Thursday 25th October 2012

Morning you lot

Todays lyrics: I'll sing it one last time for you.

Yesterdays lyrics: Black Eyed Peas and 'I've got a feeling.'

What:5M Fartlek.

Dry, mild, little wind. Good weather conditions.Better than most of summer weatherrup here !

Coffee calling now.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning!

What: A very long work day. No running.

Why: It's got to be done.

Last hard:  Saturday, I suppose... but a nice brisk 3.5 miles last night.

Last rest: Wednesday

Lyrics:  Yes!  Bought the sheet music and tinkle out my own rather arythmic version on the piano from time to time.

• Morning.

NN - I'm certainly not very good at either. To be honest I usually get back in the pool or on the bike the day after and just keep going, albeit with easy sessions, but I had a rough four weeks before the marathon and ended up ill for six weeks after VLM so am trying to avoid that. What schedule do you follow?

birks - are you forecast the dip in temperature for the weekend that we are?

OH - didn't realise you had a potential race this weekend - why are you thinking of not going? At least you have your JS time gap sorted for this evening.

Hope it goes well and you get some swift, reassuring answers Alehouse.

What:         nothing
    Why:          last day of self imposed ban
    Last hard:  being so tired despite not doing anything
    Last rest:   24/10

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all, know the lyrics today image

Weights session today if I finish work in time.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning...
    I gotta feeling I should know todays words...
    Birks - caffeine first, then log on!
    AleH- hope today goes well
    LmH - not found a suitable marathon, but trying to find some longer off road events (HalfM + distance) that are equally as gruelling. Nice and easy Hellrunner starts the ball rolling in a couple of weeks.
    What - something easy + coaching the year 5 & 6s later
    Why - tight hammy, saw QoP yesterday and between my screams I think she said it was a minor strain (didnt feel that way..) So stretching and icing, and some gentle jogging...

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

dustin hop the hammy eases

lmh, sometimes the doing nothing makes you feel that way I bet

yesterdays lyrics, thwack! Up the backside!

dont think I know today's

what: gym session d&d, club run later

why: pay a lot of money for that gym I need to use it or lose it!

last hard: this mornings punch bag

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hey folks Eid Murbarak

NN how's it going maid?

Ale hope your soon back on your feet

What: cycled 60 miles across the desert at dawn

Why: Eid holiday so not working

Last hard: yesterday's 8 miles at MP shouldn't have been but it was

Last rest: Saturday
  • What: 5k dressed as an evil zombie owl.
    Why: Halloween fun run with a few friends in Battersea Park!
    Last hard: Sunday.
    Last rest: Tuesday.

Wabo that's how I think about the gym too. Haven't been this week but going to force myself in tomorrow and Sunday. LMH my contract at the job I'm in is only 6 months so I'll be looking for a new one in January. Dustin 'hellrunner' certainly looks hellish. Lyrics yes, much prefer the famous cover to the original.

• What: Halloween howler 5K in my skeleton pajamas

Why: who wouldn’t what to do a 5K in fancy dress

Last hard: it's been a wee while

Last rest: yesterday...

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - thinking of you. hope you get a successful outcome.

Me - marking time this week as I have a heavy cold. Just steady running at present so shirking a bit on the club speed sessions.
  • What: JS session this evening
    Why: it's Thursday
    Last Hard: Working 8:30 though to 9pm yesterday
    Last Rest:Yesterday (from physical activity)
    Lyrics: no

Probably staying at home this weekend. Crap forecast for travelling.
    HH - welcome

DD dawn 60 mile across the desert - sounds like a different world

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What: 10 km with club
    Why: if I don't go they only have 1 person!!!  Plus it's part of the grand plan.
    Lyrics: Nope

Alehouse good luck today, I'm crossing fingers and holding thumbs for you.
    LHM glad you're still being sensible.  How are you feeling?
    Hello HH

Have a good one all.

• Eid Mubarak!

Interesting times! Last night leg really flared up so I wasn't surprised this morning when prostate people wouldn't do the tests. Back to see sister at GPs. Was more swollen than Tuesday but less than last night. Stitches seemed clean but she took a swab for testing. Doubled the antibiotics. Temperature noal: if it had been high she was going to send me to hospital to go on a drip: hope I've not got that to look forward to!!

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Sorry for the self centred post!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

DD  I not be too bad thanks..howz you me handsome ?

LMH schedule is P&D up to 70 miles lots of miles but not much speed work image suits me just fine I would rather run 15 miles than charge round a track any day ..

What : 4.5 miles (2 and a bit to the gym 2 and a bit running home) and some weights squats and all that stuff

Why: Cos someone said doing squats and lunges is good for me image

Last hard : 21st

Last rest :: 20th

Lyrics yes I know those...but cant remeeber the rules do I let on now or later ?image

• OH it is another world

NN I'ze be proper maid
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

nn I have been doing them squats and lunges too, dont let on now, re lyrics that is..

hi to HH

• That should say temperature normal! Can't edit for some reason!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

alehouse, I was trying to work out the initials and what it might mean and decided it must be techinical! Dont laugh... image

• Wabo: not laughing! I couldn't work out what I'd written either!

