Traumatised by a horror film as a child...

The Grauniad's running a comments comment on what scared the bejasus out of you when you saw it on TV as a child. Was it a horror flick or something else?

For me it was the Daleks - always gave me nightmares.

And I remember that bit in "I Claudius" where Caligula gets stabbed to death feeling very peculiar, it was an image that stayed in my mind for days image  

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Watership Down. Horrific film! 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I remember being very, very scared watching Land of the Giants.

Also the cybermen - my friend and I were playing in my garden and decided to hide in the shed so the cybermen wouldn't find us and feeling scared.

I don't think either really traumatised me, though!

• The Time Machine.... I remain traumatised by the Morlocks to this day.

• Screen Two: Ghostwatch, shown on Halloween night 1992. I was 16 at the time and saw that the BBC were showing this Halloween special. I'd never watched Screen Two before and didn't know what its premise was.

The programme was filmed to look like a real life documentury about paranormal investigations in a suburban house in England. It was presented by Sir Michael Parkinson, Sarah Green and Mike Smith. They had paranormal investigators in (played by actors) and they were filming live from this house. There was suppossed to be a ghost living in the house called Mr Pipes, so called because he lived in the airing cupboard. The family's eldest daughter became psossessed by the ghost live on tv and started chanting things. In the end it shows Sarah Green dissapearing in to a romm full of strange noises, never to return and the programme finally ends with Sir Michael Parkinson possessed by a ghost and chanting nursery rhymes and all of the studio lights blow up. I slept with the light on that night! image

The following day the BBC had a record number of complaints about it. they wwere forced to release a statement saying that it was all a fake and they hadn't really killed off two major tv celebrities. But the main point is that by making it look so real, they did the job that they had set out to do. They scared Britain good and proper on Halloween night.

Good work BBC! image

• Sarah, funny you should say Watership Down, I came in one night when (an awful lot younger) and noticed my folks had got two videos out (in t' good old days when it was still a toss up between VHS and Beta-Max) ... the first was Watership Down, and the second was the Evil Dead (uncensored pre-ban version) ... so being a typical teen I watched the Evil Dead, then couldn't go up to bed until I'd watched Watership Down to convince myself I wasn't going to get murdered in my sleep!

• The Orange ball in the prisoner

• As a kid I saw 'The Blob', in black and white.

There's a bit where a car mechanic gets absorbed. You don't see it, he's on a 'roller' under an engine and you see him  suddenly shoot right under the car.

For ages after, if it was dark, when I got out of bed it would be with a leap.....

• Not a film but I had a set of Usborne - World of the Unknown books.  The series included books on Ghosts, Monsters and UFOs.  

The pages of horror contained therein are too numerous to descibe in detail, but I distincly remember a cyclops ghost dog known as the Black Shuck that particularly filled me with terror.

The books had to be put back on the shelves at night to prevent the evil from escaping from the pages.

• The Trollenburg Terror, 1958. Well I was only seven at the time and TV was in its infancy. Sci/fi was quite scary for us kids in those days.

Later I found The Exorcist quite disturbing...I have never been able to watch the film on TV 

• One more thing that really did scare me, and still does to this date ....

the faceless nun in the rocking chair in the old Armchair Thriller series !!  imageimageimage

• The Exorcist scared the shit out of me, for weeks I had to sleep with the light on.

I sneaked into the cinema at the age of 16 to see, bad judgement on my behalf....image

As Autumn says I still can't watch it..

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

1970s Public Information Films

This scared the bejeesus out of me as a kid.  Not sitting there watching like a film and being scared, but some years later thinking back and wondering "Hang on, what was that sick thing I watched with all the kids playing near the train tracks?  Was it a documentary?  I'm sure there was blood... I know it was the 70's but even so..."

Seriously, WTF?!

• Doctor Who and the Pyramid of Mars. I thought the mummies were really scary.

The first time I ever watched Alien I managed to get as far as them starting to hunt for the creature and had to stop watching it. Took me years before I could watch it all the way through. Now their one of my favourite movies series and Sigourney Weaver one of my favourite actresses.

• I suppose if Public Information films scared the crap out of you then they were doing their job image

I've heard people that grew up in rural areas say they remember one where all sorts of horrible things happened to kids that played on farms. As a townie I never saw that one...

