Bike advice

Looking for some bike advice, please.

I started long distance tris last year on a road bike and am hooked.

I now wish to invest in a "race bike" for these events.

Has anyone advice to offer on:

- type of bike (i.e. road with tribars or triathlon)

- type or brand of bike for female cyclists (is it best to get a "female" bike or "unisex")

- anywhere in East Anglia particularly good for bike fit / advice (I don't want them to see a girl shopping for a bike and fleece me!)

P.S. I've got £2k to spend

Ta for any advice.

...oh, and I'm already working on the cheapest time saver of all = weight loss image

Comments

• What bike do you have now?

• I found that I needed a women's specific bike, managed on a men's initially but was so much more comfortable when I swapped. Specialized suit me and I race long distance on a Ruby with tri bars though I do have a set of race wheels which make it lighter. I think fit is the most important thing, my LBS were absolutely ace - hopefully someone can recommend a good one near to you.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Thanks for the advice.

I currently ride a TREK 2.5 C E. I didn't have a bike fit before purchase and feel it's a bit big for me.

I have a LBS to try. image

• 2K should buy a nice piece of kit. Bike fit MOST important.

• If you are OK keeping the Trek as a road bike then maybe a dedicated Tri/TT bike is the way to go.   If you are selling the Trek because it's too big then you don't want your only bike to be a time trial bike - you probably already know that - so in that case get a road bike but tell the fitter you intend to use it for triathlon with tri bars as that'll make a difference to the fit.

There are some bikes made to double up as road and tri bikes - some Cervelos used to be and I think Neil Pryde - think they have a dual position seat post for both a road and time trial position  - not totally sure what is on the market like that right now though if anything.

I'd make sure the budget included some aero wheels - but they tend to be expensive and you can often pick up little used examples as people tend to save them just for races so second hand can make sense.   

• There's an independent fitter at the footlab in stoke holy cross, they might be able to suggest some tweaks to make your current one fit. Or perhaps try pedal revolution in Norwich not sure they do fittings but seem to know what they are on about so worth asking.
  • I think it'd be best to hold onto the Trek, with the intention to as a winter / all-weather bike.

Key points from what ye're saying seem to be:

- get fitted for the bike

- tri-specific bike and / or components

As a (cheapsake) aside, do bikes and their components get cheaper as the year draws to a close?

• You can find some good deals on teh 2012 models yes - and potentially even better on 2011. Prices may go down, but so does size availabiltiy