SDW50

I'm in.  The button on the centurion website says so are another 13.  We must be mad!

I recced the Alfriston to Eastbourne bit yesterday - they've changed the approach into Eastbourne since last I did it.  For the better, but it'll be interesting to see what route the race follows.

And I got lost twice round Jevington. 

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

35 entrants now...

There is a map showing the route that the race takes into Eastbourne on the Centurion site. Also shwos the route you need to take to the track. Having helped out sweeping the SDW100 course last year I can tell you that the routes are well marked so shouldn't have any issues on the day.

• Thinking about this, but not sure if I would have recovered from London in time.
  • hmmmm - getting tempted by this as I live in Eastbourne but not sure the timing's right.   and just looked at the course - that last drop from Butt's Brow down into Eastbourne is very steep - the quads are not going to love you for that after 49miles!!

• Entry fee is somewhat substantial though, may need to think about this one a little further
  • Whoa, see what you mean Lirish. I know the Gobeyond ones are about 2/3rds the price with one less aid station. However, if the market are willing to pay the price, who are we to quibbleimage

• I'm in! Think this makes me a qualified nutter (NDW50, SDW50, Lakeland 50 and considering Pilgrims 66/2 day (or possibly Thames Trot 50) and Ladybower 50.

Doing 5 x 50M has a nice ring to it, but I'd rather like to get a two-day event in...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nothing mad or nutty about any of it... madness is driving to the gym just to run on a rubber band.

• Nutty is not switching the rubberband on image
  •  
    slaneuk wrote (see)

Whoa, see what you mean Lirish. I know the Gobeyond ones are about 2/3rds the price with one less aid station. However, if the market are willing to pay the price, who are we to quibbleimage

slanuek, GObeyonds events are not bad prices at all, their ais stations are pretty well stocked i found, and i got free entry to TT50 after marshalling at a Duathalon so pretty good deal there, they are very acommodating and lovely people. id recommend their events.
    Debra Bourne wrote (see)

I'm in! Think this makes me a qualified nutter (NDW50, SDW50, Lakeland 50 and considering Pilgrims 66/2 day (or possibly Thames Trot 50) and Ladybower 50.

Doing 5 x 50M has a nice ring to it, but I'd rather like to get a two-day event in...

there are plenty of ways to qualify as a nutter-usually not through choice -nobody makes us do these events , we choose to.  people spend extortionate amounts of money sitting in a pub wasting their life and health....are they called nutters? no. so why if we spend money entering events and hours running diatances are we nutters? i dont get it when runners who are supposed to understand why they do it say such inane things about themselves..........

....*and breathe*image

• Peronel wrote (see)

I'm in.  The button on the centurion website says so are another 13.  We must be mad!

id ask the other 13 first before you label them.......

• LLB, I wasnt arguing about Gobeyond's prices - just illustrating that these things can cost a lot less. The only downside with their ultra I thought was too much reliance on fruitcake!! 

DB, wonderful target to go for and anyone who says otherwise will have me to answer for at the very least image Going to take some beating...... though I might give it a bash image

• i know you wernt arguing  Slaneuk, i was agreeing with you -go and read it againimage !!!!!

• I do - its your dodgy posts image

I'm not sure about the labelling. If anyone had a nut allergy at the start, they'd be dead within 20yds given the number of people taking part.

Just been given the dates of an annual race I take part in and it doesnt clash so I may well volunteer for the Downs 50 double

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Lirish - Hope to see you there mate. I heard the rate had to increase to cover the insurance claims of ill runners after eating what was promised to be "a lovely pasty" at Box Hill on the NDW! image... Apparently there was nothing else left... I gues the lead guys must have eaten a lot as the crew were very strict about putting runners needs firstimage

• You bugger you're never going to let me forget that are you?

Rest assured revenge will be mine, my plan is to keep up with you on the NDW 50 as far as the stepping stones so I can remind you of your promise to use the rope swing
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to do this but have a road marathon the weekend before that I wanted to race so don't know if I'd be recovered enough to get around?
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    I won't be racing at NDW mate image in fairness we were all guilty of pedalling the dodgy pastys!
  • WiB wrote (see)
    I won't be racing at NDW mate image in fairness we were all guilty of pedalling the dodgy pastys!

im NEVER eating anything from an aid station with you two on it-EVER

• Aw now to be fair we put back all the sweets we didn't like the taste of image
  • after you had licked them i bet!!!!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Chewed them! We were just thinking of saving time for the runners and did some of the work for them.

• you are gross !!!- thats outrageous saving runners time

• Geez you try to help some people image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Volunteers make the event happen. From laughing at your pain to pre chewing your food. image

• As long as I make the cut-offs, I'm happy.  If that means taking a time penalty in order to chew my own food, then I think that's a price that I can live with. 

Wib - thank you for the pointer to the map.  Cos it's on the SDW100 page I hadn't spotted it.  Next time I'm down there I'll make a point of heading up from Jevington, finding that trig point and the route down into Eastbourne.  (I figure I'll be up against it time-wise and too fried to navigate by then, so want the feet to know the last 10 miles or so without me needing to engage brain.)

• WiB wrote (see)

Volunteers make the event happen. From laughing at your pain to pre chewing your food. image

you can laugh Lil Bro...but you cant hide......image

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭

I'm doing this.  12 months ago, I was an ultra novice.  I did the Malvern Hills ultra running 55 miles in May and loved it.  Now I'm signed up for the SDW100 (holy sh!t) and I'm doing the SDW50 as training.  I can't quite get my head around it.

If you had told me to run for another 45 miles as I staggered across the finish line of the Malvern Hills, I would have laughed and then tried to kill you.

• Went out on my first recce of the route on the 23rd.  Botolphs to Kingston.  Pleased how straightforward and well marked it is (particularly after the frustrations that were the Vanguards Way ultra) but am feeling more than a little intimidated by the distance.

• Any advice on somewhere cheap to stay? I'd like to travel down Friday and stay till Sunday.

Working out about ??100 omg! Tried YHA but booked image

I'd even take a tent image
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    I'm think I'm in. First ultra. Ran Greensand in 4:30 last year. On a scale of 1-12, how hard do you all rate this?