Wednesday 31st October 2012

Morning from a wet West of Scotland.

Todays lyrics:I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand

Yesterdays lyrics:'Only You' by Alison Moyet / Yazoo

What:3M easy for me.

Why: I've suddenly got  a cold and feel kinda lethargic.

Catch up as usual now

Back later

Comments

• Morning!

Some interesting race plans being made! Wish I could do the same but not going to tempt fate.

Gradually making progress on the health front: feel a lot better and pulse is almost back to normal, which is a good sign. On the more specific Achilles recovery it will be slow, and the area is still hot and red: don't know if this is normal! Still in bed most of the time with my leg elevated. Highlight of my day will be going to the surgery for the dressing to be changed!

Lyrics: no idea today, but yesterday's version that I remember best was a Christmas number one in the early 80s for the Flying Pickets.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

There seems to be a lot of it about birkmyre.

Alehouse - sounds cautiously optimistic on the health front.

Sweep - glad you enjoyed the running club.

Blisters - I'm sure TR would have shown you some sights.

What:              nothing
    Why:               still not right/no point in pushing things
    Last hard:        21/10
    Last rest:         30/10

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

AH: Progress!

Blisters: Your right i was trying a wee bit harder last time around.

What: Cycled 45K pre dawn, Pyramids tonight
    Why: Lots of reasons but none of them very credible
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last Rest: 20./10 

Lyrics Yes, can't remember the last time I was on this much of a roll

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    AleH - progress and enjoy the day's highlight!
    DD - great improvement on the run yesterday
    Blisters - yea half term most places this week I think.
    lyric - yesterdays I knew, todays I don't
    what - 7miles steady at lunchtime
    why - midweek effort. Only chalked up 3m easy yesterday as i was coaching the little people at the club session. 

Be careful later with the ghosts and ghouls on the loose.....

• He's only made progress! All hail the Ale..house!

6M steady after work, I should imagine, slow and steady, two races at the weekend and last night's club session are biting back, but I don't want to rest until Friday.

No to the lyrics.

• Morning all, don't know today's lyrics, and kicking myself over yesterday's! image

Just a steady/easy 4 miles with my girlfriend later tonight, cutting a roof this week, so up and down a ladder with materials all day should be good cross training image
  • Glad you enjoyed the club, Sweep, and enjoy the cross training too! The only time I have ever heard someone say that they are  "cutting a roof" is when a friend has used the expression: are you a thatcher, too?

7D:  don't speak too soon re my progress....a long, and winding, road to negotiate yet, I imagine! Take care with your training: you seem to have icreased the volume, plus the races, quite a bit in recent weeks....listen to your body! Mind you, the younger you are, the more quickly you do seem to recover, from what I remember from the dim and distant past.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

alehouse glad you are starting to feel better

birkmyre, boo to your cold!

great club run last night,ran with afaster mate who is back from being ill, still knew she would give me a hard run and so it was! Well the thing about it was I started out faster than I would on my own, and after two miles was well settled at that faster pace, it was only just over 9mm but for me thats close to race pace lately! Need to do that more..

what: gym later

why: paying for it!

last hard: last night

last easy: monday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Not getting much cross training done, sat in my van watching the rain :-/
  • You wouldn't get wet where I am, Sweep... You might get blown off the roof though!

Just back from the day's highlight: dressing changed and nurse reasonably happy. Leg still reddish and hot but it is up to consultant on Friday to come to a conclusion about that.

Yes, Wabo: sounds like you need to run with that friend more often.
  • Afternoon!

Seems a slow midweek.  Good luck with things AH.  I've still got that smug inner glow about me. I don't know when it will go... but I hope it stays a while.

What: Zilch.

Why: Day 3.... just beginning to feel human.  Can remain vertical whilst climbing stairs today - and don't even need the banister - major progress.  Still look and feel bad coming down them though

Lyrics -  I'm certain who sings them... but don't know the title.

Have a good weekend.

Edit... yes... do have a nice weekend, but why not also enjoy the days between now and then?!

• alehouse: progress! At last!! Time to be optimistic image

seems like Tuesday night is club night for many.

what: 10 miles
    why: base / enough rest after the mara
    last hard: battling a fierce wind on some stretches this morning
    last rest: 27/10
    lyrics: my streak just ground to a halt image

Enjoy tricking and treating later image

• Afternoon all

what:3 mile easy

why: wednesday lunch time run with the work girls standard. took it easy as legs still recovering from GSR - but not sure how better they feel after the 3Ms tbh

last hard: sunday GSR

last rest: yesterday

• Afternoon.

