Marathon plans for 2013

Comments

• thats the same day as Silverstone image

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

San Domenico 20  miler in Merythr Tydfil is great, few hills thrown in but great prep, always run as spring marathon training and will do again next year (think its the 24/3).  Rhayader Round the Lakes 20 miler is another great low key run (think its the week before San Dom), but has one major hill at the start of the race but worth it for the views!

VLM in April and then toying with Berlin (in case I don't run my target at London this year) or Loch Ness which sounds lovely.  Little matter of Snowdonia on saturday to get out the way first.........

• can you point me in the right direction of websites to have a nose at them Laudy? 

do u know if any of them have medals hahaha i'm such a medal hoarder lol

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

http://www.sd20.org.uk/

http://www.rhayaderac.org.uk/

Neither have medals, both are low key (i.e. water in cups not bottles, limited crowd support, no road closures), both are very well organised by their respective clubs.  SD20 you do get a nice tech T shirt.  If thats your thing then they are definitely worth a run, both in the calendar for me so long as the dates don't clash this year was perfectimage

• I cant see anything what date the rhayaderac 20mile road race is image  the sd20 one looks good

there is also a stafford 20mile road race but again I can only find stuff out from last year ( or should i say this year ) and nothing for 2013 :-/

• Hi geegee - hanks.  I'm hoping Portsmouth is flat.

Not sure when to sign-up for Berlin but apparently the spaces go v quickly so i'll have to get a spreadsheet out and make a note of the date image

• Hello! I have to work my runs around childcare (severe lack of it, so have work around my parents or my husband has to take time off work!) But this is what I have planned in 2013

March - Silverstone Half
    May - Milton Keynes Marathon
    October - Spires to Steeples 26 challenge (passes the end of my parents road....childcare sorted!) 

Will squeeze in a couple of 10k's as well, more than likely the Woodhall Spa 10K

• Confession time - I have a spreasheet too.image

I'm not an accountant, but a PM like Emmy_H.  But I have a list of all the races I've done with times, dates etc

On another page there's a list of events I'd like to do....I'll stop now.

I'll get me coat.............

• andyp wrote (see)

I've a marathon to come for 2012 - Portsmouth Coastal.

Same here, though I'm only 90% sold on the idea at the moment.

Next year I'm planning on doing the Southdown Way in June and purely because it's local Stevenage in July.

I'm looking for something to do April/May time and possibly a late Autumn one as well.

• Good to hear positive things about Dublin geegee. Ah it's a bank holiday that explains.

• Do they serve Guinness at the drink stations too?image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome to the insane club andypimage I'm the same. I also colour code dependent upon the race (marathon/half marathon/10km etc) image

• It's funny Emmy_H - I also use RAG codes for whether I'm on/off track for my personal targets for the year!!image

• I down load all my Garmin training splits to a CSV file and then calculate weighted average adjusted for elevation. After that I set my targets using a positive standard deviation methodology ( joking of course) I am trying to factor in wind resistance but I look stupid running with a wind sock on my head!! image

Julia - is that spires and steeples challenge the same as the spires and shires ultra ( I think it is in northamptonshire??) because I was looking at that last year

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Geegee - You're just jealous 'cause we're so organised image Saying that... I just registered for Berlin marathon and it was a very efficient experience. I swear, living in germany turned me german!

• Emmy  unfortunately I saw the Berlin marathon forum at about 4pm yesterday and sat reading how you all signed up in a minute felling pretty gutted, but saying that 10,000 people signing up in a minute

• you would have to be some kind of project manager to  be so organised not to miss that

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It was utterly incredible. I was reading the updates on facebook from the organisers.

10,000 gone in under a minute
    20,000 gone in less than an hour
    40,000 gone in 3 1/2 hours.

I admit - i invited myself to a meeting and called it DND (do not disturb) to make sure that i got in on time image

There's still a possibility to get a place - it's after the rest of the people have paid/fully registered

• After I ran my first marathon, London, in 1998, I said 'never again'. I was prevailed upon to run Abingdon this year and rather enjoyed it, so I might target one, maybe two next year. I have a friend who can put me up in Ljbuljana (that's Slovenia, for those that don't know) and they have an October marathon, so I might just go for that one.

• Majorca's a nice event.  I ran in Oct 2010 (the half not the full) and luckily the weather was nice enough to enjoy a week away too.

• Hi, I plan to run my first marathon in spring 2013. I have run many other shorter events including half marathons.

I missed out on VLM but am looking for a marathon in April. My thoughts so far are either Manchester, Rotterdam or Antwerp. They all have various pros and cons for me, but i'd love to hear others views. Also does anyone know if the Antwerp marathon has a loop (something I wish to avoid) - the course map is 'coming soon'.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Joanna,

Great plan for Antwerp... i signed up as well. It's my "hometown" marathon as I live 20 mins from there. If it's the same route as last year (and normally there's only a few changes) - it'll look like this: http://www.garmin.be/Parcours/Antwerp10Miles/fullscreen-marathon.html

In case you cant open it - its below:

/members/images/334358/Gallery/antwerp_marathon.jpg

Has anyone done Gloucester here? Would they recommend it?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Here's the route:

