Dizzy after long runs?

I keep getting dizzy after running anything 8 miles or more. I just finished my first half, and really want to work towards doing a full marathon, but I can't seem to get over this sick and dizzy feeling after my runs.

I don't have any problems while i'm running, but generally about 15-20 minutes after I get done, I start feeling dizzy, followed by feeling sick. I can't stand for more than about 30 seconds at a time, and have to lay down for 2-3 hours before I can function again. I did some research, and everything seems to suggest electrolyte deficiency, but i've tried taking electrolyte gels and drinking gatorade, and it doesn't make a difference.

For the mini I ran this weekend, I took an electrolyte gel (with water) 20 mins before the start, drank 2 small cups of water along the way, and 1 small cup of gatorade, drank a full cup of gatorade after I finished, and another electrolyte gel (with water) about 15 mins after I finished.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this, or what I could do to prevent/stop it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Are you warming down? Before you stop running slow the run down and then walk for a bit so that you arrive back calm and relaxed. If you fail to do so when you stop your blood pressure tends to drop which can cause dizziness and nausea. Generally if you sit or lie down the effect of the drop eases.

• This does ease as you become fitter and your body adjusts to running distances.

I don't get these symptoms any more. Even after races (I always give absolutely everything I have in to a race) I don't get anything like this now.

I will say that I always run with at least some toast or cereal on my stomach (one hour digested minimum) and I also tend to drink a pint of water first thing in a morning. I can't say I'm a big fan of gels, they can lead to diarrhoea.

But after finishing my run I like to fuel up almost immediately. If I have to drive 30 mins home for example after a long run I do notice that I can get very cold, I gather that this is because blood pressure and pulse can drop quite abit.

But once home I find that a huge mug of tea, a few biscuits and a salty snack has me feeling perfect in no time.

I think your symptoms may well simply be down to effort, sweating out too many salts, falling blood pressure and a bit of a nausea inducing sugar rush from the gels.

• I exercise in order to get the dizzy feeling! Only if i overdo things does it end up with a sicky feeling. It sounds like you need to prepare in a different way and take it a bit slower. You're also at risk of injury if you overdo things, i know because that's were i'm at.... image
  • I'm with Sideburn, your BP can drop very quickly at the end of a run so try to incorporate a slow down and walk before stopping.

• Thanks! I'll try doing more of a cool down afterwards