HADD training plan

Comments

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

lurgies and niggles are banned here!image ... take care folks!

Sounds like a nice holiday coming up Brian! And good news on the prize!

Welcome back to Hadd Chick!

14.3 miles for me today ... 70% maxHR, 9:25/m. First proper LSR for a while.

• spen, as AtD said good question. Not sure about the science behind the difference between 65 and 70%. All I would say is that I have not needed to go down to 65% hadding. the only time I dip below 70 is for recovery runs within a more traditional schedule.

gaz, the secret is don't step up till comfortable. So stick with 1 80% run for now.
  • Chick: Hi, I'm sure the pace will come back when you get your legs back properly after the marathon.

Good luck with the niggle spen.

Nice long runn Dr Dan.

Thanks for the advice Brian. What type of runs should be 75% and which should be 70? I'm seeing people here doing LSRs at 70% where ther Hadd document I've got seems to have these runs at 75%?

12 miles tonight in 1:36 at an average 145 BPM. For some reason it took me 5 miles or so to settle into the pace tonight, I ran the first half too fast at around 7:50 m/m and ~148 BPM but got into a rhythm over the second half and was pretty consistent at 143 and 8:10 m/m.  Strange run.

• Gaz,

I think that the 75% runs are only run if you can't run slow enough to let your HR down to 70%. Which will come with time as your HR drops and your pace increases

• gaz/Roy, I think the Hadd doc prescribes a mixture of 70 and 75% runs. I would do these as you feel, as I'm fairly sure there was no hard and fast rules as to how many of each to do. The natural way, when combining them with harder (80%) and longer runs, would be maybe to follow these with a 70, and precede them with a 75.

Hope this makes sense.
  • I know it's not hadd... But if your looking for a chrimbo present or a book would recommend 'once a runner' by Parker... The benefits of lots of slow miles is shown in a good read.

Will be my 3rd 40+ mile week in a row this week so starting to build up to the 50 mile hadd weeks in time for spring marathon training!!
  • Good stuff AGF. Ta for the book tip-off. Must admit to not hearing of that one.
  • Thanks for the replies Roy/ Brian.

TBH my feeling after doing this weeks 3 runs of 10 miles @ 160, 10 miles @ 145 and 12 miles @ 145 that, if I was going to do decent mileage at the weekend, tomorrows run would have to be slower than 75% to make the most of the weekend.

AGF: I'm at a similar point to you, this will be my second 50 mile week after Chester marathon but the first one that I've tried to follow the Hadd document in. I'll probably move to the 60 mile a week plan next week, (hopefully) stay there until Xmas and improve my pace/ comfort at 160 BPM.

• Brian. wrote (see)

Chick, welcome back to Hadding. It takes a full month to properly recover from a marathon - when was yours?

10.08 miles in 80:16 @ 7:58 pace HRav=125 (67.6%)

I've had a sore throat for 2 days, thought i was coming down with a cold. But it hasn't materialised thankfully. I've just had a nice surprise - email from Eindhoven Half informing me I've won a prize!

October 7 ... so you are spot on as my running is just beginning to feel normal again. Congrats on winning a prize - hope it's a good one!

• Chick, won't be able to retire but it is the best prize (yet) - 40euros cash!!!!

The downside was if I'd have run 15s faster it would've been 60, and 30s faster - 100euros!!!

• Oh errr training to report:

8.3M with 3M at 6:30 pace HRav 156 (84%)

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice going Brian. 100euros next time!image

The Parker book is where I first started. He works with "working HR" and the basics (from memory) are that you do easy days at sub-70% (that's 78% maxHR for me) and you do your hard sessions at above 85% wHR (about 89% maxHR for me). Basically, you alternate hard and easy days, where the LSR is counted as a hard day. Been a while since I read it but I recall this being along these lines. The book has case histories and some schedules ... and some science ... all aimed to convince you that going slow is good.

• nice win, Brian! Just run faster next time image

I've yet to muster up courage to go out and run image. My workmates think I'm better off having a few Friday night beers with them ... and right now the thought of a cosy pub is VERY tempting image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Beers on you Brian!

Do some core work and challenge them to a sit up / press up challenge in the pub! Could result in a workout and free beer Chick!

• Dr Dan, the Parker book I am refering to is a Novel....not the HR training book...

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image Ah ... I must be the "compleat idiot" the HR training book was referring toimage .

Chick ...  don't be lazyimage. I mean, I managed a whole 3.32 miles todayimage! In fairness, it wasn't due to that Friday feeling but because my legs felt a bit grim after yesterday's 14+ ... and I thought I'd better not stretch them for tomorrow's parkrun.

