Cutting down 10k time

Hello this has probably been done to death but what are the chances of me getting under 60 for a 10k flat if I achived a 67min on a hilly 10k? How long will it take to shave 8 mins off my time?

Thank you

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

simply put, it depends on how much training you do, what age you are, and how long you've been training.

If you're young and hardly train, you'd pretty easily smash that time down, simply by running 3-4 times a week, and picking a flat course.

• I am a 30 year old and I train 5 days out of 7.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

is all of that running?

What pace per mile and distances each day?

How long have you been doing this?

• I do different sessions split between Hill, speed, interval and distance and I also do a mixed one in the gym on the treadmill, bike and XT along with weights.

Been running since March/April this year (was a 15st 7 overweight couch spud in march)

• Each lb off = 2 secs per mile or 12 secs on a 10k so 5lb = 1 min to start with so keep shedding. The best way to run a faster 10k is do some shorter faster runs and some more longer slower runs. Start with belief you can however 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you're doing too much quality work if anything.

Do you have any idea on mileage and paces on the running days? Trying to get an overall picture of the week.

for instance something like

Monday, 4miles easy 7.30 pace
    Tuesday, 5miles steady, 7 pace

etc

any other races done in the last 3months?

• You are doing well, Amanda! You got off the couch! I agree with SG that you seem to be doing too much quality. I would ignore SG's paces, though! You are aiming to run 10 minute miles so the suggested paces are, knowing SG, a mistake!

I would forget about distance iniitially and build a pattern across the week working on minutes run, plus the gym session:
    e.g. Week 1: 4 runs, 20 mins, 25 mins, 35 mins, 45 mins, all at a a relatively comforatble pace;
    Week 2: 25, 25, 35, 50
    Week 3: 25, 30, 40, 50
    That sort of prgressive consistency will work wonders! I would let the pace develop after 6 weeks or so, not least through increased confidence. If some of the runs are off road, or hilly, and you can cope, so much the better. The runs can be run in any order, e.g. longest run on Sunday, shortest Monday, Next longest Weds, etc etc.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Alehouse, relax, i certainly wasn't suggesting Amanda should run at those paces, I was just offering up how i'd want to see how her training was laid out image

Just an example of how to lay it out.

Just trying to see why such a seemingly packed quality week is only coming out at 67mins for 10k.

Can only imagine the sessions are very short, and the ovreall weekly mileage is miniscule...but that's why i'd like to see the proper weekly breakdown

• Apologies, SG, but I'm sure you can see how it was a little ambiguous!!

Progressive consistent consistency was what I would be looking for!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, you have a point. I'd have given her the full week if i was making a schedule up though. I don't skimp image

I'm awaiting someone coming on here with overblown talk of tempos and speedwork, when all that's needed is simply easy paced consistent mileage over a few months.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I'm awaiting someone coming on here with overblown talk of tempos and speedwork, when all that's needed is simply easy paced consistent mileage over a few months.

Consistent minutes for a few months is easier for the relative beginner, I have found. But not, as you say, tempos, speedwork, etc etc. (It would be fartlek as a next step fpr me).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i had a mad 5mins on a run tonight, foolishly racing a bus.

It reminded me of the days I used to run every single run at the pace I fancied, which invariably meant lots of medium hard, but zero hard or easy! Perfect plateau fare!

• Run mile and mile at 75% of max HR or lower and the times will come down, 

As has been said consitence is the waty to do it

• I run 5k-10k every time I run (if I am doing speed work I put on a bimble at the end to make up my distance). Looking at my app (getting a gps watch for christmas) I am getting between a 8:40 and 11:20 ave pace. Not sure how much I trust my phone app though as it tells me the route is 6km (3.7mi) but in the car it 4.8mi?

Thank you for all your help and tips so far.