Medals or no medals?

Comments

• Bupa events are always top quality.done great north and great birmingham this year and will keep doin more.even the medal and goody bag from great south 5k i got a couple hours ago is brilliant.hope great south main run tomorrow keeps standards high
  • I suppose we are all different in what we like, I like medals and momento's but never wear the T-shirts that I am given. I keep them but dont quite know what I am saving them for?

I did the Gurkha Trailwalker this year, 62 miles and its now my favourite medal by far!

I did the mini great south run with my 6 year old today, he has 6 medals now and loves taking them into school for a show and tell. All of his medals are up and displayed in the front room image   

• A lot depends upon the type of event. 

If you are running the local 10k, then you might prefer that they don't give you a medal and reduce the entry fee by £5.00.

If you complete an event such as the Lakeland 100 or the GUCR, then you are going to want some sort of memento recognising the accomplishment, and it might be among your most treasured possessions. 

• I like medals, but I was v impressed with the memento given out at the Tadley 10 a couple of weeks ago.  It was a glass block, with a hologram of a couple of runners.  I have a running trophy now!!image

• While I wouldn't say that I take part in an event purely for a medal, I do still treasure all of mine. I got a medal for the first 'official' run which I took part in - it was only a 5k but I was inordinately proud of that medal as to me 5k had seemed like a huge achievement. Now I have a full marathon medal and am ridiculously proud of that. I look upon the medals I now have with pride and they all have sentimental value - but maybe I'm just a bit too sentimental!

If medals were only given out to those who got below a certain time then that would very unfair to all those who trained very hard and didn't get below a certain time. I would have been very disappointed if I had not got a medal for my marathon purely because I had taken longer than 4 hours to run it. Shallow maybe, but I am pleased to have a memento to remember the occasion by!

• Tadley 10k medal sounds awesome.very jealous!great south and great south 5k were run at weekend and both different looking and great.a medal for a 5k is awesome!
  • I've been running about 3 years and have done about 30 races. All have had medals, except one, and I love them all. I have them all on display so that whenever I see them I am reminded of all the hard work and dedication I've put in to this sport. I keep my numbers too. I don't care if the medal has cost 2p to make, for me it's what the medal represents: training, signing up, turning up and successfully completing the race.
  • Yep i agree with you mr duffy.even duplicate medals are fine if thetes a different date and event name on the medal or ribbon.i got my 32nd medal at great south oyesterday so thats 25 for this year.im on a mission!
  • Sarahson wrote (see)

What about some pictures of the medals people have collected? 

look at my avatar pic for my haud of medals although i may have to update it as i've done about 5 more races since i took that picimage

• /members/images/518389/Gallery/medal.jpg

here are my medals, also some trophies which are my husbands. But the shoe was from the victory 5, something different!

• I don't see why the top 25% should get medals over anyone else. I ran my first ever half this weekend, I finished in the final 300 people... but I ran every step of the way whilst others walked, and although it took me 3 hours, I damn deserved that medal!! Also, I was on my feet for far longer than those who ran it in sub 2 hours, so really I deserved it more than they did image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rachel Dixon 8 wrote (see)

I don't see why the top 25% should get medals over anyone else. I ran my first ever half this weekend, I finished in the final 300 people... but I ran every step of the way whilst others walked, and although it took me 3 hours, I damn deserved that medal!! Also, I was on my feet for far longer than those who ran it in sub 2 hours, so really I deserved it more than they did image

Maybe they should give the last over the line a prize because they've had to be there the longest and fought the hardest?

I'm always humbled at races to see the people after me. I'm slow (4.55 marathoner) and still - when I see someone crossing the line at 6 hours and looking like every step is killing them - i'm amazed at the depth of motivation.

• Emmy_H wrote (see)
    Rachel Dixon 8 wrote (see)

I don't see why the top 25% should get medals over anyone else. I ran my first ever half this weekend, I finished in the final 300 people... but I ran every step of the way whilst others walked, and although it took me 3 hours, I damn deserved that medal!! Also, I was on my feet for far longer than those who ran it in sub 2 hours, so really I deserved it more than they did image

Maybe they should give the last over the line a prize because they've had to be there the longest and fought the hardest?

I'm always humbled at races to see the people after me. I'm slow (4.55 marathoner) and still - when I see someone crossing the line at 6 hours and looking like every step is killing them - i'm amazed at the depth of motivation.

