No television.

13»

Comments

• im saving all those boxed sets for when i (inevitably) break a leg running down a hill.

• I did once watch a load of "family guy" DVDs on my laptop when I had to make two 4.5 hour train journeys every week

• i watched the sopranos when i had a poisoned leg. it was good.

it's like golf. i actually like playing golf, but my dad (who took it up aged 62) says 'save it for when your knees are too buggered to do anything else.

at this rate that'll be when i'm 40.

• Do you need a licence to play golf?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My former Mother-in-law always had the tv on.

If we went round, she would turn the sound down low (but not actually mute it).

It was the worst of all possible options - you couldn't help look at the damn thing, but you couldn't quite hear what was being said.

When I had two weeks off work for an operation, I watched the box sets of Brideshead Revisited, and I, Claudius image

• I can't believe you got rid of your husband because of your MIL's telly habits Wilkie! image

But yes, mine does that too.....At least now she's a deaf old bird she leaves the subtitles on so I get an idea of what's going on! image

• Was on holiday last week in Holland and there was no TV in the caravan. Can't say I missed it. We used to have a woodworrker teacher at school who didn;t have a TV. We all thought he was weird - looking back he was and looked like giant haystacks too.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I can't believe you got rid of your husband because of your MIL's telly habits Wilkie! image

!

That wasn't the only reason. 

There was his refusal to even try on shoes in any size other than a ten.  Not even just to see if they might fit, when they didn't have that shoe in a ten. His reasoning was that HE TOOK A SIZE 10. 

He would ignore and/or dismiss suggestions from me about where to go on holiday, or things to eat, but if someone else suggested that same thing - well then he would think it was a great idea...

Shall I stop there?

• Oh no.... Do go on!

* gets sofa*

This is promising image
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Wilkie wrote (see)

There was his refusal to even try on shoes in any size other than a ten.  Not even just to see if they might fit, when they didn't have that shoe in a ten. His reasoning was that HE TOOK A SIZE 10. 

Shall I stop there?

i don't see what the problem with that is at all.

i am the exact same. i take a size 10 and that is it. if they don't have it there is absolutely no point wasting time trying on a different size. it never has fitted before and i have never had problems with a 10.

men are just more sensible about these things. we don't just try to make it fit because we like them.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If you insist... 

He would criticise my driving (whilst I was driving).  More than once I pulled over, got out and made him drive.

He would ask me a question.  Then a day or two later, ask the same question again.  I'd point out that I'd already told him, but tell him again.  Then a day or two later, the same question again...

He'd swear blind that I hadn't told him things which I had told him: it used to really annoy him that I could say "I told you on Tuesday, while we were at Tesco, you replied that......" image

He would cook himself lunch while I was at work (he was doing a degree as a mature student), even going to the supermarket for supplies if necessary.  When I got home to a kitchen like a bomb site, he would say he hadnt had TIME to clear it up, like I was being so totally unreasonable in thinking he should!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Skotty, I wouldn't suggest that you should have shoes that don't fit but it's a bit, well, pig-headed, to not even consider the possibility.

I have shoes in several different sizes - 7, 7.5. 8, 8.5, which all fit me, because not all makers work to exactly the same size - like clothes.  I have clothes in four different sizes which all fit me.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

men's sizes are a lot more consistent though, especially in shoes.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I've never heard of someone refusing to try a different sized shoe because the one they normally try doesn't fit.  How very bizarre!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

I've never heard of someone refusing to try a different sized shoe because the one they normally try doesn't fit.  How very bizarre!

neither have I.

did anyone say that?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I've read back and it appears that in Wilkie's scenario, the shop didn't have a size 10 in stock, rather than the size 10 didn't fit.  But then he refused to try on any other size to see if it might fit.

OK, I'll revise my comment.  What a stubborn fool.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

ok, i am quite stubborn about this myself but with good reason so far.

if things changed and for some reason i tried on a 10 and it didn't fit, felt too tight or much too big I would try a different size.

then if I found for the first time in my adult life I wasn't a size 10 shoe then i might reconsider next time i was looking for shoes and wouldn't be quite so certain of my actual size. so if they didn't have a size 10 in stock then I might try a different size...

• I don't like the Ex Mr Wilkie...... image

He sounds like he wouldn't treat me like a princess and we all know how hard work I a, image
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i feel sorry for the ex-Mr Wilkie.

but I did long before this thread,

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Fair enough skotty. Your adult feet have served you reliably well.  I can only assume you've never shopped for Adidas track spikes.  image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i thought we were talking about normal walking shoes.

all forms of trainers are completely different and sizes do vary quite a bit.

i do have to try on different sizes and deliberate for quite a while when choosing running shoes.

• i can't believe i just read all that

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

more interesting than television, isn't it?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The ex Mr Wilkie wasn't all bad LB - I wouldn't have married him if he were!

He just had his little ways. 

His shoe fixation applied to all kinds of footwear.  Boots, shoes, trainers, whatever.  If it wasn't a size 10, it wasn't going on his foot!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

what is it they say?

A woman marries a man expecting him to change but he doesn't.

A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change but she does.

• I haven't. I've always been a pain in the arse image