1 stone off by Christmas!

Comments

• Hi there Cybarev image
    It's true that you get quicker with being 'lighter'  (one of my many, many reasons wanting to get rid of the bulge!), I read somewhere that with every lbs you lose, you get 2secs faster per mile and I can most certainly vouch for that as I've put on nearly a stone and my pace has really suffered! Ugh!
    Well done for running Liverpool and I can also sympathise with the extra appetite. I'm usually starving after a long run but have found that if I have a milkshake with some extra seed mix in it as soon as I get in, followed by a banana, I can keep any binging in check image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    mornin all! hiya cybarev, glad to have another onboard. like you I'm trying to ditch a stone to better my performance and endurance but during ultra marathons. for too long I've been carrying excess timber!

sadly no run for me today as I feel like crap. awful head cold, blocked sinuses and throat feels like I'm swallowing nails. back to bed I think and try to kill this bug off.
  • Morning all,

Sorry to hear you're ill Mr F. It definitely sounds like bed and warm drinks is the way forward.

The shopping trip was indeed a good distraction. I bought a new fluffy dressing gown for cold winter nights. Hopefully the thought of curling up in it when I get home will keep me going through those wet dark winter runs.

The 10 mile isn't my first race, but will be the longest distance I've run so far. I've run 2 x 10km and a 5km in the last year or so, and been running regularly for about 16 months now, with about 2 months ut due to injury.

I have a target of getting my 10k time under 60 mins by May (77 last May) which I'm hoping losing a couple of stone will make a big difference with. I'm also focusing on form and increasing endurance over longer distance (and got some great advice elsewhere on this forum).

Good work, Marshallini - I often struggle with the 1st 20 mins or so, then I get into the flow and start to enjoy it.

I'm planning a slow 7-8k today, my legs still feel stiff from Monday so going to take it easy.

have a good day all

• Morning all. I like this thread. I am also trying to get a stone of before Christmas. Probably carrying 2 stone too much. Attempting to get to 13st 10 before the 25th of December! Currently training for two HM's next year. Trying to run 25-30 miles per week. Agree with everyone that the lighter you are the faster/easier it gets. Will keep you all posted with progress and good luck to everyone. image

• Hi,

This thread struck a cord with something I was thinking.

I started running 1st Jan this year to lose some weight.  I wasn't significantly over weight, but I used to play 5-a-side twice a week, then moved from Kent to Norfolk last August, got into a bit of a Blackcurrent Lucozade and mini Tirramassu (not mixed) habit and by Christmas I had a belly which I'd never had before.  So 1st Jan I went out and ran/walked 2 x laps of the playing field opposite me, which took 22 minutes and left me gasping and embarrassed.  I stuck with it, ran 5 times a week, 1 to 1.5miles at a time and over the weeks increased my miles to 2.5 miles at a time, to 3.6, to 4, to 5.2.  I did my first Half Marathon (North Norfolk) in March in 1hr49, did another (Dartford) in July in 1hr41 then stuck with it and with you Rev did the Liverpool Marathon this month in 3hr40.

My weight got down to 73-74kg in that time.

Since then, I've barely run at all.  I waited until Thursday last week before venturing out for a short easy 4 mile jog just to remind myself what running was, did another 3 on Friday, then nothing until another easy 4 Monday night.  My right knee felt pretty uncomfortable in all of those, so I'm giving myself a few more days off and think I'll probably have a really easy remainder of October. 

I've been worried I will pile on weight in no time, so I was surprised that today  (pleased, don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased)  despite practically no running and eating normally I'm slightly under 74kg still.

Is that normal?  Makes me wonder if I was loading up on carbs and energy drinks all the time for training (and always having a Mars Refuel drink after each run) which was negating my running efforts in relation to weight?

• Hello everyone!

I would like to join you all and also lose 1 stone by Christmas. I have lost a little bit of weight so far, but still 2 stones to go.Has anyone got more then 1 stone to lose?Please let me know, so we could suppot each other xxx 

• Hello to everbody and welcome to the new editions image

6.12 barefoot miles on the beach today.  Pretty slow but quite pleasant.

Weighed in this morning at 13 stone dead. I've lost half a stone in the last 11 days, most of that's down to the food poisoning tho, but I think 182lbs is a true, genuine weight.

Keep up the good work, we will get thereimage

• Hi Monica - yes I've got at least 2 stone to lose. I plan to get rid of the first by Christmas, take a break from dieting for a week, then get rid of the second by March.

My slow 6k tonight turned into a very slow 14k. Not sure how that happened but i enjoyed it.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Mornin all! Welcome Martin and Monica. Martin I think its very true about what you say re overloading carbs etc for your runs. I recall somthing in Trail Running mag recently about the same subject. Was along the lines ofus mere mortals eating and fuelling as though we were serious professinoal athletes training for hours each day. As a result Im always concious not to over fuel on shorter runs, but make sure that what I have taken on is adequate. Those Mars refuel drinks are pretty awesome, but I tend to save the, (and For Goodness Shakes) for only after very long runs or treats after ultras etc.I think having run a number of ultras now my eyes have been opened as to what my body needs to consume.Theres a guy I work with who has recently taken up running after losing a coupld of stone. He still spends 2 days carbo loading before a 10k race!

