Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 - The Jimbob is doing both too.

Kaz - There is a Journey Planner here and an interactive map here. If you're flying into Tegel then it's a bus into the city, though. No direct train link.

• Flight and Accom booked - getting in / getting out. Can't desert the family for too long / already away two weeks previous at GNR and of course Paris.

I'll be getting the 6.15 flight home from Tegal to heathrow so if anyone getting the same flight wants to share taxi to the airport keep it in mind. And mention it to others if you hear of them doing the same (bonkers) thing

• Orbutt - Thanx for that. Sorted!! image

I managed last year in Berlin on my own, so why am I stressing about next year??? image

• Flights booked, Late night thursday out from Mancland and tea time return on Monday, time for some sight seeing before on the Friday, register saturday, race and drink Sunday, shopping and return Monday - all sorted, just need to find accomodation and do some training now image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

JPenno - I recommend getting the expo out the way on the Friday. It's a bun fight on the Saturday apparently! Likewise, I cant recommend the Breakfast Run on the Saturday enough especially if you're travelling with family who arent running the marathon - a great way for them to feel involved

• Paris/Berliners 2013 - Kaz, RS, Orbutt, TheJimBob, me... Anyone else?
  • Johnas - second that re: expo on the Saturday afternoon, having done it for the last two years. I'm heading out Thursday, expo Friday, breakfast Run Saturday and PB Sunday !

JPenno - yup, training's looking like the bummer.. What's your thinking on Brendan Rodgers so far?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 - Dirty Leeds Rob, how could you forget image

Johnas - Do you have to register for the Breakfast run? Does it finish on the Marathon finish? Is it 5k? I might run that with Mrs O

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Breakfast run is free. Starts at the  Charlottenburg Palace and ends in the Olympic Stadium (yes, you get to run around the track) and then a free 'breakfast'. It's about 6km in total and thousands take part (some in fancy dress). Nice little loosener too before spending the rest of the day resting up for the marathon the next day.

My wife is a non runner and smoker and after some nagging took part with me and loved every minute of it!

• Johnas - thanks for the tip, I thought expo was Saturday only which was why it was a nightmare, will get that out of the way asap!

Iain- quite happy with Brendan, not quite as happy with Ian Ayre for his transfer cockups on deadline day or with some of the players - our finishing is appalling, Suarez is getting some harsh decisions, but IF he could finish he would have had hatricks in most games this season

we are creating reasonable chances but not taking them, yet the opposition seem to get 1 chance and score.

• Any one leaving Manchester with Lufthansa on the friday notice changes to their flight times? Mine has changed from a direct flight to changing at Frankfurt, adding 2 hours to the journey!! Only found out by logging with reservation number, not been emailed about it image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sticky - I don't have my details to hand so I can't check yet but this sounds like a right Royal pain in the ar5e.

Has your return flight changed?

I've just been on the Lufthansa site to see what flights they have and they do have direct flights but at different times to those I booked (now showing 20.00 outbound and 18.30 return)

• Sticky, what time flight are you on? as far as i can see there is only on direct flight and that's the late one.

When I looked last week there was an early morning flight but that doesnt appear on the timetables now.

• Hi JPenno, I was booked on the 08:35 Man-11:30 Berlin flight on friday, now changed to 08:55 Man-11:45 Frankfurt, 12:45 Frankfurt-13:55 Berlin. it says "alteration to your booking which has become necessary due to a timetable adjustment"

Orbutt, my return flight remains the same (for now!) leaving tues 07:00 Berlin-07:55 Man.

I'm not too bothered by it, except I managed to persuade my other half who's aerophobic to fly, and promised it's a 'short direct flight'!!

• planning on going out there saturday 28th and staying till the thursday to get involved in the berlin oktoberfest.any suggestions on hotels or areas that would be good for the marathon and where oktoberfest is?idealy cheap.cheers!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

you might be disappointed gringo. Oktoberfest is best expereinced in Munich, not Berlin. It's not really Berlin's 'thing'.

There's a pretty cr@ppy faux Oktoberfest held in Alexanderplatz otherwise just search out some Brauhauses. We all met in the Georgbrauhaus after the marathon this year which was nice but no more than a pub really - not exactly Oktoberfest with lederhosen and oompah bands.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sticky - I've just had another look at the Lufthansa site and I can't see a flight from Berlin to Manchester at 0700 any more, so this may well change too image

• Oh good.  This day just gets better and better.

Now got a 4 hour flight there and by the looks of it same coming back.

• Looks like Luthansa have revised schedules for next year!!. Last week I was looking to book flights but wanted to wait for confirmation of entry etc. The return flight was 7.00 am on the Monday morning, didnt really fancy that after a marathon and some German beers in the afternoon as it would have been a 4.00 am start back to the airport!

Those flights are no longer on timetable and only direct flight is the evening one which I am now booked on, hopefully they wont change again!

• Does anyone know when EasyJet will be selling their flights? image And if they will be cheaper than Lufthansa?? :L 

• Lufthansa were really cheap - £79 including all taxes and hold baggage - just a pain in the chuffin arse changing the flights!

• true, do you think you can fit everything into hand luggage? 

• Also, whats berlins transport like? would it be advised not to get a hostel which is quite far out?

• I've ran Paris with hand luggage only.  Its ok but doesnt leave much 'wriggle room'.  Lufthansa give you hold baggage by default so I'll take a decent size rucksack.

• Damien - Berlin transport excellent. If you plan to stay out of the centre, just make sure you're near an s-bahn/u-bahn station. I'd echo DLR re: hand luggage.

Also - ??79?! That's a great price, I'd be well happy to pay that for non-direct flights to Berlin from the UK with a carrier like Lufthansa! I'm paying ??170!
  • JPenno - have to agree. I think Brendan's a class act but the loss of Dempsey in the transfer window was farcical.
  • 170 for me with KLM, Aberdeen to Berlin via Amsterdam!! Only so we can get stroopwaffels on route!!!image Baggage is good with KLM too, worked out well when travelling to Amsterdam this year. I am booked with Lufthansa for the Paris trip, and the flights have also been changed for that. A right Pain.

• The subtitle of this thread may have to be changed to the best of the big 6 now! image

• Sticky - I thought there were only 5? Is Tokyo now also included?

Berlin

London

NYC

Chicago

Boston

...Tokyo? Or Paris?!
  • Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Paris/Berliners 2013 - Kaz, RS, Orbutt, TheJimBob, me... Anyone else?

I'm heeeerrreeeeee.image  Got a race space but not accommodation and flights...I'll get there.