Luton Marathon

Luton may not be thought of in the same light as the Valencia Marathon in November but as British we are born to run in the colder climes. We should have more marathons in this country in the Autumn/Winter months for variety and it will also mean that threads loke this are here for like minded runners to chat in those months.

Comments

• Hey BP I am doing the Luton Marathon as my "B" Marathon this year.  Hope to hear from you and others who are also running.

• Hey peeps im also doing it! Its my first one, kinda worried about the 5 hour cut off! Any ideas on the elelvation over the lap?

• Back2basics - good to see you attempting your first Marathon you will love it and don't panic about the time do the training and you will be fine. No not to sure about the elevation as the map link is not great but it does not look a flat one but also not a hilly one. I don't normally do multiple lap races as you know what is coming but this is an exception and we will have to see

Jolyon Bland - yes it is my 'B' Marathon as well as did Manchester in April - first time I have done one in November so although putting the training in not sure how it will go

• Hi all, I'm up for Luton too - did it last year and need to go back and do it properly!

See the profile from my GPS log from last year - before passing out when imagining those fearful peaks, pls note that the actual height gain on them is not great - total ascent for the lot for me was 390 odd metres

Saying that, you can see from my pace that I crashed and burned big time in the last few miles so make sure you run first 2 laps easy

/members/images/457781/Gallery/rt20111120-100002_Luton_chart.png

• Thanks Juggling - did a course trace on Garmin Connect for a lap and actually the inclines are not steep although the main one each lap does go on for a mile but it is only 100 feet in that mile so basically just a long incline. Whether I could still say that on lap 3 is a different issue. It certainly looks like a course where pacing will be paramount
  • Hi guys, I am also doing the luton marathon and I am really looking forward to the challenge... 

Back2basics - I have never done the LM but got tod to add a hill workout once week and some decent inclines half way through your long runs. I also got told that  its not as bad as it looks... 

good luck to everyone, train hard and train safe image

• Another trick everyone - as it is a lapped race when you doing your long 20/22's milers don't do an out and back etc but split it into 3 as this will get you used to knowing what is coming when you are tired - also try to put a long incline in on each lap just like Luton - 90% of a Marathon is in head try and get your head in right gear

• Thanks guys, and thanks for the elevation Juggling, yeah thats not really bad at all!

My 13 mile route is a really hilly one so I should be good to go! image

• I thought was well organised last year and liked the free massage at the end, I Really needed this as legs were trashed. Was pretty friendly too. Course goes out in to the countryside which I enjoyed and fair bit of support along route through start/finish area
  • Thanks Jugglingjunky, would you or anyone else who has previously done the course be able to tell me how far each aid station is from one another and what they serve up?

• Hi all - the link below should show an elevation picture for 1 lap of the Luton Marathon. I basically traced the route on Garmin Connect so it won't be absolutely spot on but will be near as damn it.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2203283#.UG6-P32kv6E.email

• First 20 miler at weekend in Luton Training Schedule - have got a 3 lap circuit sorted out with 2 mile incline in it (not steep) but enough to think about each time I finish a circuit. Been my longest mileage week since end of Manchester training so will need to see how I feel after weekend 20 miler. Next week less miles with a 1/2 race (Maidstone Half) on the Sunday. From then on it is a 20 and 22 miler on the weekends and then that dearly beloved taper. I do like to dream!!!

• Hey guys, just a quick question...I just went to the Luton Marathon wesite and the say they strongly advise NOT to wear headsts...now does this mean that I CANT wear earphones or they just dont think its a great idea?!

Has anyone ever had any problems with officals by wearing earphones?

• Back2Basics - I have seen someone get a severe ticking off twice for headsets but that is not that often. It would say do not wear if it meant it. Only thing I would say is course does take you along busy A6 for a part and also country roads that will have vehicles on them so if you can get by without music do so.
  • Ah man I have a whole cadence playlist set up...might just try one earphone and see if I can blag it lol! Most of my training has been to music and I've got really used to knowing my surroundings with music still going....I think I may have some serious pacing problems without it!
  • I'm in for this one, just entered.

Just hoping for the sound of success and getting under 4 hours, or should that be the sweet smell of success. However, on the day I'll probably not be fussed after 26.2 miles.

No ipod for me, may just try to talk to the next runner to take my mind off the pain, so you have been warned.

• Happy Wanderer - no one good will mind you talking to them and great to hear you entered. Enjoy
  • I certainly will enjoy the day, Luton will be my sixth marathon, it's addictive this marathon lark.

• Bugger bugger bugger - went out to do a 20 miler today and my calf has gone. Looking like will not be at Luton now, had this injury before and it will take about 3 weeks to heal so would be going into marathon with only 1 20 mile run under belt. Although I know I could do a 4:10 marathon on back of that I don't know whether I want to do that.
  • Sorry about your injury, always a bugger at this stage of prep. Recover well for the next one.

• Hi all,

If anyone has entry to this race that they no longer need I would be happy to take it off your hands!

Thanks

Garch

• Hello everyone, glad to hear that you're all looking forward to the race (sorry to hear of your injury BP).

The course isn't hilly, but it is undulating on the rural section. The longest drag is up through Streatley to the first water station. There are three water stations on each lap, approximtely three miles apart. They will all have water and High 5 energy drink.

As already mentioned, part of the course is on rural roads, which will also be used by traffic - that's the reason that headphones aren't a good idea.

Look forward to seeing you all on the day (I'll be in one of the white vans driving round and round, so give me a wave).

• Super shins - did a 22 miler on Sunday so will be there calf ok now
  • BP- good news

Did a 20.5 miler on Sunday pleased with that, a good hilly 1/3 marathon race in the North West, next Sunday, then it will be easing down for Luton.

• Hi everyone,

Can anybody help a friend of mine?  She's been training for Luton, and thought she'd booked her place weeks ago.  However.... after just checking the entry list, it turns out she's not on it, and it looks like she didn't actually book her place after all.  And it's now sold out..... Needless to say she's gutted - this is her first marathon and a major feat for her.

Does anyone happen to have a place that they're not going to be able to use, that she could have?  She'd be so grateful.... she's booked accommodation, just not the race!

Any help would be most appreciated,

cheers!  image

• halhal_girl,

I seem to remember that in previous years they have accepted "one man" relay teams. It might be worth emailing them to ask as there still places for relay teams available.

• halhal_girl

You can have my place if the RD (Elaine Harris) is ok about transferring to your name. They only posted out the bib numbers this year and you collect your chip on the morning of the race, so I guess she might be able to change the name.

I ran it in 2009 and they accepted me as a 'one man' relay team as it was sold out.

• Thank you Mr Whizz and The Lazy Greyhound for your replies.

My friend has actually decided not to run after all - she's going to do Gloucester in January instead, which she has definitely entered & paid for!  She also feels she'll be better prepared by then.

Thanks again for your help!

• Finished my last serious run last night - now it is just going out when feel like it in next few days at a really slow pace and nothing more than 10 miles.

Hope everybody else is fit for next week.

• Hopefully fit, bit of a cold, better this week than next.

Last serious run was last Sunday,up North, Through the Villages race 8.4 miles, a tad over 70 mins, tough,hilly and cold but a great race.

I've never raced(run) so far South, what with passports,language barriers and what to wear in such sunny climes,decisions!!! but looking forward to it.