Felt much better last night so ended up going out for a 5miler on the road. Trying desperately to stick to a training plan ive gotton hold of to get me back into the swing of things.

Rest day today but get to watch my eldest training on the track tonight!

Have a lovely day

• Hi all image

Glad to hear you're feeling better again MrF and well done for today's 5 miler.
    Jane, well done you! More than double the planned distance, that's impressive and even better to hear you enjoyed it.
    Marshallini - 1/2 stone, really excellent work!!! (Am a wee bit jealous lol!)
    Martin, yep, totally agree, it's all too easy to overload. In fact, the reason I've put on nearly a stone is that I was training for an ultra in June, then cut back on my running afterwards but carried on eating the same amount - argh! Managed to lose a magnificent 0.8 lbs in the last 7 days - pfffffff!!!!! Damn those bisucits!
    And Monica, I'd love to lose 1 1/2 stone although will stop moaning if I manage to lose 1.

Have a great day all x 

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Yesterday my 10 year old son had his football practise cancelled so he asked if he could come out with me on my three mile run. Foolishly, I agreed. Forgetting I have one of the most competitve 10 year old children in the history of humanity I arrived home having run the three miles in a time faster than ever before, gasping for air and out of breath. My son turned to me and said 'Can we go a bit further'!

That'll teach me!

• Hi All especially all the new people that have joined *waves*

Apologies for my silence for a bit, went to the middle east for a few days to catch up with an old school friend. Due to fly home Sunday night, sunday morning came down with a really bad stomach bug, the flight home was horrible, fever, stomach cramps and 5 hours of hell. This week has been a mixture of doctors visits, rehydration and agressive antibitoics, walking the dog for the first time yesterday was a challenge, running hasn't had a look in - back to it next week!

On the upside i'm expecting a weightloss this week, haven't weighed myself, but a diet of rehydration drinks and dried toast, has got to be good for weightloss - though not a diet i'd reccommend!

At least it's friday and a weekend to look forward to, hope you all are well and are getting the layers ready, there is a definite chill in the air this morning and the forecast is saying the temperature is going down - winter is here people!!!

-x-

• Also, as it's still early days think that a pledge of what weight people want to get to by christmas might be a good idea. (the assumption being that we're 1 stone heavier than that now). I've gone through the thread and pulled together our goals, let me know if i've got anything wrong and also whilst it's great for us all to share, understand that some people want to join us but keep their weight under wraps, that's OK. Just thought it would be good to look back on. List is Name: Current weight:date started:Goal Weight (by Christmas Eve),

Rats:14 Stone 5 lb: 9th October 2012: 13 Stone 5 lb

Carterusm: 13 Stone 3 lb: 10th October 2012: 12 Stone 3 lb

Springle: 12 Stone 1 lb: 8th October 2012: 11 Stone 1 lb

Mr F: 13 Stone: 19th October 2012: 12 Stone

Marshellini: 13 Stone 1 20th October 2012: 12 Stone 1lb

Dakota Shepherd: 13 Stone 6 lb: 20th October 2012: 12 Stone 6 lb

Grant Young: 14 Stone 10 lb: 24th October: 13 Stone 10 lb

Martin King: 11 Stone 9lb: 24th October: 10 Stone 9 lb

• I have the other type of problem sometimes, I'll slowly lose too much weight. I always put it back on. I think it's because I do too much and forget that I have to eat more if I want to run more and not lose weight.

Good luck to everyone losing weight! It's good to hear people trying!
  • Welcome back Rats, hope you're feeling better soon.

Rats wrote (see)
    On the upside i'm expecting a weightloss this week, haven't weighed myself, but a diet of rehydration drinks and dried toast, has got to be good for weightloss - though not a diet i'd reccommend!

I wouldn't recomend it either but I know it works.

Oct 13 - 13st 7lb
    Oct 18 - food poisoning, three days without eating.
    Oct 21 - 13st 1.4lb
    Oct 26 - 12st 13.8lb

So after the intial big loss due to illness I've still managed to maintain the downward trend.

Changed my start and target weights on the list.