Thonetlaan (at the zebrapad 1ste building, Beatrijslaan until the Abrahan Verhoevenlaan, 180° turnaorund), Beatrijslaan, (R) Blancefloerlaan (Km 1), (R) Halewijnlaan, (R) Charles De Costerlaan (Km 2), Waaslandtunnel, (Km 3 & Km 4), (R) Tunnelplaats, (R) Ankerrui, (R) Oude Leeuwenrui, Brouwersvliet (Km 5), (L) Ortheliuskaai, Jordaenskaai, Ernest Van Dijckkaai, (Km 6) Plantinkaai, St. Michielskaai, Cockerillkaai, (Km 7), De Gerlachekaai, (L) Namenstraat, Jan Van Gentstraat, Bolivarplaats, (Km 8), Singel, (tegen de richting), (R) Kolonel Silvertoplaan, (Km 9), Emiel Vloorstraat, (Km 10), (L) Hendriklei, (R) Weerstandslaan, (Km 11), Steynstraat (Km 12) Antwerpse Steenweg, (R) Louisalei (Km 13) (L) Cockerillplaats, Jozef Leemanslaan (Km 14), (L) Krijgsbaan (Km 15), R 11 (Km 16), (L) Valaardreef (Km 17), (R) Bosheidelaan, (R) Berkenrijslaan, Dr Veeckmanlaan, (Km 18), (R) Heistraat, Bist, (R) Doornstraat, (L) Kerkeveldstraat, (Km 20) (L) Alfons Wellenslaan, (R) St. Bavostraat, (Km 21 ), (L) Schaliënmolenstraat Vaderlandstraat, (PAALTJES), Jules Moretuslei, R 11, (R) Groenenborgerlaan, (Km 22), Ringlaan, (Km 23) Fruithoflaan, (L) Berchemboslaan (Km 24), Rooiplein, Filip Williotstraar, (R) Berchem Stadionstraat (Km 25), (L) Roderveldlaan, (R) Arbeidersstraat, Edelgesteentestraat (Km 26), (R) Lode Van Berckenlaan, (L) Lanteernhofstraat, (Km 27), (L) Boekenberglei, (R) Drakenhoflei, (L) Unitaslaan, (Km 28), (L) Eksterlaar, (R) St. Rochusstraat,(km 29), L) Korte St. Rochusstraat, (R) Gabriël Vervoortstraat, Dr Romain De Velstraat, Van Havrelei, (Km 30), (R) Te Boelaarlei, Morckhovelei, Kerkendijk, (km 31), (R) Griffier Schrobbelaan, Collegelaan, (R) Wouter Haecklaan, (km 32) (L) Sterckxhoflei, (R) Rivierenhof (Km 33), (L) Parkweg (Km 34 & Km 35) Tunnel Fietspad, Turnhoutsebaan, (R) Binnensingel Noord, (Km 36 & Km 37), Slachthuislaan (Km 38 tegen de richting), (L) Maasstraat, (L) Lange Lobroekstraat, Damplein, (R) Viaduct Dam,(Km 39) Spoor Noord, (L) Kempenstraat, Binnenvaartstraat, (L) Italiëlei, (R) Koeikensgracht / Zwedenstraat, (R) Oude Leeuwenrui (Km 41), Brouwersvliet, (L) Ortheliuskaai, Jordaenskaai, Ernest Van Dijckkaai, (L) Suikerrui,(km 42) (L) Grote Markt

• *Ahem*

I was planning on a 'quiet' year with around 20 Marathons.

• Jan - Enigma
    • Feb - Belvoir
    • Mar - Charnwood & Broadmeadow
    • Apr - ???
    • May - North Yorks CTS, Rhondda Rollercoaster, Clun, Howgills
    • June  - Kent, Shap & Coombe Abbey
    • Jul - White Peak Walk & Wenlock 50
    • Aug - Sandwell Six Towns
    • Sep - Wistanstow
    • Oct - Rivington or Where Raven's Dare or Long Mynd Hike and maybe BH
    • Nov - Spooky Challenge & Maybe Steppingly Step
    • Dec - Broadmeadow & Sunrise to Sunset

So not too badly congested after May & June image

Although, quite a few will be as a Walker or a slow jog / walk.

• Jan Gloucester

Feb Born to run ultra

Mar Rome

Apr Manchester or Sunderland

May Dukeries ultra

Jun The Wall

So far .....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@EKGO - have you run Gloucester before? what is the course like?

I've added in Frankfurt marathon on 27th October... image

• Gloucester was a good run it was a run from the start to a country lane loop of about 7.5 miles that you complete 3 times, some hills but no killers, and quite a friendly run, the finish took you a little around the houses but I am doing it again so can't be too bad.

Later on in the year I'll add some more, if the dates fall right I might be able to do Loch Ness, Chester and Liverpool on consecutive weeks, you only have to build up and taper the once then.

• @ EKGO I believe the dates fall right for LN, Chester & Liverpool.

The dates have all been announced, and are on consecutive weekends.

• Good news would have tried it this year but for injury, managed the first two but the last was not possible. Still the first two would be the preferred
  • I did Loch Ness as well.

Absolutely loved it (my second time), but couldn't afford to do it every year, unless I bin some of the other events.

Maybe for my 100th image