What : 4.5 easy miles followed by easy half mile swim

Why : trying not to do too much as racing the weekend plus I had to swim to make sure I got my monies worth from gym subscription this month

Last hard : 21st

last rest : yesterday

Lyrics : nope !!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    G'day

Alehouse: good to see infection is subsiding

Not been around for a couple of days, but still knocking out the sessions:

Sun: no run day

Mon: 9.1M at a brisk (for me anyway) 7:34 pace

Tues: Club run - 6.7M fartlek with some strongly run efforts

Today: 8.1M at a steady 8:02 pace

All in all pretty decent stuff - total miles for October were 226 - gradual progress being made.

Good to see plenty of steady training and post race recovering going on out there.
  • RW - come down the stairs backwards - much easier.

Tom - some very solid training there. Any good races your way in December?

• What: not a lot
    Why: other stuff getting in way
    Last hard:?
    Last rest:Monday

Alehouse - hope that's you turning a corner

DD - pyramids? even for you that's stretching it in distance!image

RW LOL hope it was all worth it!

Everyone else seems to be keeping training going through the dark evenings

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH - imminent races are Frostbite League this Sunday and again at start of December, together with the Hereward Relay at end of November. These are all lovely low key races, so just fun days out. At the present time I'm not feeling sufficiently emboldened to run the NVH 10M in early December or the Folkesworth 15M in January - both of which I've raced before..
  • Evening!

Tom: a good month's figures, and good to see a little fartlek creeping in. What distance and surface are the Frostbite runs? Confirmed today (results of second swab) that I haven't had an infection in the leg, so what the red, hot, swelling was remains to be determined!

OH: enjoyed the reference to pyramids!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all.

What:8 km round some well lit roads!
    Why: it's very dark and there are ghosts around
    Last hard: the potholes in the unlit, unpaved bit I ended up on!

LMH hip is ok if I don't go too fast or too long.  Constantly have to readjust posture as wel, but I think it's all part of the learning to run again curve.  Definitely improving, but very slowly still!  Hope you're improving and still resting?!
    Ale yay image
    RW  took me a week to start walking properly down stairs, you're doing very well.  He he to the weekend as well!

Dad is coming to visit tomorrow for 6 days for the day that I get a bit older (Friday) and I am more than a little excited (Still clearly a Daddy's girl at heart...), first time he's been out here to visit us.  I'm a little concerned that he may get lost getting from the airport, his German is less than non-existant!

Have a good one all

• emzap - sounds like you are going to enjoy seeing your Dad.

Alehouse - good that there is no infection - onwards and upwards.

Tom - you have really started getting stronger since joining that club.

What: 4 mile jog, only wanted to do 3 miles, but friend said that I could go a little further. Not sure that she was right!!

• You're getting back into it quickly NZC - I take it your illness has receded?

Alehouse - that is good news, probably just bruising and swelling in response to the insult?

OH - you sound a little down about not having the opportunity to exercise, hope you can get out soon.

emzap - it's lovely that you're looking forward to seeing your dad and that he'll be with you for your birthday. Yes, another rest day today but feeling better as my jab starts to take effect. Hoping to have a new start with the new month.

Tom - where is the NVH race?

• LMH - I think it is amazing - all the attention of my defence system seems to have gone to sort out my legs! Now as my legs start to feel better, I feel my head and nose starting to get stuffy again!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH - the NVH 10 is at Bretton, Peterborough.

AleH: The Frostbite league is a series of six, closed to participating clubs, winter races on road, grass, country, trails roughly measured at 5M. For me the challenge is to measure my progress against other runners over the series rather than to achieve specified times.

Christine: I agree about the benefits of club running - the benefits of running relatively hard sessions without the stress of doing it one your own can't be underestimated.
  • Tom/NZC, I also count this place as an inspiration to get the arse out of the door.

I was hoping that todays's lyrics were going to be Bat Out of Hell, or Scary Monsters, Super Creeps, both of which I found lurking in my vinyl collection. Obviously they got an airing for the little door knocking darlings.

A long drive home this afternoon, but in sufficient time to be able to clock 6.6 miles round the usual loop. Amazingly it was the only dry spell in the whole day, and you know how I hate getting miserable and cold or wet. Mind you, the legs only managed 7:56m/m, which is a reminder that they need to do more to crawl back up the improvement slope.

Monthly stats:
    Runs = 10, total distance = 83.4 (longest was a 20)
    Swims = 12, (longest 2500m)
    Bike = 4, total distance = 169

Individually, that looks like a load of tosh, although the swim sessions are reasonable, and there were 28 sessions in 31 days. Total was 32 hours training.