if Speed Sheep is wondering, no six pack yet, just a lot of lycra. image
  • Minni - Yes been a couple of times, just for fun, as apposed to using it as pre ski holiday training. You can pre book ski lessons for miss minni also.
  • Morning

I ski at the Dubai ski dome every couple of months but as someone who has skied since I was a child it's not exactly demanding ! 5 mins up on the drag 40 secs down, after 1 hour I'm so cold I go home. We will be skiing this January though.

Cycled 60 miles across the desert with my mates as its a holiday Eid Murbarak to you all. Off to Hard Rock Cafe for lunch,then a swim with the kids. Racing ABRaS 10 K tomorrow.
  • FRC nope not in contact with Bruce I have enough trouble looking after the ever growing band of triathletes who ask me what are we doing next weekend Dave as soon as we finish our ride or run. I have come to the conclusion that people like to be told what to do. Trouble is that my idea of normal training is considered a bit extreme by some.
  • Newcastle weather forecast on the Beeb website is currently 9 degrees, white cloud, 13 mph wind. I'll take that image

Indoor skiing would be fun for a thread outing...it's quite a few years since I have been skiing so that could be quite comical. Parkrun in the morning first of course image

Woke up with a stiff hip...must have slept funny on it I think, but of course I am fearing the worst (stress fracture / ITB / dislocation?) image

First dose of beet juice yesterday. I also found some beetroot bars in Planet Organic - sort of like chewy fruit bars but with beetroot. Quite nice in fact! Tonight will be pasta and a glass of wine. 

One final run later today, nice easy pace.

Oh, and I need to read that article about drinking beer before a race...definitely keen to have a Peroni with our Italian for dinner on Saturday night image

• 2Old- I was always under the impression that it's the skiers who ruin the piste for us, snowboarders creating moguls and such!image Yes, there is a lot of sitting on your bum but it's to do with a social aspect- it's the perfect time to have a shot of something before going down the slopeimageimage. I'm off to Whistler in Janimage. I have made sure there is a treadmill in the hotel so I'll definitely get some running in. High level bars in NY sound like my kind of thing- details please!

Free- hope the hip is ok, enjoy your last run.

Does it have to be beer the night before the mara?  I'm not really a beer drinker.  Would cider do the trick?

I'm done stressing at work, time to start winding down.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning all

Bro and Free-please dont hold me responsible if the beer supplement produces an adverse reaction 

Bro the test was done with beer not cider and not many people.Whistler is up there with our favourites -some lovely bowls to play in-dont you like moguls?Details of NY bars etc to follow

Will try some intervals today...joy!

• 2Old- nope, hate moguls, love vast amounts of deep fresh powderimage

• Just want to say well done to Chic on the award, totally deserved, and good luck to all TMers this weekend. Hope you all have a great time of it, before, during and after the race image.  

If my running was a football team it would be 'in transition'. Have made a decision not to tackle another marathon until i've worked more at 5k-HM. So have started on some proper intervals which are completely new to me but going OK. Hoping this will give me a few more seconds at 5k/10k, and a few minutes at HM and beyond. But next marathon may not be til next autumn.

Also had a bit of a setback two weeks ago when I was ploughed down by a cyclist. He was on a recumbent bike so basically my thighs took a pasting. Nothing too damaged but some very colourful bruising. His fault not mine! Back running now.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Good Kev-welcome back-sorry to hear about your bike accident and glad you are on the mend. Dont forget to keep up the LRs even if speed training-they  help a lot there too.

Bro-moguls are great for strengthening the quads

• Kev - ouch. Recumbents always look like an accident waiting to happen!

Beer before a race - why should the ladees have all the fun image

• Berlin pre registration is open, anyone know what a paps test is(it mentions it when registering)? Did a google search and came up with pap test.image

• Has anyone done Wokingham HM?, trying to plan my spring races.  Tried to edit above to include this but no joy.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ant P wrote (see)

Beer before a race - why should the ladees have all the fun image

I've also heard it said that ladees can canoodle the night before a race but men can't.....  image

I'm not going to go for Berlin because it would be too complicated.

I'm sure I remember someone doing the Wokingham HM but can't remember who it was.

• 2old: moguls are for we skiers, long may boarders hate them. I am an OK boarder but can't stand having to a) sit down when I stop b) take one foot off at every chair lift c) come to a grinding halt and have to walk on the flat but its pretty col when your carving turns with you fingers touching the snow, usually do 1 day boarding to remind me of a to c above !
  • Busy on here. Anyone would think someone is running a marathon this weekend....

• Minni -  Not done Berlin but I think its the same as other marathons, set off run for 26.2 miles then stop.image