Could I ever enjoy running?!

I have never been a runner; I hate getting out of breath ad sweaty, and I am also knock kneed, pigeon toed AND have a low arch (which I have orthotics for but I can barely walk in them, let alone run!). So I was always a swimmer. However, after dying my hair blonde and then having an unfortunate mishap with either the chlorine or the sauna which caused it to go bright orange, I thought I'd give running a go.

And I still hate it! However, I never managed to complete the 'mile challenge' at school and so at 25, that is something I would like to achieve.

I downloaded the c25k app today and did day one... man oh man, running is a very different type of fitness compared to swimming! I was knackered! But I shall soldier on; I'd love to be one of those show offs who posts their Nike+ runs on Facebookimage

So are there any runners out there who started out hating it but came to love it, or at least hate it a little bit less? 

Comments

• I have the nike+ app aswell, I love showing of.

I listen to music when I'm on a long run, but I mostly do speed work for athletics, which is very tough and hard. If you know anyone who might go with you aswell, you should ask them.
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I got into running after a mountain bike accident, after about a month of not being able to ride I thought I'd start running to maintain my fitness. Despite thinking I was fit due to years of cycling, I really suffered and it took me several weeks of really struggling before I managed to run a 2.5mile route without stopping.  I didn't intend to keep running - I just wanted to see if I could run a 5 mile loop without stopping, then a 10k race, then a half-marathon, then I spent a while improving my times for 10ks etc ... etc ...

In the last two years, I don't think I've ridden my mountain bike and have very rarely used my road bike.  

There is a good chance you will get that "eureka" moment where suddenly it all starts to fall into place and you feel that you are running gracefully rather than fighting to move forward (although, in my case, any onlookers may just see a red-faced, sweaty bloke who looked like he was continually stumbling over an imaginary sheep!).  Then it gets very hard not to spend a lot of your free time planning your runs, and next events etc. 

• The roads are full of runners who hate running. You can spot them because they have music on and Nike+ devices. They think by having a few toys and listening to music they can forget they hate running.

You wouldn't wear an MP3 while making love would you? Ditch the gadgets and learn to love running or stick to swimming with orange hair.
  • I love running and I listen to music, and Nike+ is a great motivator to get you going and to challenge yourself.
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

You wouldn't wear an MP3 while making love would you? 

/Makes note for next time.

• Ian M wrote (see)

Running = fundamentally solo activity even if running with others therefore headphones appropriate in certain circumstances

Making love = not fundamentally solo activity therefore headphones inappropriate.

Mind you following from Sussex Runner logic if you hate making love then you could wear headphones to transmit this message to your partner to save an awkaward conversation! I can see this solution in the problem pages already.

• Crimson wrote (see)
    Ian M wrote (see)

Mind you following from Sussex Runner logic if you hate making love then you could wear headphones to transmit this message to your partner to save an awkaward conversation! I can see this solution in the problem pages already.

LOL

• Running is not a solo activity. Ever heard of running clubs, training partners, or race?

Lol/Craig why did you do all that quoting for no apparent reason?
  • Not very good at quoting on this, lol

• I am the kind of person who kind of likes to work out alone as I find it great for clearing my head.

That said, I have just discovered the Zombies, Run! 5k Training app which I think could really help me to enjoy it!

• I covered that Sussex Runner by saying even if running with others it is still fundamentally a solo activity!
  • Fundamentally - it isn't. It might be in your case Billy but the majority of people run with others. So fundamentally it isn't.

What do you think Lol/Craig?
  • I run by myself in the mornings, it's only because I can't be bothered with meeting up at 6am, it'll waste time that I don't have. But at night I will run with someone and I'm joining an athletic club. I obviously don't listen to music and use the nike+ with friends lol
  • Well it isn't often I disagree with la fille verte but I find I pass more solo runners while driving to my club than there are runners in the group most nights.

Nikki give it a go for a few weeks, don't push too hard and see how you feel, if you don't like it, don't do it, life's to short.
  • Yeah, you should give track and field events a go for running. I do 100m, 200m and long jump. You should enjoy them and find them exciting. I love the thrill from competing!
  • Senor Puffy - would you then agree that fundamentally running is a lonesome pastime?
  • Life's to short that death is to long?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

So which of the major city marathons have you entered now you have started running? You've downloaded the app, you have your music, but what about your gait analysis and gels, a drink belt a must, and of course if you pronate, a biomechanical illness.

🙂

• I don't know why we're talking about life and death, it's running. You're not going to have to make that choice. lol, Just try things that can be fun, you said you're a swimmer, have you ever thought about a triathlon? You've already got swimming, you just need to improve on running and cycling. 

• Well if the OP doesn't like running now she's hardly likely to love it after a swim and a bike ride is she?

• But she might find it better when her swimming can come in use and her exercise regime is built around the 3 of them.
  • I love running... I sometimes do it listening to music and sometimes I even use my  Nike + app. (oh shock horror how terrible of me) I don't see why there is so much snootieness about what people choose to do when they run, whether they do it alone or with others.....who cares? I don't really care what people do when they run (or make love for that matter) and wouldn't be so presumptuous to assume that if they have their music on they must be hating their run.

Running is different for everyone, run and let run I say.

Nikki, I used to hate running too and never thought I would find enjoyment in amongst the sweat and effort. I love it now for many reasons and couldn't live without doing it. But that's just me - I think it is a very personal journey and I am sure in time it will become clear as to whether or not this is something you would like to persue. Good luck image

• Exactly! I think using music and Nike+ makes longer runs more enjoyable image