Call me old fashioned, but I do tend to wonder why folk still want to do it when it cases them so much grief - i'm sure other sports have a higher % of participants who actually enjoy the sport! ...still appluad them mind.

Medals are pointless - least give us something we can use..mug, water bottle, hat, t-shirt. Had a great goody bag from the Thame 10k years ago with lots of cleaning stuff that lasted ages. Also 'crap' t-shirts are great, you can actually wear them running as they tend to be thin.

My dad's mate doles out bottles of sparkling wine at the end of the Poole round the lakes 10k on boxing day. Top goody bag, that image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For me - i look at it as they've chosen to do it and chosen to get their asses off the couch. I always think of the saying: you can choose if you want to be the lion or the mouse today - which do you choose?

I think everyone that steps up to a start line is a lion and deserves that recognition for trying, for putting in the training effort and for being 'a part of it'... whether they are slow or fast.

• Hear, hear Emmy - 100% agree. image

• love the pic Zoe, how did u get your medals all lined up, have  you got hooks in the wall?

Emmy_H  i am slow, my fastest marathon to date is 5hours 12 and i consider myself a 6hour marathoner, and I remember my club encouraging me that just cos i'm slow doesnt mean to say that I am any less deserving of getting a medal or getting the recognition of completing a marathon as I have been on my feet longer

I love my medals and recently i had someone come to my house and asked who the athlete was ( as all my medals are hung on a picture frame ) I cant tell you how good that made me feel hahahaha

i also love sharing a new medal with my children too, as they love to see my new shiny medal when i get home which means they can share in my love of running too

• imageI have them on a bit of baton which is balanced on the photo

• ah may have to go and search for a baton lol, it looks really effective!!

• is muttley out there?can he post some of his medals individually or list runs that have medals if at all pos?cheers!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Grr.... i lost my last post... fecking TWICE - lets try something different

i love medals - i agree. A friends son always asks: did you win today mummy and she always replies: i won my race today. That's the best that you can get.

Greasy - have a look at the race organisers website for info about medals

• its nice to have a medal, i have hundreds and love to look at them and remind myself of the races i took part in.

• if anyones loking at anyraces with medals then these are the ones iv found that do.i only run races with medals-i can buy mugs, food and drink at tesco!

paris marathon, great west run, plymouth h/m, totnes 10k, torbay h/m, dartmoor vale h/m (and also the 10k and marathon-but all the medals are same design), bath h/m, sports relief mile, taunton h/m, crediton crunch 10k, ottery 10k, british 10k, colyton rebel run, indian queens h/m, exeter 10k, forest flyer 5, torbay 10k, lustleigh 10k, great scottish run, great north run, bristol h/m, new forest h/m, teign valley toddle, plymouth 10k, sourton scramble, cardiff h/m, great birmingham run, great south run, great south 5k and newton abbot carnival run.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Someone's already mentioned this site, which I've saved as a favourite:

http://www.running-memories.co.uk/standard-designs/my-race-bling-medal-display/ 

• Nykie thanks so much I am going to have to get one of those, i have to get the race bling one as I always call my medals my bling lol

Greasygringo thanks for all those races I've penciled the Great west run in already

Also races that do medals :- Coventry HM, Blackminster HM, Silverstone HM, Lydd HM, Gayton 10k, Telford 10k, Ironbridge HM, Cannock Rotary 10k, Much Wenlock Road Race, Wolverhampton HM, Bacchus HM ( my favourite medal to date ) 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Nykie wrote (see)

Excellent - thank you so much ... and Crimble is on its way ...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Zoe Windsor wrote (see)
    /members/images/518389/Gallery/medal.jpg

here are my medals, also some trophies which are my husbands. But the shoe was from the victory 5, something different!

The Victory 5 shoe was an excellent momento. I think i actually prefer momentos to medals these days, unless the medal is quality, and not one of these identikit cheapo versions

• I like the medal hangers - I think that'll go on my Christmas List image

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I've had the thought that I'd just get a big clear vase and, when I got enough medals, I'd just drop them all in. That would look quite cool, but I am veering towards those more and more every time I look at them...

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)
    Nykie wrote (see)

Excellent - thank you so much ... and Crimble is on its way ...

But think how the dog would feel image

• Hi if your local to preston and fancy a half marathon on the 20th of jan 2013 give the inskip half a try you get medal hat and a nice big bar of chocolate covers all bases and also hot pot for every runner.