Saturday, 3rd November2012

Today's lyrics: The world is on fire and no one can save me but you

Morning gang! I thought I posted yesterday but either my mind is playing tricks or technology failed me image

Happy Birthday, emzap image

And finally finally long awaited positive news for alehouse image

LMH: agree on the general consensus: 2 x 10 miles. This is about recovery inbetween races. Your legs are still battered and too much now may even lead to injury. My marathon is 4 weeks ago and I've only done a 10 miler this week and no more than 6 in the preceding weeeks. And my speed is still completely absent image

what: just getting ready - perhaps another 10 miles, but could be less
why: grim weather
last hard: a while ago
last rest: yesterday
I knew yesterday's lyrics!

have a great weekend!  

Comments

• Morning

What: 20 miles across the desert roads with the last 8 at MP (7-35)
    Why: A marathon runner I will be once more 
    Last Hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: 1/11

Lyrics My Streak ends!

Gutted for those who have travelled to NY for the marathon to be cancelled, that is a decision which should have been made much earlier.  

• Morning!

Good session DD, and I'm with you on the lyrics!

Whilst I know things are heading in the right direction I know I must be cautious: probably put my " weight through my foot" I.e. slow hobbling, too many times yesterday and in the night it started to imitate a football. So back to ice and elevation! Today will have to be a rest day!

Enjoy your races today, racers!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

Blisters - I agree totally about the xmas presents - I have much the same philosophy when it comes to present buying unless I know something that the other person wants and won't buy for themselves. Early baking here too - a birthday cake for my next door neighbour who is 60. I shan't be racing the half though I will of course be running it as fast as I can - if that makes sense.

chickadeee - agree, 6.5 miles is the furthest I've run since Abingdon. I shall keep it very easy today and have an 8 mile bail out option. My knees particularly are still on the creaky side though immune system seems to be perking up fortunately.

Alehouse - pace yourself!

Race well RFJ - and anyone else?

What:            LSR - or what passes for such at the moment.
    Why:             forecast is better today than tomorrow
    Last hard:     all this sensibleness
    Last rest:       31/10

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning!

NY Marathon cancelled...  what an absolute killer.  Feel so sorry for people who've focussed the last few months on what would have been, for many, one of the highlights of their life.  And that's not to mention the financial issues!

What: Definitely up for a first little run since Sunday

Why: Legs not quite so dead as they were... and beginning to get itchy feet.

Last hard: Sunday

Last rest: Ever since

Lyrics: Not even a flicker of recognition.

Great weekend to all....

• Morning all. Nope to the lyrics.

Ran a non-parkrun 5k this morning. Halewood 5k, organised by Knowsley Harriers, a rival team in our Sunday morning XC league. Flat and fast on tarmac tracks through a wood. A short loop of approx. 500 metres, then just a pure out and back. The only thing that stops it being perfect for PB running is the absence of kilometre markers, as a non-Garmin runner. It would make sense for it to be a proper parkrun, I don't know why they're keen to go it alone - it's free as well.

So, with no markers I have no real data to go with. The race had a couple of real flyers in (winner won in 15.04). Tucked myself in behind a guy and a girl who were just cruising along; to be fair I wasn't breathing hard, but they just made it look effortless. Started picking through the field toward the end of the outward leg.

The inward leg was four of us exchanging the 'lead'; not exactly helping each other though. Probably took on the pace at the worst moment (about 1k left) and kicked for home. We dropped one fella, then two of them flew past in the last 75-100m. Annoying from a racing perspective, but good for time: 19.26, and a new PB.

Glad to hear the leg is improving Alehouse, I'm sure today's setback was just enthusiasm. Burnage is planned for 3 weeks, let's see if you can make it.

Best of luck to RFJ.

Run Wales - do a mile, see how you feel.

• Hi 7D! Oddly just been trying to find the Halewood result! Didn't know you ere running but was looking for a V45 who was aiming for sub 16.30. Halewood was a weekly free run at one stage but then moved to monthly. There is also a free5k trail race on the first Saturday of each month only half a mile or so from the burnage parkrun: google abney trail race or something like that!

If I remember correctly RFJ and GGG were parkrunning this morning and Wabo has a 5 mile cross country this afternoon.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • If the chap you were looking for was a Sale guy then he was certainly not far behind the guy that won when they went by at the turnaround. Abney looks nice.

• Well done 7d, and thanks for the results. The guy I was looking at was 2nd: didn't realise there was anyone from my club running! Abney is one of my training parks (I wish!!), have watched the race a couple of times and two of my friends enjoyed racing it. Even more low key than a parkrun!
  • What: bracing swim (6C) followed by 7.5 miles on a bright but cool day
    Why: it's Saturday!
    Last hard: coming back after swim to discover tide had come in over all our towels and one (not waterproof) camera! image
    Last rest: not sure I'm still calling long work days, when I don't get a chance to exercise, "rest". Today has certainly been more relaxing!image
    Lyrics: no

RW "NY Marathon cancelled" agree with all you say but can see the reasons behind the decision (Maybe the "British" way would have been to carry on whatever 1948 Olympics?)