• I was ok with scary films, but Labyrinth really upset me the first time I saw it. I was six and it was just a couple of months after my younger sister was born. I was really traumatised by the idea that Sarah wasn't going to get her baby brother back, I spent nearly all the film anxiously asking everyone in the room if it was all ok in the end and was really really upset during the staircase scene when she kept running towards Toby but could never reach him. Now I can watch it and appreciate the magic pants .. I mean dance image

I saw The Woman In Black (play, not film) about six months ago. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! So scary. There's a bit when the lights go out and all you can hear the noise of a rocking chair rocking back and forth on wooden floorboards. Terrifying. I still haven't plucked up the courage to watch the film!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I suppose if Public Information films scared the crap out of you then they were doing their job image

I've never been killed whilst playing on the train tracks, so there is that!

• Xine, the rocking chair bit in the film is scary too! image

12A was the wrong rating for this, should have been a 15.

• Thanks Screamapillar! *removes The Woman In Black from Amazon shopping basket*

Can't believe it is 12A! I bet there are thousands of traumatised little Harry Potter fans out there!

• xine267 wrote (see)

I bet there are thousands of traumatised little Harry Potter fans out there!

imageimage

• The Woman in Black book was proper scary

Tommygun2 wrote (see)

The Exorcist scared the shit out of me, for weeks I had to sleep with the light on.

I sneaked into the cinema at the age of 16 to see, bad judgement on my behalf....image

As Autumn says I still can't watch it..

+1 on The Exorcist. Scared the sh*t out of me as a teenager, and I still look nervously at the loft hatch in our house image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I vaguely remember watching the Exorcist many many years ago, but I don't remember it being particularly scary. 

I guess Land of the Giants and the Cybermen had toughened me up!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Two films stand out for me.

The first is Alien. The original one, which was imho a masterpiece of gradual suspense-building with one moment that frightened the bejasus out of me, in that it startled me and made me jump. That was the bit with the monster and John Hurt's stomach ...

But the one that had a lasting impact on me was Marathon Man. Lawrence Olivier as That Dentist. I've not been able to watch it since it came out. Just thinking about That Scene gives me the heebie jeebies. Seriously.

"Is it safe?" ... excuse me, I need to leave ... image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Bruce C wrote (see)

Sarah, funny you should say Watership Down, I came in one night when (an awful lot younger) and noticed my folks had got two videos out (in t' good old days when it was still a toss up between VHS and Beta-Max) ... the first was Watership Down, and the second was the Evil Dead (uncensored pre-ban version) ... so being a typical teen I watched the Evil Dead, then couldn't go up to bed until I'd watched Watership Down to convince myself I wasn't going to get murdered in my sleep!

I'd take the Evil Dead over Watership Down any day!

Very few film scare me. I watched Night of the Living Dead when I was 11 years old, and far from being scared by it I now have a zombie obsession image

I remember watching a tv docu-drama about a pandemic flu outbreak. I can't remember what it was called, but that was quite scary - probably because there's the potential that it could actually happen image

• The Woman in Black was done as a 2-part TV drama in the early 80s. We found it to download, and watched it a few weeks ago.

Low budget and no special effects to speak of, just the natural effect of swirling mists accross the causeway and so on..... I found it far scarier than the new film!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Sarah!  I've just seen this on bookface and thought of you.  How do you fancy starring in a video as a zombie??    imageimage

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Sarah!  I've just seen this on bookface and thought of you.  How do you fancy starring in a video as a zombie??    imageimage

image Email sent! Strangely enough I'm going to be spending that morning as a zombie as well image

• As well as the daleks from dr who, also the yetis, who had a golden ball that they took from their stomach ? Anything with sharks in ........

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Watership Down. Horrific film! 

Yep. Agree to that.... watching it back 10 or so years later I couldnt see what the fuss was about but it still makes me cry whenever i hear bright eyes

PhilPub wrote (see)

This scared the bejeesus out of me as a kid.  Not sitting there watching like a film and being scared, but some years later thinking back and wondering "Hang on, what was that sick thing I watched with all the kids playing near the train tracks?  Was it a documentary?  I'm sure there was blood... I know it was the 70's but even so..."

Seriously, WTF?!

I've never seen anything like that Phil.... bloody nasty stuff.

For me it was Dr. Who, terminator 2 judgment day. I was convinced there was someone trying to chase me up the stairs!

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Seriously, WTF?!

I think that is brilliant......I can't remember seeing it but i think it would have been useful.........i think they should make them hardhitting