Rats....................14 Stone 5 lb: 09th October: 13 Stone 5 lb
    Carterusm............13 Stone 3 lb: 10th October: 12 Stone 3 lb
    Springle...............12 Stone 1 lb: 08th October: 11 Stone 1 lb
    Mr F....................13 Stone 0 lb: 19th October: 12 Stone 0 lb
    marshallini............13 Stone 7 lb: 13th October: 12 Stone 5 lb
    Dakota Shepherd...13 Stone 6 lb: 20th October: 12 Stone 6 lb
    Grant Young.........14 Stone 10lb: 24th October: 13 Stone 10lb
    Martin King...........11 Stone 9 lb: 24th October: 10 Stone 9 lb

• I wish, Craigers!
    Rats, nice to have you back image and hope you're feeling much, much better.
    Marshallini, wow, you're doing brilliantly!
    Cybarev - that's the way to get a PB then (maybe I ought to borrow your sonimage
    Can I add myself to the list then, please:

Okapi..................9 Stone 11.2lb: 24th October: 8 Stone 11 lb

• Morning everyone. I have been away for a week and returned to see a few new people have joined our little challenge which is nice to see.

Rats - sounds like you had a difficult few days. Let us know how you get on with your weigh in.

I have been in New York for a few days and it is very true about the portions they serve you. I adopted the 'when in Rome' policy whilst I was there ! The trainers stayed in Blightey so the first run I had was last night. Due to the lack of running and copious amounts of food I ate I forced myself into a long 18 miles last night. The weigh in this morning was quite a pleasant surprise as I am back to my starting weight of 13st 3lbs; I was expecting a lot worse after my trip so am quite pleased with that.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and are moving in the right direction on the scales....... 

• Morning All,

Weighed in yesterday and am down to 13 stone 10.5 lb so 9 lb lost since the start. Most of that is down to the illness that i had, so i'm guessing this week won't be such high numbers, but i'm only 5lb away from a stone lost before Christmas.

Carterusm - 18 miles is impressive after a break, hoping to get my trainers back out of the cupboard this week, but still not 100%, so likely to be later in the week.

How has everyone else done this week?

• Hi all,

Well done on keeping the weight as 'was' - can't have been easy by the sounds of it, and great effort on running 18 miles upon your return!

Rats, awesome weightloss, and hope you'll be back to feeling 100% soon.

I don't weigh in till Wednesday but had a fairly good weekend eating wise. I'm normally fine(ish) during the week but then pig out at the weekends, so feeling rather pleased with myself for keeping a lid on.  Hopefully I'll have managed a weightloss by Wednesday (~shiver~shiver~)

• I'll join in too if that's ok?  Recovering from the Chester marathon, but carrying a fair bit too much weight (and eating like I was training still!).

Daeve..................13 Stone 11 lb: 30th October: 12 Stone 11 lb

• Afternoon all. Good to see so many people take up the challenge. I have managed to lose a whole pound after I weighed in today image. However I did have a busy weekend so sorted of expected that. Quiet next couple of weeks, so confident of dropping 3-4 in the next two weeks.

Current weight 14st 9lb

On the plus side I will have ran 104 miles for the month of October, which is good going for me.

Keep up the good work everyone. image

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Evening people! A few days absent, but after a weekly weigh in I'm 2lbs down. Not bad considering I've not had the healthiest last couple of days but I guess the extra mules and lack of wine/beer has helped! Well done on reported losses, and remember its quality not quantity!
  • I weighed in this morning at 13st dead, I had dropped to 12st 11.6 lb, so I seen my @r5e a bit, but tonight I had a great run 8.42 miles at a decent pace/effort and no dieing in the middle which has been the norm for a while, so happy again.  I will take it easy for the next couple of days as I don't want to risk over doing it.

Keep up the good work everyone image

• Hi everyone.

Some good positive details after the weigh ins.

Are people training for any races in the next few months ? I have got the Clowne half on 25/11 and Manchester full on 28/04. Having these races as targets will hopefully keep me motivated which in turn will help with the weight loss.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Thames100 in march, and hopefully a few other ones TP keep me ticking over in Jan/feb.
  • Hi Carterusm

Doing a half kilomathon in March and then the Edinburgh Rock n Roll Half Marathon(my first) in April. Hoping to do a 10k in February to keep me ticking over. Like you I would find it very hard if I didnt have targets/goals to aim for. Keep up the good work everyone!

• Well done on the weight loss those of you who have been weighing in, and the running.

I've had a mixed week, mainly due to lots of social plans. Dinner out on Sat, family party on Sun and a couple of days away mid week meant I ate and drank a lot more than intended.

The dreadful weather also meant I cut my Sunday run back to a 45 min paddle, but I did it as fast as I could. I slightly made up for it yestrday with a 15km slow run along a cold and wet seafront. The longest I've ever done. Feeling a bit achy in the joints today though.

The next week isn't so busy, so I should manage to redress the balance again.

• 15k is a fine effort. If I could manage that on Sunday I would be delighted image

• good weight lose here............7 1/2 weks to go..........keep away from the hotdogs and burger on bonfire night..image

• I'm still with you folks but off today to Kenya for two weeks to visit a friend. Won't be commenting much until I get back. Keep up the good work everyone.

Daeve..................13 Stone 11 lb: 30th October: 12 Stone 11 lb

cybarev............... 13Stone 4lb 2nd November : 12Stone 4lb