P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• YP.... You could try by HR ? That way you get a good view of what your MP should/might be...
  • AGF - I'm definitely going to be using my HR this time round....
  • Al Runs, I did a chopped down P&D70 last time. Chopped some out, started adding some on and before you know it I probably unbalanced the plan. If I go with P&D this time I'm going to use the 55 plan. I will probably do a couple more 20's, and some extra cross training on the days shown on the plan. I'm hoping to arrive at race day refreshed and injury free. Although I hit my sub 3 target this autumn, it was a close call.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)
    Blimey it's like meeting old friends in a new pub here!

Luckly its one of those pubs with a posh conservatory bit at the back. Would all e getting a bit crowded otherwise!

Teknik wrote (see)

Wow busy thread...

Chick, Keir and the other Haddites (hi mace!)...when you switch from Hadd Base to P&D, do you replace the P&D LT runs with sub-LT Hadd runs, or just dump Hadd completely and follow Puff and Diddy?

Um, good question. I expect what I will do is start them sub LT, HADD style and slowly increase the pace week by week so that are P&D for the final couple. To be honest, there are some pureists out there, but I think all of these schedules are meant to be altered, ammended and adjusted to fit individual needs and lifestyles. They are training guides to help you to achieve specific goals rather than prescriptive goals in themselves.

• Great idea for this thread, I'm doing manchester marathon a week later and live in Singapore so this thread should really help me stay focused. I see some familiar names on this thread when I did Ldn 2010 mara.

Can I aska dumb question? Why is no one doing the 24week plan? Or do I have a really old copy of the book?

I'm currently doing about 35/40miles a week and plan to use the 55-70plan too. image

• Keir / Teknik - out of interest, what is a sub-LT Hadd run and the theory behind it?

Also-ran - I like your thinking...55 with a couple more 20s is probably the way I'll end up going. The 70 plan might just be asking for injury.

• kease7 wrote (see)

Can I aska dumb question? Why is no one doing the 24week plan? Or do I have a really old copy of the book?

Kease7 - the plans are 12 or 18 weeks in Second Edition. Hope that helps

• Also-ran wrote (see)
    kease7 wrote (see)

Kease7 - the plans are 12 or 18 weeks in Second Edition. Hope that helps

Haha most be so old they changed the plans, I start my 24 week plan on the 12th Nov. I'm pretty sure Steve Way 1st used a 24week plan when he did his 1st 2.3x marathon so can't be to shabby to try it

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Al Runs wrote (see)

Keir / Teknik - out of interest, what is a sub-LT Hadd run and the theory behind it?

HADD was a big believer in slow steady running to develop an aerobic base before doing anything faster. Squeezing all of your potential out of the tube before moving onto faster stuff. When it comes to sessions he tended to err on the side of caution and so LT sessions would be on the slower side to push up LT rather than on the faster side to pull up the LT. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

No problem with 24 week plans K. Ideally you want 6 months of good training to run a good marathon, so a good few weeks of base before starting the 18 week programme. I think they decided to cut 24 down to 18 weeks as 24 weeks is too long for some people to maintain a focus. Easier mentally to think of 6 weeks of prep work followed by an 18 week plan than think of a 24 week plan.

• Teknik wrote (see)

Wow busy thread...

Chick, Keir and the other Haddites (hi mace!)...when you switch from Hadd Base to P&D, do you replace the P&D LT runs with sub-LT Hadd runs, or just dump Hadd completely and follow Puff and Diddy?

Tek - I basically did as much HADD in P&D as possible, i. e. kept most runs at 70% (apart from the intervals & tempo bits of course). As for the sub LT run I kept one in and did that as part of the medium-long midweek runs, i. e. those 12-15 milers where I would do the 10 @ 80% and the rest was warm up and cool down. Some people pimp their ride, I HADD my P&D image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - I followed the P&D 18wk 50-70 mile schedule for Chester marathon. Not going to have quite as much time for VLM - so will probably do a bit of a hybrid job. Was thinking of P&D 50 mile sched during the week, then one of the higher mileage ones for the long run.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Chick / Keir thanks...Chick LOL that's WAAAY too hardcore for me, so I'll think I'll do what Keir is saying. I'll keep everything aerobic on the P&D plan at either 70% or 75% ceilings, replace the P&D tempo with a sub-LT 10 miler, but gradually move up the intensity from 80% (assuming no drift, that is)...might even get to a pace that would have been "tempo" right now. Fingers crossed.

Al - like Keir says, P&D say improve lactate threshold by running at, or higher than, LT, whereas Hadd says tickle it up the HR scale by running slightly below LT ("sub-LT"). Once you get to 10 miles with no drift you can up the pace / intensity...

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

sorry...welcome 15Westimage

• With the marathon on 21st April, that means the 18week plan starts on Monday 17th of December. What's everybody doing until then?

I'm just trying to get my mileage upto around 40 miles a week so I can transition into the programme without too much stress.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm going to build up a base - hopefully running about 50mi a week by mid December. Won't be doing much speedy stuff...although got Stockport 10 in early/mid December.

• Teknik

Shouldn't this be way too HADD core?

Teknik wrote (see)

Chick / Keir thanks...Chick LOL that's WAAAY too hardcore for me,

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

YP - missed opportunity - v .funny image

• Afternoon everyone

Gosh there's been a lot of chat on here since I last posted! I had planned on just easy running from now till mid Dec aiming to keep the miles at around 40 ish. Also really must work on my core image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Ship-star wrote (see)

With the marathon on 21st April, that means the 18week plan starts on Monday 17th of December. What's everybody doing until then?

http://beerimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/beer-collection.jpg

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

lol Keirimage

another answer...nothing anaerobic. No speed sessions, no tempos, no hills. Base is ace.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...aw, go on then...image

• My parkruns recently are stuck in the low 19's despite clocking sub19 previously, I assume this is due to fatigue caused by the extra mileage in my legs. I'm hoping (praying) that this aerobic base building is actually working and it's simply the lack of mini-taper before the 5k races that are to blame. Anyone else noticing similar results with their parkruns while base building?

• Carefull with the beer Kier, you need to start those P&D schedules in pretty good shape.image

• Hows everyones weekend been? I did 13miles this am to start of my week of training. I did 40miles last week so build up going nicely.

• macemace ✭✭✭

15.5M here this morning for a biggest ever week of 49M image

Started off fine, then it began to rain, and rain, and rain some more. And then the wind picked up, and got steadily stronger and then it got quite cold. At the finish i was drenched and cold.

On getting through the front door my missus said to me

" you can't tell me you enjoyed running in that"

to which my answer was

" Enjoyed it !? Naa, i bloody LOVED it !!!" image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

well done kease and mace on the weekly totals.

hi Gaz, hope you're ok

Ship-star - tired legs plus no speedwork would be cause - I wouldn't worry about small changes in 5k pace, building the base will be key

Nothing here - knee still hurts from Frankfurt, so I'm taking a few days off.

• Mace - you're nutsimage

I did just over 12 miles this morning, all of it off-road, up hill and down dale, and most of the trails were like running in a riverbed. However, the dog enjoyed it, and I got a mutual nod of respect from the only other madman I saw out runningimage
  • 20M this morning in the wind and rain. 10M of which was on the VLM route. Did something very stupid and ran through the Blackfriars Tunnel. Should have obeyed the 'No Pedestrians' sign. Pavement was only a few inches wide and buses came hurtling past me. Idiot.

Longest ever training week for me - 61 miles. It may have aggravated the dormant PF injury though...