• Thanks Brian,

checked my running log and only ran 1,  75% run in eight months, wonder why!

• Ive worked out my milage for the next month about 45 miles a week.   What % of the runs should i be doing 70%, 75% and 80%?

• Well done Brian!

AGF, you recommend an excellent book. Just a disclaimer to the HADD crowd: as you read this book you will feel an overwhelming desire to run...and run...and run. I love how the main character describes all the miles converting his body to this hardened, steel-like machine, untouchable by injury. Great read for the addicted runner.

Another good run today. First time since injury that I have run 4 consecutive days. Very little residual tightness near site of injury (did not even feel anything over the last 3 runs). Tomorrow off and a nice 12 miler for Sunday.

Not sure how things are across the ocean, but winter is coming in VT! Cold, damp, windy days this week. A hot shower never feels so good as it does after a run in those conditions.

• Wow, this thread has just got longer and longer, it has taken me 4 pages of reading to catch up. Lots of great training going on and I am amazed at the pace being pushed out at low 70s HR.

My training was going well but I have been hit been a weekend away and then a bad chest/cold all week. Hoping to start up again on Monday but the rest has let a few niggles ease off a little.

PS For those of us based around the Leeds area (and there are a few) I heard a rumour that there might be a marathon in York sometime next year. If so I guess a lot of us would aim at that one.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Trials of Miles, Miles of Trials image

• spen, I would run the mixture of 70 and 75% runs as you feel. As we get closer to becoming aerobic monsters, 75% should feel harder and more like an effort than easy pace, so the way you feel and what you did the day before will have a bearing.

If you feel comfy then my suggestion would be 20% at 80%, 30% at 75% and 50% at 70%.
  • VT/Keir - You got it image

Did a prk run today just to draw a line in the sand - will test again once  once to see if the aerobic stuff is making a difference. Will do 50 Miles this week and all miles will be below 75% except this mornings parkrun !! ( 90%)

• "Aerobic monsters"? I like it!!image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

JB - A York marathon would be good! image

Pretty cold today VTrunner ... though I suspect we don't know what cold is compared with VT.image

Saturday's parkrun didn't quite go to plan ... I had really struggled on Friday's run, after the 14 miles on Thursday evening, and those miles were still in my legs on Saturday morning. 20:31 in the end - slowest since June but I think I needed the 14 miles more than the sub-20.

• Good stuff AGF. Ta for the book tip-off. Must admit to not hearing of that one.
  • refresh thingy again
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Always good to refresh your thingy Brian image

Please could the thread wiseones comment on my training plan below.

Mon 45m @70%max

Tue 90m @ 75%max or as Mon + 45min on the turbo

Wed 2hr @ 75%max + 1hr core flexibility sess

Thur 45m @70%max

Fri 75m @ 75%max + 30min core sess

Sat 60m Hills @ 75%max

Sun 90m @ 70%max + 2:30 steady bike ride.

Is this looking appropriate or should I be doing more / less @ 75%  / add some 80%? 

If this looks of, when can I look to add some 80% work? 

For some information: I have been running below 80%max sporadically for the past 2 months and plan to start P&D on 17th Dec - where I will continue to run most runs below 75%max apart from 1 LT session per week, where I will nudge up to HM pace - which is actually 93%max, so not sure quite what to do about that, but will worry closer to the time.

• Keir: looks alright to me. There is no written rule in the Hadd doc about how much stuff to do at 70 or 75% so like others said it has to be done on feel. I think we all have days when we are tired and like to run really slooow and others where we'd like to add a bit of speed. And I reckon a bit of variation stops us from turning into once pace ponies. As for the 80% runs: Hadd says to start with them once you've started to churn out 50 mile weeks comfortably. With your running background I should think that this is the case already so go for it image

Keir wrote (see)

Do some core work and challenge them to a sit up / press up challenge in the pub! Could result in a workout and free beer Chick!

read that too late image  well, the CNBA fairy and her beers won in the end, so Friday ended up being a rest day. I still ran 6 times last week though image

• Dan: Sometimes the legs just don't want to know on those short, fast runs. Better luck next time.

Keir: Good weeks running/ excercise. 93% for a HM? That would put me in hospital!!image

Chick: 6 days a week is enough!!

I got to 61 miles this week over 6 days, longest run 15 miles. 10 miles at 80%, 10 miles at 70% and the other 41 miles at 75%. I'm starting to get a rash where the HRM is rubbing under my right arm, maybe pick some Vaseline up today?