Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• could everyone else please get off the marathon photos website.  I WANNA LOOK!!!image

Squirrelpoo and kaz - fingers crossed you get home!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @RS - it was the same for me earlier... It took over 30 mins to load. It doesn't help that they've just emailed with links
  • have seen a little bit of video and glimpse of photos.  I have a massive running shuffle going on. image

• Does anyone remember what the music was that they played just before the start of the race? It was some sort of stirring, uplifting thing, and it was really familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.
  • RR - I have it on video; I tried to 'shazam' it but it wouldn't work; I really want to know what it was too, I really liked it... it was sort of chariots of fire but hyped up (it was early, I was tired!) image

• Can't find the Comrades cutoff video. She falls on the ground, then a runner comes along behind her (possibly a clubmate as they both have the same top on), scoops her up under his arm and bundles her over the line with seconds to spare. Was nail-biting stuff.

RR - I was wondering what it was. It rings a bell, but I couldn't remember where from.

• Thanks for clearing that up Weedy. Just been forced into watching the people coming in at 12 hours something. Heartbreaking and not what one needs to see at this point!!

Then again I keenly observed none of them were ginger. Once again....
  • H - You'll do great - you won't let the Ginger Ninjas Marathon Club down. I'm v envious of you. I got as far as looking into flights and hotel prices, but it was going to be a massive hit on my bank account, so I decided to save for a year and do a UK ultra first. Plus it's a down run next year image If you're into podcasts, search for "brad brown's running podcast". He doesn't seem to be posting any more but it's good stuff.

And there's loads of info here if you haven't come across it

http://alsoranrunners.info/

• I am told that it was the music from Gladiator but can't swear it to be true. Happy with my finish time of 3 hrs 25 56 but looking forward to finally seeing the photos! How long is that taking??!!!!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@H - do you have to prove that you could run the specific time/distance? I'd love to run comrades but it's a long way!

• Emmy - Next year. Comrades. Thee and me.

H - And you so you've done the up and down back-to-back.

• Next year as in 2013?  Or you were talking about the year after?  Still plenty of time for 2013 and all you need is a 5 hr marathon to qualify.  I think it's more about showing that you have the commitment and know what you're potentially letting yourself in for.

There's a few of us doing it in 2013.  You know you want to...image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hmm.. When is it H?.... *wanders off to convince hubby that South Africa is a great place to visit*

• Yes, sorry, I meant 2014. I need time to save up for it sadly.

• Comerades is on my to do list as well. I would rather an up year so hopefully will be ticking it off in 2015.

I knocked 8 1/2 mins off my pb to come in at 3.02.02, delighted with that result as the congestion in the first couple of miles along with dodging and weaving meaning I ran 26.5 miles, definately accounts for more than 2 mins so I know I can do sub 3 image

I knew the cups would be an issue for me so just ran with a bottle of lucozade, I took some shot blocks as well but didn't use them. The sponges were very refreshing in the later stages. I fortunately didn't encounter the wall this time and think that was partly to do with running to feel and not trying to hit a certain pace each mile. I will definately run to feel in all my races from now on.

Amsterdam was my 3rd favourite marathon due to congestion and fewer supporters, behind Berlin in second and London as the top one. Someone mentioned Dublin - the course is interesting and varied but not a quick course, there's a few sneaky hills, I can recommend both the Guiness and Jameson factories the next day though!

Well done everyone who ran on Sunday and hoep you're all recovering image

• Thanks for clearing that up Weedy. Just been forced into watching the people coming in at 12 hours something. Heartbreaking and not what one needs to see at this point!!

Then again I keenly observed none of them were ginger. Once again....
  • Not sure why that just reposted?? June 2nd? Emmy..... imageimage
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Comrades is just the best race ever, cant recommend it enough. And next year being an Up year i think is slightly easier on the body. Anybody who has the passion to complete it WILL complete it. 90% of the distance is in the mind. If you want to complete it you will. Enjoy the journey....

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Does anyone remember what the music was that they played just before the start of the race? It was some sort of stirring, uplifting thing, and it was really familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Just been listening to Tony's Trials on Marathon Talk and he says it was by Hans Zimmer, unless he was talking about a different piece that they played earlier.

• Have just gone through the Gladiator album, it's not on there, it's bugging me now!

• Suzy - Tony was talking about being stood next to a guy dressed as Batman, and then said about them playing some uplifting music by the guy who did the music to the Batman film. Don't know whether that meant the music was from the Batman film or not.

• was it pirates of the caribbean?  Hans did that one...it's bugging me too.  seems to easy though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZcMv0H1bI

• Thanks for the lowdown - especially to Weedy, Monk and Emmy.

Hope you have all sufficiently recovered and I hope to see you all at Amsterdam at some point. I bit the bullet (only cos I was scared of the finishing/cut off time) and entered Edinburgh as my first marathon next year (26.05.13) - so if I survive that then 2014 I will def go for Amsterdam x

• Oo, I've just entered Edinburgh this morning. This is what happens to me when I'm bored at work.

• @Weedy - Brill! I am scared stupid already but ......

Never done a marathon before - but have completed Leeds 1/2 marathon x 2 and GNR x 5. Just want to see if I can do it - and don't want to waste too much money if I can't!

What training plan are you following?

• Have put a vid of the start with the music on fb so will see if any bright souls out there know! 

• Suzy Martines wrote (see)

Have put a vid of the start with the music on fb so will see if any bright souls out there know! 

What's the link?

• hmmm...edits not working.  didn't click you said fb not you tube.  time for me to sleep I think.

• Hans Zimmer hey?  Listening to song after song on You Tube and they feel right but nothing's ringing a bell as yet!  The Inception one seems close, but not quite.

Recovery going well for me now, backs of each knee were shot and aching for two days straight but been for a massage this evening and legs are now feeling much better.  Zero running for seven days though, that's the plan and I am sticking to it.

Berlin opens tomorrow and decided yesterday to take on a spring marathon for 2013 too.  Was going to concentrate on 10k/HM for a few months but after bashing into the wall, I am keen to get back out there and put right a few wrongs from the Dam.  I definintely weaved about and changed pace too much at the beginning - I registered 26.5M too Sal F.  Going for a low-key local one just a few miles down the road, will be a totally different experience after Edinburgh and Amsterdam.

• Karen - I don't really follow a training plan as such. On an ideal week, I do four runs - two intervals, one tempo run and one long run, which is about half-marathon distance when I'm a long way off a marathon, then I just add a mile to it every week, so the closer to the marathon, the farther I'm going. I like to do a full 26-miler three weeks out, but I'm a bit mad in that respect. Everything you read says you only need to train to about 20-22 miles, partly because of the increased risk of injury, but psychologically I like to know I go the full distance. Plus I do bits and bobs in the gym and pool each week.

I think I'm probably in the minority by not working to a plan. What does everyone else here do?