Gosport Half-Marathon

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if there's anybody else running the Gosport Half as well? Any feedback from previous years would be much appreciated as well.. image

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Not running it this year, I have run it the last 2 years, it is well run and a fast course so good for a PB attempt.

Not the most scenic by any stetch of the imagination, although you do get a mile along the seafront between 11 & 12 I think.

• I'm in image (I think i have entered anyway, better double check that I actually have)

I've heard the only possible issue is if it is windy. Otherwise its a dream course apparently. Flat, fast and good field to drag you along.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Thats right Curly. There is 2 laps of an airfield which is open and then there is about a mile or so of seafront running. I have not had a problem with the wind there at all so hopefully that continues this year.

• WiB wrote (see)

Not the most scenic by any stetch of the imagination, although you do get a mile along the seafront between 11 & 12 I think.

..just one tiny little seafront mile? I have to admit the reason I chose Gosport over local events was the location.. I was hoping for something simillar to the Great Shouth Run or something! eeeekkk image

• I chose Gosport this year, since its locality to Horsham is better than some, and have just heard that its a pretty good race. There is no perfect race i guess, but would rather do this than the Great south run..

• I'm doing this for the first time this year image
  • I'm in! Really hoping for a PB after a couple of bad races over the summer. Any recommendations from local people for a good hotel, as I'll be travelling down the day before?
  • I'm doing it again this year... my 2nd time after completing it in 2010 too. Really fast course, if a little boring when you're completing the 2nd loop of the airfield!... But I definitely agree with the others, it's flat and fast!

To anyone that has run it before: Do you know what '(cc)' means next to your name when you look up your results on fullonsport.com? I just checked my time from 2010 and saw it... I have no idea what it means! image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Gosport counts as the County Championships... that is what CC stands for I think. Are you born in hampshire and belong to a hampshire club?

• Ah OK, that makes more sense... I AM from Hampshire, but don't belong to a club - Maybe they simply put that against anyone who listed Hampshire as their home county, to signify I was eligible for it. Thanks!

• I'm thinking of signing up for this as my first half marathon! image 

• Sod it - i've signed up for it. Had been hoping to get there by train but can see that is not viable now image Damn - going to be a 2 hour drive then I guess. 

Ghostrider how are you getting there from Horsham? I am going from Horley and I don't see any good train options from Gatwick.

• I am doing this for the 4th time, its by far the best goody bag I have ever had and puts the great south run's to shame,

My 6 year old will do the kids race, only £2 and they get a medal and goody bag too.

I like the fact some of the race is in the airfield and the samba band are aways great to listen to image

Marshalls are good on this race and so too is the organisation

• I am just signing up to this race today!

I have spent the last 6 months training for my first half marathon (Run to the Beat in London - this weekend) but have spent the last 2 weeks battling a chest infection. It's still quite bad so Doctor veto'd my half attempt this weekend.

was looking online for a replacement ASAP and Gosport was the only one in Nov still open and relatively easy to get to, so will be renting a car and making my way down south 18th Nov. Have no idea what to expect, have never been to Gosport, and will run it alone - but I am looking forward to achieving the half at last!

• Megan, I really enjoy Gosport, sadly this year it looks like Im going to have to miss it, as I have stag night the evening before. (cant even make an excuse as its my daughters wedding )

Its very flat, (my PB course) although the sections around the airfield can be a bit of a drag if there's a strong wind. Personally i quite like the airfield parts as you get to see everyone coming the other way.

I also like the last 2 miles along the prom with the views out to the island, although ive heard plenty of people describe the course as not very scenic.

My only grumble is the water in half full cups which are difficult to catch at speed, but that aside its a well marshalled very friendly yet professionally organised event.

I love it, and will be back next year !
  • Nidgey, im guessing you already sorted a room now, but as we cant make it this year i can share my little gem. We`ve stayed there the last couple of years. Its right on the course, (ok well 50 yards off it) at about mile 12 !

http://www.west-wind.co.uk/
  • I'm doing Gosport as my first half marathon! Hoping the flat course will make it a good first experience!

• Should do Lucy, its not too busy, but just be aware through the first 1.5 miles that the cycle path is quite narrow. Try to position yourself in the right time group and you should be fine. Once you hit the airfield everyone has tonnes of roomimage.

It is a relatively easy run, but be warned though that on a windy day the airfield, and the promenade stretch can be hard work.This is more than compensated for the by the cake in the goody bagimage
  • Fab, thanks for the info! Knowing there's cake at the end has definitely just improved my time, before I've even started image

• Cake at the end and a decent goody bag.. Now you're talking. Seriously though, after a good first time Great South Run yesterday, I've got the bug - and its just a short hop across the ferry for me. Just need to see if my good lady wife is happy looking after the kids on another Sunday morning...?

• David.M would your kids do the race?

• I've got a seven year old boy, who I might be able to convince. He did the 5Km Santa Run last year and swore he would never do it again. My other is a 21 month old daughter, so I guess she is a bit young for it.

• My 6 year old will be doing the kids race, he also did the santa race last year and said never again! I do think maybe the 3 miles was a bit far.

• I'm doing this. I did salisbury HM yesterday and finally got under 2 hours so very excited to see what a course without hills will achive.

I have a six and eight yr old, how far is the kids race?

• I think the kids race is 1 mile, its about £2 to enter and kids enter on the day, they get a great goody bag and medal, there is also an engraver there which costs about £4, its also mainly on grass 

• Hi everyone - first post here.

Just did the great south as my first ever run and I've really got the bug for it. Thinking to enter the gosport half as its the next one that's anywhere near me....

Is it a viable newby run? Or should I steer clear?

Any advice appreciated,

James
  • Newby James wrote (see)
    Hi everyone - first post here.
    Just did the great south as my first ever run and I've really got the bug for it. Thinking to enter the gosport half as its the next one that's anywhere near me....
    Is it a viable newby run? Or should I steer clear?
    Any advice appreciated,

James

I've heard good things about it. Its not the most scenic of races, but its a good race i hear. Enough for me to come from Horsham to do it. Nice one to end the year on before Brighton half in the Spring.

• I'm coming from Horley and it will be my first half marathon. Checked with organisers and they are welcoming towards newbies like me image
  • Thanks guys...

Just confirmed my entry. Very excited image