Upgrade conundrum

Just done my second season on a specialized allez.

For the season just gone I upgraded the wheels and tires, to kysirium equips and continental gp4000 tires this made a huge differnence, especially on the climbs.

I have trained and raced on this bike for 2 seasons now meaning the sora chainset and casset are now in need of replacing, the bottom bracket has also developped a slight creak.

Cyclist friends have said to upgrade the entire groupset to ultegra (approx £600). Saying that the frame is relativly stiff and so with the upgraded wheels and groupset I would have a decent bike to race on for another season.

Triathletes have said to get a TT bike.

Any one else got some pearls of wisdom?

Comments

• I doubt I'd do the whole groupset. Just replace the things you need to replace. 

If the brakes and gears work - then I doubt you'd notice any difference with Ultegra. 

I've DA on one bike, Ultegra on another and some cheap Tektro brakes on my winter  bike.  Can't honestly say I notice much difference ?

And then save the rest of your money for the TT bike ?

• TT bikes are faster on flatter courses if you can get aero and stay there. If you are fat and old and creaky (like me) then it is unlikely it will give much benefit. Road bikes are quicker on hilly courses for most.

Ultegra doesn't offer a lot of benefit over 105 which lets you save quite a chunk. Agree with  the upgrade as bits go plan, so probably chain and cassette first. Ask your friends how Ultegra allows you to deliver more power to the road than the Sora stuff, it doesn't. Slightly slicker shifting when correctly set-up and is lighter - will that much lighter make a difference to rider+bike weight?

It is better to be slightly slower than them with Sora than slightly slower than them with ultegra. Faster with sora is funny and will put a smile on only one face.

M.eface

• Got to disagree with Meface about hilly courses - a TT bike will be quicker on just about any course you care to mention - or at least the bike that gives you a more aero position will be quicker.   The advantage is just greater on flat courses.  

Do agree about an Ultegra upgrade probably not worth it though.   New chain, cassette and chainrings - possibly bottom bracket - with Sora that's not going to cost much.   

I'm assuming you've already got tri bars ?

• popsider wrote (see)

Got to disagree with Meface about hilly courses - a TT bike will be quicker on just about any course you care to mention - or at least the bike that gives you a more aero position will be quicker.   The advantage is just greater on flat courses. 

I think we probably agree. image

If you are aero then you will probably be quicker (although not 100% guaranteed as if the aero position causes too much power loss the benefit of aero is offset).

Just on hilly courses you may not be aero when climbing and/or the effect of being aero is reduced on ascents as you are going slower. Not much aero benefit at 10 mph. On descents a better handling road bike may allow an unconfident rider to descend at the same speed as they would being a bit more aero but cacking it.

If you aren't flexible enough then you may not be able to stay aero for long enough periods to really benefit. Plus if the net result of being aero cripples you for the run you may not have an overall quicker time.

So if you have the flexibility (and the budget) then a TT bike will be quicker on the majority of triathlon courses. But being aero means being aero and the pointy helmet offers more benefits than the TT bike. Would you wear a pointy helmet?

Personally for the few races I do, and coming so far down the field, I don't see much benefit in a TT bike. I would rather spend my money on a better road bike and better MTB (n+1 again) than on a TT bike which would get used a lot less than the road bike.

M.eface

(Not disagreeing with popsider in a bike discussion)