DD 7D
    Good running

Blisters LMH
    Agree entirely on Chistmas presents and heading that way ...
    Some of the most appreciated presents we ever sent were home made calendars with pictures drawn by our children (when they were young and cute!)

RFJ Hope Lordshill 10m goes well

Must get round to entering some races for 2013 - it still seems a long way off

• Up at 0555, yes it does exist, but only to get a good start on the bread baking. About 4kg flour converted into many and various rolls, loaves, flat breads, and more. All sold very quickly. When I got home, wife asked if I had any left, so had to bake again for us!

I feel like I ought to go training, but I'm a bit tired.

• A comfy if wet and in places slightly windy 10 miles for me this morning. HR went mad in the first mile though - would put it down to the contacts or similar but it was fine on my little walk to the start of the run, fine after that so I'm not too bothered but it's the second time I've had it happen now - not sure if it may be connected to the palpitations I get?

7d - congratulations on another PB!

OH - I should think you needed to run to warm up with no towel or dry clothes! Shame about the camera.

• LMH not my camera and all of us had towelling dressing gowns
    - so more embarassment image than true hardship (except for camera)

Warmed up fast on runimage

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Yeap Ale, I was parkrunning... 5th in 19:23, so the last 3 weeks have been 19:22, 19:25 and 19:23... if nothing else its consistant, was very cold and slippery today despite the frost, the ground was very wet and boggy in places.... that didn't stop Jnr winning again though in 17:55.....

Looking forwards to tomorrows race.... hoping to get around the 65 min mark if I can.

Well done on your PB 7D

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

no I dont know these lyrics either!

alehouse be careful!

rfj nice park run and well done to junior!

blisters you are a bit of a domestic god!

oh thats not what you want to see!! Hope all worked out ok, well not for the camera I guess

7d, sounds like a blinding run!

what: 5 mile xctry race as alehouse said, 45.42, so happy with my run today, its coming back and I beat some adversaries, proper chuffed!

why: local vets race

last hard: that was

last easy: weds

off out tonight with a club mate for a curry, well deserved, better get my off road shoes out of the bath....

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Well done Wabo - enjoy that well deserved curry!

OH - I had visions of you running home in your budgie smugglers.........image

More good running from RFJ and Jnr.

• Sounds fun, Wabo (the curry I mean...the run sounds like hard muddy work!)

Well done Mr. Consistent RFJ...and son.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Blisters - I remember you describing your baking exploits on the DTT many years ago.

Alehouse - circumspection is the order of the day achilles wiseimage

I had a good run out over 8M this morning with the club - starting to feel pretty connected to it now. I'm racing (sort of) tomorrow - Frostbite League approx 5M on tarmac. Not too bothered about how quickly I run - it's been four years since I last raced so just want to enjoy the experience.

7Ds (do you really have seven daughters?) well run and congrats on the PB

Congrats to RFJ jr - quite a talent he's got there, hope it will be nurtured.

I think cancelling the NY marathon was the right thing to do, but the decision should have been made much sooner.
  • Good racing RFJ, Wabo and sevendaughters.

Alehouse - look after yourself.

Tom - good luck for tomorrow - enjoy.

Dubai Dave - nice running.

Felt very sorry for the marathon runners - quite a few went from NZ - and left late, maybe they could have cancelled it a bit sooner. Guess it will be the easiest marathon they've run.

I remember one year they cancelled Rotorua because of the weather, part of the road was flooded, and few souls still decided to do the course unofficially. Don't think that would be possible in New York.

What: Nothing 

Why: 3 year old gdaughter's birthday party - lots of fun.

Good running everyone.

• LMH don't let your Imagination carry you away.image

... Our clothes were all safe and dry in the car. Just towels and camera got wet.

Just embarrassed that we got caught out, especially with 2 sea kayakers and a marine biologist among us!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hiya, 
    well run 7D, RFJ & wabo on your races
    plus lots of other good training (& baking!)

what - around 8 or 9 offroad (about 70 minutes) while girls were hurdling at the track.
    Ventured off road on fields I'm not overly familiar with. Obviously took a wrong turn, had a stumble through some brambles that had overgrown the path before hitting a dead end. Oops, so back through the brambles, over a muddy field, crossed a 5 bar gate and found a (sort of) familiar footpath...Fun, but legs ripped a bit by the brambles..
    why - been asking myself that all afternoon
    not sure I know the lyric 

• Tom. wrote (see)

Alehouse - circumspection is the order of the day achilles wiseimage

I can't see how that can help, but I'm not an expert.   Bloody hell Alehouse... sounds like you'll have to go under the knife again image