Kingston 10K

It's a month to go to the Kingston 10k, it's my first 10k and proper race. I'm really excited, need to add 1k a week in training but eager and willing.

Who else is running it? Anyone run it in previous years any advice, tips?

Comments

• I wanted to do this but I'm on holiday that weekend, the route looks nice along the river

• Yeah it looks like kilos 3 to 8 are on the towpath which should be beautiful and as it's all along or near the river only 10 or 11m elevation. 

• It's nice and flat for a first 10km race, also has a few nice muddy patches. I'll be running again this year as part of my recovery from injury.
  • I'm in image

Not ran for a few years so efectivly started again in the last few months, am on a 1/2 mara training programme which puts me at 10k end of Nov, so really looking forward to this.

• just entered. the run along the river is what enticed me. been for walks along there a while back and thought what a nice run it would be! 

see you all there in a couple of weeks.

Rob

• Cool, Rob, yeah it's beautiful along the river. I'm running from Surbiton so training run last night took me beyond Kingston Bridge up through the park there, bit off putting at first as there are no lights so struggled to see the towpath with the leaves on the ground.

Guessing we won't go that far down but cut back to the Richmond/Ham Rd at some point earlier.

• Hi, it seems to be generally acknowledged that this course is flat, but was wondering how muddy / off roady the tow path stretch was likely to be - has anyone done it before?

• Depends on the rain but this time of year it is likely to rain and with the leaves and number of runners. I'm going out to run the route this morning I'll let you know.
  • Thanks Brian, a few leaves are ok, but if it's a slippery, ankle deep mudbath, then I think I'll give it a miss.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

I live on the other side of the river just down from Teddington Locks.  will be taking part although morning after an xmas dinner goddamit, so on the alcohol free ;O)

I run a lot down that side of the river.  It can get wet and a little muddy but you should be fine with normal trainers that have a little grip.  No need to wear xc.  Just try and run to the sides of the puddles as and when.  You'll make up for it on the road section(s).

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • First 2k on the towpath as far as Teddington Lock is muddy but it's not deep.
  • I've received my race information and confirmation of the route, turns out I ran the exact route give or take some fiddling on the football fields in the Hawker Centre grounds. Should be a lovely run and definitely won't be over the 10k.

The Course:

The course starts on the grass behind the football pitches at the Hawker Centre and heads out onto Richmond Road. Runners turn left up Dukes Avenue and continue along Riverside Drive onto Ham Street, Ham Street Car Park and through to the Thames Path. Runners continue along the path where it joins onto Lower Ham Road. Runners continue until they reach Surrey Basin where they turn left, running past the large Sainsbury’s store. At the end of Surrey Basin runners turn left again into Richmond Road and run to the finish back in the Hawker Centre.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

I ran the course today.  The map on the website and the route directions dont match.  After joining Ham Road directions say continue until the turning on Surrey Basin.  That makes sense.  But the map is marked as continuing alongside the Thames and turning left later. 

Muddy and plenty of puddles along the thames path today.  Should be fun image

• theres a big old sun on the weather forcast for Sunday. That mud will be dry by then image

Looks like it might be a bit nippy though -1 in the morning forcast! image

• @  Daz, the directiosn work, you come off the towpath and onto the Lower Ham Road, taking the fork to the left and not going into Canbury Gardens. You continue down this run until Surrey Basins, swinging left and past the Sainsbury's. 

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Brian, I didn't say the directions didn't work.  I said the map and written directions are different...

The directions (as you've just said) have you run along tow path onto Lower Ham Road.  You then STAY on Lower Ham road (Canbury Gardens is on your right), until you go over a short pedestrian section, and then turn left into Sury Basin

Unfortunately the map is different.  If you look at it you will see that you turn off Lower Ham road to go BACK on to the towpath (Canbury gardens on your left) and continue to the railway bridge, where you then turn left into Down Hall Road,Left into Skerne Road, and then right into Sury Basin

If you follow written directions you're looking at 6miles.  Follow the map and you're closer to 10km.  I know because I've recced twice.  Lets hope its via directions, could do with a good PB image

• Yeah when I ran it last Sunday I had to run in circles in the car park to make it 10k. But reading their advice to runners in the doc, there is a warning of starting and finishing on grass, so I'm guessing it's turn left inside the grounds and run the missing 100m beside the football pitch.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

I accounted for that.  5.8m on the Garmin by directions and not the map.  Gave 300m for ths start/finish in the field.  Although have to say the towpath is a bit wobbly and will be some side-stepping of puddles, so balances out image

• Oh boo. just spotted this. I live in Kingston so would have been ideal. Never mind did my own 10k instead. image

• 6.24 on my Garmin ..... A nice day, nice and sunny, was a bit frosty running down that towpath though. Surprised that only 466 took part. Was my first Kingston 10k, but not my last ! Oh, and a Blue Riband biscuit when we finished ?? avent seen them for years !!!! Grabbed a PB as well, so all in all a good morning Well done to all who took part !
  • I clocked it as 10.19KM so an extra 150m than your garmin interesting.

I was also very surprised to see only 466 on the finish list given there were numbers over 700 issued. 

I had a great time, yes it was cold but it was lovely by the river and I'll definitely be back for it next year.

• I clocked it at 10.8? a woman I spoke to got 10.3 - I guess unless its on a track its difficult to gauge with stepping puddles and frost patches (that I didn't want to mistake for ice) etc who knows!

Was a lovely run. Is it only once a year? be nice if they did an early spring one as well.

• There's a free 5k out the back of the Hawker Centre every Saturday.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kingston/

but a spring run around that route would be lovely.

• It looks like this race does not count for official PBs. On the UK athletics site 'Power of 10' it is listed as 10k NAD (Near as dammit), because the course measurement is not up to date. I contacted Power of 10 about it, and got the reply that they can't find a measurement certificate for this race. The course has last been measured in 1997, it seems, and the measurement has to be renewed every ten years in order to have this certificate, without which a PB won't be recognised.

I contacted the race organisers via their website two days ago, but so far have not received a reply.

Since I ran a sub 40 PB in this race, I find this a bit frustrating. One could say, it doesn't matter if a PB is 'officially recognised' or not, but quite a few runners check on their PB section on official websites, like Uk athletics or runbritainrankings.

It is not asking too much, I think, for a race with the logo 'England Athletics Affiliated Promoter' to have its course measurement in order. After all, we are paying for it with our racing fees!

My Garmin measured the course as 10.15 k, and it usually measures too long, so I think we ran the accurate distance. And maybe there is an up to date measurement with the race organisers somewhere. Would be nice to know either way.

Does someone have a contact for the race director of this race?