Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Do you think if we told the Paris organisers that they could learn a lot from Berlin that our entries would 'disappear'? I've never seen a registration go so quickly!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Of course it's efficient. It's Ze Germans....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

In less than 40 minutes - over half of the bibs have gone for the race. Crazy!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - If you can run a 4:04 off so little training I'm impressed.

I personally do an 18 week training plan for a marathon. I guess what is acceptable mileage really depends on what time you have available to train, how injury prone you are etc. Most weeks my training plans have me running between 40-50 miles. A rest week would see me do around 30 miles. Normally running five times a week. I don't think raw numbers in terms of mileage means all that much though. I think it would be easy to argue I've ran a lot of "junk" miles over the years.

Going on how well some others have done intervals seem to be a great way to help boost speed. My own personal experience is that getting in at least 4/5 20 mile or more runs makes a difference for me in the later stages of a marathon. I tend to blow up badly in the final few miles if I've not done that amount.

The likes of TD are far more scientific in their approach to training so will be in a better position to advise you on your plans. I'm currently rethinking how to best improve my speed without impacting endurance for Paris next year. I've put pressure on myself by entering the sub 3:45 pen when I'm not confident at all that I can achieve that. I've only gone sub 4 once in nine marathons.

TD - Sorry to hear your knee is giving you problems again. Fingers crossed it's a simple fix.

DLR - Is a chat and some tea not right? I knew I was doing something wrong.

• Johnny - I'm no expert, but I've been doing intervals for the last six months and my PBs have tumbled like you wouldn't believe.

Eggy - I forgot to say the other day that I've also done a load more swimming that I used to do, which has possibly helped increase my Vo2max figure. I don't aim for speed, but just plod up and down the lane doing front crawl trying to go as long as I can between breaths - ie starting off with a breath on the third arm stroke for a few lengths, then doing them on the fifth, then the seventh. By the time I reach nine I need a good few seconds at the end of each length to get my breath back.

• Anyone interested in Venice next year or are you all doing Berlin?  Only 8000 entries so I want to get registered early.

ATM - do you have any pointers re Venice?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Elizabeth - when is Venice? 28th October?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello All - back from Mausland and I think I've managed to catch up on the thread image (ok - a bit of skimming).

Mausland - fabulous. Loved it. Did loads, saw loads, spent loads.

Went onto the Berlin marathon page today and noticed this pre-registration thingy, Cripes. Filled in my details and it seems that I'm pre-registering fro the 110 Euro group - wow. Haven't had a confirmation email yet but I'm being patient.

I'll have to weigh myself later just to see how good my holiday was.

...and then get back to running image

• Elizabeth - I'm humming and haaing between Venice, Dublin or going back to Amsterdam

• Welcome back Orbutt,

Sounds like you've had a brilliant time!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome back Orbutt image

@Kaz1 - Maybe it's like taper madness being on the injury bench?

• Thanks for the replies and advice guys, and good luck with the sub 3.45 attempt Eggy.

I have included intervals in my plan at least once every two weeks. Perhaps I should drop a hill session once in a while for an extra interval one.
  • Indeed Emmy!!

I saw my first ever tapir on Monday at Amsterdam zoo!
  • Welcome back Orbutt! Is it good to be the right way up again?image

Dannirr hope the foot's ok

Johnny: sounds good but make a slow transition. Just my personal experience but I've found a high correlation between sudden changes to weekly mileage and injuries.

I had an expensive run at lunchtime. Berlin would have been €60 if I'd waited 5 minutes before going. Didn't expect it to go so fast. By the time I got back it was €110 image

• Seems the thread is doing Berlin next year!

• I know i said I wouldn't...

• Berlin sold out - Wow!
  • At 11.15 this morningimage

• Who's officer in charge of listmaking in NGUG's absence?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

DV is the man...but maybe we should start at separate Berlin thread as it could get confusing :/

@Neil - you should have asked - I had a meeting set aside from 11.55-12.10 to sign upimage

• I am a bad mother.........When kidz asked about going to Berlin, I told them I'd expect some homework from them on the city?! I have now just told the eldest I want her to research the 'Berlin Wall' or she isn't coming!!image Now to set the youngest a task???

Eldest is now arguing that they will do it in History.........

• Emmy - Venice is on Sunday 27th October....tempted?

Weedy - You know you want to image  Venice has got to beat Amsterdam for scenery alone.  Besides which, Dublin is getting far too crowded now as it keeps doublin' each year.....that is my attempt at a joke!

Kaz - sorry that you are on the injury-bench.  It is utter pants being unable to run.  I missed Berlin last year and according to my family I was a pain to live with.  On the day of the race I had to be taken to the mountains for a trek to take my mind off  what I was missing.  I suffer with taper madness but that is simple compared to injury.  Sending recovery vibes to you and TD.   

• Johnny - I haven't done a marathon yet - Paris will be the first.

But for the first three half marathons I ran I concentrated on long runs with no speedwork.

For my last one I concentrated on speedwork, threshold, intervals and fartleks with one long run at the weekend. I knocked 10 mins of my pb for a half marathon - 8 weeks in to a 12 week schedule (target was under two hours in conwy).

I am now a convert to speedwork.

My Asics site is where I have got my training schedule for an ambitous sub 4 marathon. Three runs a week concentrating on short fast runs.

'quality not quantity'

However, each to the own and its what you feel comfortable with.

Plus wish i could run 4.04 with little or no training..............

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Wow, Berlin sure sold out fast this year. I'm pretty sure entries had been open for a few weeks when I signed up for the 2011 race! No Berlin for me next year or Venice, or any other autumn marathon. I think I'll need a break from marathon training over the summer. I'll either focus on shorter races, or maybe try and find a cycle event to do as I really enjoyed the etape the other year. It might give me the excuse to take the bike to France and toddle about a bit like I've always wanted to do.

Now booked in for the physio on Saturday morning. No doubt paying good money to be told off and then battered silly, sorry massaged..

• How did you get on in Conwy James, and what's the route like?  Curious as I did a longish run from Llandudno-Rhos-Colwyn Bay-Conwy-Llandudno earlier this year.

I think different approaches work for different people and it partly depends on where your natural strengths/weaknesses lie as to where you need to focus more effort.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Welcome back to Blighty, Orbutt.

My PB...4.12, so still with a long way to go...was the year my general diet was at its best and where I did some ( just some ) core exercises..I'm going to have another go at that and do some 'speed' stuff.Realistically, I think I'm too old to improve.image

Elizabeth, I made some Notes about Venice...But yahoo ate my old Contacts.Can you message me your e-address and I'll dig them out.