New Runner

Hi everyone.

I'm new to running and i'm after some advice regarding training.  The main problem is that as i'm a night worker, i tend to do my running after my shift has finished which is somewhere around the 4am time.  All the running clubs tend to meet in late afternoon which leaves me to train alone in the dark.  I'm not scared of the dark but it'd be nice to run along with someone else, so if anyone is from the Wisbech area and would like to go for a run early in the morning then please let me know.

My last run was 10.07 miles in 2 hours and 7 minutes.....is this a good pace??  I have to admit that i was getting weary by the end and wondered what i'm going to have to do different in order to go greater distances.  I'm looking to eventually do the London Marathon but might start off with a 10k race and build myself up.

Best wishes to all

Jason

Comments

• Jason, what time does you're night shift start? We have a post man in our running club. He comes club, then has dinner on club house and then goes to work.
  • Hi Jason,

have a look to see if there is a parkrun near you
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events
    they are free timed 5k runs held all over the country on saturdays at 9am. It may not be quite 4am but closer than an evening run.image

at least it would give you one run a week with other people?

• Hi Jason,

Like Max's mum said try a parkrun there all over and really helps I've met lots of people and gained loads of advice. Plus they give you something to aim to beat each week your pb you get a text and email with your time I can't speak more highly of them I'm hooked! Good luck.

Ant
  • Tracey G wrote (see)
    Jason, what time does you're night shift start? We have a post man in our running club. He comes club, then has dinner on club house and then goes to work.

Hi Tracey...As i'm a lorry driver, my first delivery is hardly at the same time which makes things awkward.  Mostly though, it's around the 5pm mark Mon-Fri.

Hi Max`s mum and Ant B1...Thanks for the advice for ParkRun.  I've just signed up and now hoping to go to Kings Lynn every Sat morning.  I used to go to the college next door to the park and every day i went to the parks lake to feed the ducks in my lunch break, so i know the area really well.

Thank you all for your helpful advice and all the best in your running quests.

Jason