Run to the Beat London 2012

2»

Comments

• So, so excited about Sunday...I've trained hard...got though a thigh injury, a infection with anti biotics and now a massive blister, but I am so happy the day is nearly here. 

Last long run today before lots of rest. 

If you are running on Sunday, hope you have a good time! 

• I didn't get a wristband in my pack.  Does that matter?

• Hey,

Looking for some advice please! I have been really looking forward to this race and got up to 11 miles a couple of weekends ago so felt really ready. On Sunday however I got struck down with really sore throat/stomach and was off work on Monday. I have since just been struggling with sore throat and bad cold/cough so have not been able to train at all. Should I hold out and see how I feel on Sunday or should I call it quits now, I really want to run but I also dont want to do myself any serious damage and I am not sure if any one has been in a similar situation before that can give me some advice?

Thanks

Nicole

• JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    I'm a pacer at this event and down for 1.30 group. My friend is pacing the 2 hr group. Sounds like SW trains are a nightmare with bus replacements from South coast, woking, clapham etc. so planning on driving to Wimbledon and getting train from there. Don't get caught out if going by train.
  • JH 1 wrote (see)
    I'm a pacer at this event and down for 1.30 group. My friend is pacing the 2 hr group. Sounds like SW trains are a nightmare with bus replacements from South coast, woking, clapham etc. so planning on driving to Wimbledon and getting train from there. Don't get caught out if going by train.

JH 1 - How many pace makers are there? Are they every half hour? Also for the 2 hr group any idea how long it takes to get over the start line?

• Chris Afzal wrote (see)
    JH 1 wrote (see)

JH 1 - How many pace makers are there? Are they every half hour? Also for the 2 hr group any idea how long it takes to get over the start line?

My wife was in the 2-2.30hr group last year and said it took 45 mins to cross the start line! I get the impression that they bottleneck the start quite tightly to avoid congestion once runners cross the start line.

Last year wasn't a problem as the did the race in September and the weather was nice and warm. This year I think a few people are in for a shock as he forecast on Sunday is saying it may be rather cold.

My hint: Take an old sweater you don't want and chuck it once you get running.

• What about the bottom half? I am used to wearing 3/4 tights as I get too hot quite quickly. They are quite flimsy though. should I switch to my full length tights or just put some jogging bottoms on then whip them off.....aaargh as you can see..Race day worries are kicking in!!

jubilee line .. Any disruptions. Coming in from Hertfordshire?

any other top tips to stop me panicking!!
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Don't panic it's only a race. ;o) Remember just to enjoy it and that might help.

I don't know anything about starts as 1st time pacing and running it. It sounds like it will be very busy so that is one reason I'm not driving to park at O2 so I can get away after.
  • gemgemx - There's no planned engineering works on the Jubilee Line this weekend. 

I am also really worried about standing in the cold before the race starts. I know it sounds lame as I should be worrying about the race, I can run happily in the cold but not just standing in it!

My friend told me at the Royal parks half a couple of weeks ago they collected all the discarded tops and gave them to Oxfam. Which I think is a great idea! 

• Yes the jumper thing at Royal Parks was fab, Marks & Spencers 'shwopping' people collected all the discarded jumpers and recycled them inlcuding to Oxfam. However it was SUCH a glorious autumn day (sunlight, parks, trees, gold, red, orange, say no more) and not cold at all so looks like you Run 2 the Beat folks will need your jumpers more than we did. Hope the rain stays off - that's no fun. Take your binbag ponchos. Best of luck peeps! 

• i get hot easily but today was cold ...not that i ran.

do you think one long sleeved base layer with short sleeve race shirt will be ok once moving. More worried about getting too hot!
  • Still waiting for my race results, but I think if my sums are correct I did it in about 2hrs 5 minutes. Which considering what set backs I have gone though I am quite happy with.

The race itself was great, it was the least crowded central London race I have ever done, I only had one runner stop right in front of me, which nearly made me crash into him (!) and there was also room to run past people, even from the start.

I only have 2 gripes, one (as always) lack of toilets, queuing for half an hour isn't on. Also at the end, it was a real fight to get away from the start line as family / friends (hundreds of them!) where making their way to meet people. It took me about 20 minutes to get through the crowd...the priority seemed to be against the runners.

Weirdly there was no goody bag, not that I am that fussed, but it seemed strange that's all!

I would do it next year but it will be around the same time as a marathon I am looking forward to but I will more than likely do it again.

• I enjoyed the race itself, however am slightly confused as have just seen my official race time online - 20 minutes slower than my Nike+ App timing, showing a complete collapse in my pace for the last 3m.  Anyone else seeing inaccurate results?  I'm really disappointed as have been training for this for months, and smashed my personal best, but for some reason this hasn't been recorded correctly.  Is it just me?

• No my time is out by about 8 minutes!  I crossed the start line 22 minutes after the race started, I crossed the finish line at 2hrs 26mins - but my chip time says I did it in 2hrs 13 mins 55secs - This just doesn't add up! Which is a shame as I would like a proper time. I didn't look at the secs when I crossed the line so can't work it out for my self.

• ??

My time seems to be spot on - did it in 02:08:58 according to Garmin - but due to not concentrating forgot to make sure that it was set to press start so had to fiddle for about 30 secs after passing the start line. hence my actual time was 02:09:24.

• It's a bit strange.  I have emailed the organisers to see if I can get an explanation.  A couple of minutes I could understand I might have miscalculated, but there is just no way I got my time wrong by 20 minutes.  I also made sure I crossed the mats at start and finish so not sure what could have gone wrong...

It's quite annoying as it makes me feel like a bit of a fraud - I'll be telling people my time was X, and they can search the RTTB website and see that it's "actually" Y - which makes me look like a liar!