Tom: hope the cold isn't man flu!

GGG: don't scare too many people!
  • Bugger ... had typed a long post and then our internet at work crashed image

alehouse: sounds all a bit horrifying image. Hope things are starting to improve soon.

LMH: enjoy that final day of rest image

NN: I second that. If I can avoid speedwork, I will image. P&D schedules are great. And they work.

what: been lazy so far
    why: cold & raining *shiver* -- hope it's improving by the time I go home!
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: Tuesday
    lyrics: no, although I will probably kick myself tomorrow!

• Alehouse - no temperature is good. Shame about the tests, do you have a new date.

OH - hope the weather improves for JS.

GGG and HH - as for who wouldn't want to? Me - 5k's hurt!

GGG - hope you find something swiftly - must be a difficult way to live or are your contracts sometimes longer?

DD - when is the marathon?

NN - you just say yay or nay, the OP reveals the lyrics later or the next day. Don't think I could tolerate that kind of mileage without breaking.

Tom - take it easy and get over it quickly.

Dustin - hope it comes to nothing.

I'm feeling very tired but my jab is due on Tuesday and it's week 5 of my full time hours which I'm not used to and is bound to be having a bit of an effect - there is a reason I don't usually work full time and that's because I get too tired. It's not rocket science as TR would say. No end in sight currently but should hopefully know when the new incumbent will be in post within the next two weeks.

• LMH: appointment is 2 weeks today. One relatively good bit of news is that I got the latest PSA result, which is down to 5.4 from 7.2 (although I was told today it should be around 3 for my age).

Re short term contracts, my son is suffering the same with the BBC: he is on a rolling 3 month contract, with the next one finishing at Christmas...last time he didn't find out until 10 days before that they still wanted him, which presents lots of problems, particularly with accommodation. Which reminds me (Birming ham connection) where is MadameO?!

A shame that I am now effectively self-employed (plus my pension!): no sick pay!!

• Alehouse I would definitely take the significant PSA fall as a good omen

• OH knows what he's talking about Alehouse - that is indeed good news.

Enjoy JS OH.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning - oops evening i mean

Was working all last night breakfast with a work chum after then bed had a decent sleep well as decent as you can get following after a night shift

No running yep my streak is over (153 days) my choice i'm ok

Alehouse sorry to hear you are still in the wars hope things improve which no doubt you wish too
    Must be stresssfulv re your son about work contracts

Alehouse and Tom possibly any of you know/hear of Ken Batty  (elder brother of Mel) he died recently was in the local paper He was one of the founder members of the local club and least once raced against Zatopek. He was 84

• Busy on here today.

Nah I prefer to long on then have my caffine.

LMH: The gritters were out about an hour ago gritting teh roads up here.

More to catch up on.

• Hello you lot!
    I don’t tend to advertise on the internet that I’m going on holiday. It might be paranoia, but I feel that it rather asks for the house to be burgled. Imagine my shock and horror when we get back home to see an A4 sign in my small daughter’s window to say “I am on holiday and will be back on 25th October”. Words were exchanged. Thankfully there had been no attempt on the house this time.

Sicily has been enjoying the last throes of summer warmth, and temperatures reached 26 or so. We ate outside every evening, and more to the point did lots of outside stuff. Swimming in the outdoor pool was OK, not quite hypothermic, but a mile at a time was enough. I did go into the sea, which was lovely, right until I felt something brush my chest and then OUCH! Fackin’ jelly fish. I now sport a very bright red tattoo mark that is like a potato print of a jelly fish on my arm. A coldish pool was more inviting after that.  

According to my Garmin, the hotel was at 560ft. The sea, (obviously) was at 0ft, and when I ran up the hill I made 1350ft. The run to the sea was 1 mile. Up the hill was a zigzag total of 6 miles round trip. It appears that the leg strength is OK, no idea about endurance or speed!

Physio visit after I got home, and guess what? I’m older, tighter, and have been doing odd stuff like swimming.

Brain dump completed, now I’ll try and find out what’s been going on.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Blisters thanks for sharing your head with us. I had a similar experience on Corsica several years ago..."The only way is up"

Alehouse: sorry that your frustrations continue, but its promising that your PSA result is dropped. I doubt I've got much more than a heavy cold - I had a reasonably doable club session tonight - kept the efforts relaxed and ran the recoveries a bit quicker than usual. Session was followed a hot both and a couple of Whiskeys and dry ginger. Fortunately, as a casual accountant, my standard fee for completing a year end self assessment tax return is ??20 + a bottle of whiskey.

Pammie: I didn't know of Ken Batty. The most prominent of Mel Batty's contemporaries from that area and time was the Chelmsford AC's cross country international Brian Hill-Cottingham.

Sensible club session tonight. Riddled with the cold

This weekend is our club's annual road race, the Fenland 10 (miles), your typical flat fast fenland course. Gobi got a second place in it back in 2008, so it's well worth a punt if you happen to be in the Wisbech area of a Sunday.