Silverstone HM 3rd March 2013

Had an email to say entries are now open for next years Silverstone HM for anyone interested image

I am in image

Comments

• Thanks for posting this.  I'm a massive F1 fan and have really wanted to do this one - you've beat my google alert for entries!  Have entered now as my preparation for the Brighton Marathon!  Can't wait! Thanks image

• Entry price has gone up 25%  . Still very reasonable

• I'm in and have a place. This one and the Bacchus half on September 9th are my first runs since school in 1985. OMG
  • No problem Katie glad to help image

Steve - this was my first ever HM since I started road running 10 months ago image you will love it image

• Hi

Just had a look at website with a view to entering

£20 entry very reasonableimage

I expect it fills up quite quickly so entry going in todayimage

• ive done this for 3 years now, its a pretty flat and fast race and every year i sign up hoping for a PB, and every year i get a minor injury leading up to it, last 2 years were not even related to running (someone slammed a car door on my knee and chipped my kneecap this year image ) its a great race for motorsport fans, as a huge F1 fan it a fav course for me, i run every apex and line image, i guess if you dont like motorsport its pretty boring though.

• I'm doing it for the motorsport angle but also coz it's a cool place to name drop that you've done a race at! I'm doing the Bacchus half marathon in Surrey in Sept. That one is a fancy dress one with wine stops all the way round. I want to run the whole way at Silverstone though. Hoping to get down to 14st before March too
  • Raced there a couple of weeks ago also, it was the first race in the East Midlands Grand Prix Series, a 10K twice round the old track image I did find the long straights a tad boring so maybe have to take the ipod for the HM next year image

I live just down the road so stupid to not do all the races there really

Marc - hope you have some good luck next year image

• Thanks for reminding me, I'll b doing this again I loved it, I also want to do bacchus half so glad I won't b on my own, yes the wine stops were the draw, what can I sayimage
  • If you enter the Bacchus, let me know. I'll post my race number on here as soon as I know it. Start training in earnest next week
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Always pop into the Silverstone half thread, as I did it 4 times between 04, and 08. At that time, it was my yearly "Must do" half.

However, Wokingham has kinda become that now, being a higher quality field, arguably faster course,  less windy, and a little closer.

There is something big time about Silverstone though...definitely one that I file under "will do again one day".

For one thing, I'd like to actually race it having lined up in the correct position on the grid, rather than starting in the 1hr 45 section, despite never racing it slower than 1hr 31.

Would like to see if a clear run would give a better result, then that mad packed adrenaline overtaking spree for a mile image

• I hope the weather is cooler for next years, it was a tad to warm for me this year image

A couple of you mention Bacchus image will have a search and see what thats all about

• I'm wondering about this one. done it twice, knocked 20 minutes off the time on the second attempt. but I'm in the middle of a monumental post marathon slump - have hardly run in 2 months. Can't decide if entering will make me get my shoes on & get out the door, or just increase the guilt that I'm not running. 

It doesn't usually fill up quite yet, though, so maybe I've got some time yet... 

• Stevie - I've also had some hilarious out-of-position fun at silverstone, spending nearly the entire race storming past anyone and everything! And that was only en route to a 1:35! The joys of arriving late. Nothing makes you feel fitter than starting badly out of position. Though starting too far forward can be demoralising!

Being a F1/ general fast driving nut, this is a must do each year for me. Being quite possibly the fastest half marathon (wind allowing) in the country is also quite a draw!

• Helen - you have talked yourself into it image you know you want to image hehe

• Hi guys - I've just entered this race after trying to decide between Silverstone and Milton Keynes. I only live 4 miles from Silverstone so am very close to both. 

I haven't run for ages and need some inspiration / motivation and nothing like this looming to get me into gear. I did run it in 2010 as my first half and finished in 2:06 but was dying by mile 10 as I went off way too fast. I might try and run with one of the pacing groups this time to keep me consistent. Has anyone tried this before?

• jollie - I tried to follow the 2 hr pacer at one stage but couldnt keep up image finished in 2.22 but it was my first HM image

Cant believe how quick its coming round again image

• Do they have pace runners then? Is there someone doing fat and slow pace image
  • Steve - they have a sub 2:30 pacer.
  • I'll have to give sub 2.30 a go. Hope to get down to that sorta time before March. Hopefully five or six HM's between now and March, starting at Stroud two weeks Sunday
  • I'm looking to enter this but don't really want to shell out the entry fee just yet.  Does it get full?  If so how long should I leave it before entering? 

• It's normally full by about Xmas so don't leave it too long if you want a place
  • jollie32 wrote (see)
    It's normally full by about Xmas so don't leave it too long if you want a place

Thanks for that.  I'll sort my entry out in the next few weeks.

• It is very well organised and the support is fantastic - the only negative is the scenery is a bit boring with just the race track and service roads surrounding it. Organisation though and amount running do take your mind of that.
  • yes ipods are allowed for this race

Andrew, dont leave it too long, as now that the London Marathon places have been given out this is the first HM they recommend people to do as its a good half way point so it tends to fill up pretty quickly, my friend missed out last year and that was before christmas

I loved this race as you see lots of fancy dress too, cos of London, infact i even remembered some of them when i did london and said hello to them again

didnt realise there was a pacer, probably cos we had a nightmare getting there this year as the person driving lost his wallet at the services which made us really late, the race starts at midday and we actually didnt arrive til 12.15 so just had to run to start and get straight on with it 

traffic is awful so aim to get there early 

its a very enjoyable race and good support and well organised

• I arrived at this years at a reasonable time so was ok, but oh my days what a nightmare getting out image next year I shall rethink just where I park

Looking forward to it though image

• I went the back way to get outimage  need to know where you're going but after spectating for the last 2 years and running it finally last year, i've found a way out that beats the trafficimage

• Isee)

yes ipods are allowed for this race

Andrew, dont leave it too long, as now that the London Marathon places have been given out this is the first HM they recommend people to do as its a good half way point so it tends to fill up pretty quickly, my friend missed out last year and that was before christmas

I loved this race as you see lots of fancy dress too, cos of London, infact i even remembered some of them when i did london and said hello to them again

didnt realise there was a pacer, probably cos we had a nightmare getting there this year as the person driving lost his wallet at the services which made us really late, the race starts at midday and we actually didnt arrive til 12.15 so just had to run to start and get straight on with it 

traffic is awful so aim to get there early 

its a very enjoyable race and good support and well organised

Thanks for that. Entry submitted and accepted image

I think I'll have some queries about where's best to get dropped off before the event but will save those until nearer the time!