Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• 4 miles done today in 50 mins.  So getting faster.  Working towards 10k at the end of November in Bournemouth with a lot of hills in it.

• that's brilliant PoohBear. Its a real boost when you see improvements in your own performance. You are going to storm.your 10k. As for the hills .. just get over them!!

Welcome Ed.. i have looked at Hal.higdon .. cool.runnings and shades. All of which seem good.

I think.there are going to be lots more people joining the thread in.the next couple of months...EXCITING!!!
  • morning all

just for me to yesterday took just over 37 minuets which was a surprise as i felt i was struggling

• Thanks Barbie, i'll take a look - sorry yes youre right the bton half in Feb - also booked onto the Poppy half in Bexhill this Sunday - has anyone tried this one? Its 4 x laps along the seafront - hopefully not oo monotonous - or windy for that matter. Its a 12.30 start - which is not really what im used to as im generally out early morning. Recent runs have found me starting to flag at about 9 to 10 miles so after that just cross fingers and hope im carried through by the other runners (not literally).

• Well done everyone - good running!

had a good training session last night and then a slow 6 miles this am - nice to be dry and nice calm weather for a change! Tackling hill reps for the first time tomorrow - seriously, I've never done them before - only ever run up a hill and heaved a sigh of relief and continued on my way. I think it will be interesting to say the least and probably exhausting and challenging, but it's part of the 'big picture' Brighton 2013!!

• Good luck in the half this Sunday Ed - I am sure the runners will carry you over the line in the best way!

Got 3 miles out the way yesterday and it was fine but still my legs feel a bit heavy - I guess this is still from the half marathon. Managed a nice 13.3 mile bike ride this morning which was surreal to think that I pretty much ran that distance over a week ago!

Talking of half marathons - Who has got plans for Feb/March ones.

Going to get myself booked onto one but not sure which to go for

silverstone, bath, milton keynes, plus many more? Part of me thinks I should stick to a local one as to cut down on costs..travel and possible hotel stay) even if I do prefer a larger event (mainly so as I have a few other runners to hide behind)!!

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

• Barrie 1976 saw your post and looked up that training website for marathon schedules. Loved the site and have found a perfect one for me bike/gym and 3runs. Hopefully it will stop me getting injured all the time. Going to start tomorrow with bike ride and then hopefully do my first run since Amsterdam next Tuesday.

Thanks to all ref advice on shin splints. First time today very little pain and can feel normal at last. I'll either go for a very short run Tuesday or wait until next Friday when I buy some new shoes.

You don't realise how much you miss going for a run (even in the freezing cold) until you get injured.

Gemgemex: I'm doing Watford half in feb as it is local to me and bath half in march as I have heared it is meant to be really good.

GVH organise 3long runs at the end of jan/feb/march for any one taking part in London/Brighton/Paris 12/17/20 great to enter(only??5) and really well organised. You can then practise your race day strategy on each of these runs.

Hope that helps
  • watford is fairly local to me too..might sign up.

Glad you have a plan.
  • Evening!

Another 10k this morning, but a slow, steady run with a friend struggling with a cold. It was a bit frustrating, but still enjoyable. I love the way a morning run sets me up for the day.

My next race will be the Llanelli Half in March. I don't thisnk I've got anything else planned until Brighton.

• Gemgemx - decided to try and find a HM in Feb/Mar - nothing in Jersey so looked in France (easy to get to) and then said to my OH 'do you fancy a weekend in France on 17 March' (it's also our wedding anniversary), and he looked at me and said 'why - it'll be cold - there must be a race then!' He wasn't too impressed.

Now, not too sure what to do apart from follow my plan - it's too expensive to fly to the UK, combined with other travel and then accommodation........image

Wordslinger - I did 10 km this am as well - it was nice weather and true - it sets you up for the day!

• yes these races can be expensive... combining with a wedding anniversary...genius!

looking forward to my morning run tomorrow.
  • just be warned Bath is £41 pounds to enter this year i shall be giving it a miss

• Well, hill reps for the first time for me this morning - but Garmin got me totally confused re miles and metres and then not getting the lap re-set organised.....image

Felt ok though, legs were just aching towards the end of the reps - did 6 short up and downs with a mile warm up and cool down. Hoping to get the Garmin sorted - but can you change the Garmin itself to metres rather than miles or do you have to go into the computer profile initially - what does everyone else do for their settings? 

• Gem - I've run in the Milton Keynes Half a couple of times.  It's a decent flat course, but there are no real changing facilities available if this is important to you.  This year it rained the whole time and snowed towards the end, which turned out to be pretty good preparation for the MK Marathon (the wheather was dire then too).

This year's Watford half was called off due to heavy snow arriving the evening before the race image  At least I have the T-Shirt.  I might enter next year's and hope that lightning doesn't strike twice... like it did at Luton image

I've entered Silverstone, so be prepared for some godawful weather if you enter that.  Such is my luck I'm afraid.  The Silverstone HM gets mixed reviews, but it's one that I felt compelled to do just to be able to run on the racing circuit.  

I'm also booked into one of the Milton Keynes marathon training runs (18 miles) in March, and I've got the Gade Valley Harriers 20 mile training run in my radar (5gbp only for that one!).

• Barbie - thanks for the thoughts about the long run.  I'm pretty convinced I'm going to go up to 22 miles, probably five weeks before the marathon, with another 20 mile run three weeks before the marathon.  As long as I can stay illness/injury free!

I'm also looking at Hal Higdon's plans.  I notice that a number of plans (Higdon/RW/P&D) seem to recommend running fairly hard on the Saturday, then running long on the Sunday.  I've avoided this before, but having read Higdon's reasoning I think I might give something similar a go.  It might be good to do a parkrun on Saturday and a long run on Sunday.

I'm thinking out loud here image  Nothing is cast in stone.

• That's it officially started MP for Brighton!!!!!

Went on race bike for 45mins with some tough hills. Lets c how my shin splints react to that one!!!! Hopefully can start running next week, going to go for another road bike sat am and then Tue could b the big day.
  • afternoon ALL

decided to run for 1hr today so did a 30 minute out and 30 minute back covered just over 6 miles in that time

• Hello all

I had heard Bath half had gone over £40, and I thought Reading was expensive!

Next year I will be doing Reading half for the 6th time. I am also looking at doing the Bramley 20 again in February though need to decide on this one as it is only 2 weeks after the Thames Trot 50!

Small matter of the Druids 3 day ultra this weekend, hoping the weather stays fine and its not too cold.

hoping you are all well

Charlotteimage

• Hi Charlotte just the person i want to talk to ...im now thinking of doing an ultra (i need a new challenge) one of around 35 miles..ive seen a few in the summer that look nice...thing is i cant seem to find a training plan for that amount of mileage ...lots for 50 miles plus etc..any words of advice would be much appreciated image

Thank you

• Am looking at doing the Hayling 10 on 25th November.  Then the Coastal half marathon in Portsmouth on 17th Feb (as Brighton is full) and halfs at Eastbourne and Hastings in March.  I'm sure I'll find others in the meantime.  Could do with a local 10k in January.  I've always enjoyed Stubbington Green but too far from here (Horsham).

• Not sure where most of you are based but here is a link with lots of runs in the south west area www.clubhousehub.co.uk i found out about this site when a piece of paper was given to me after the bristol half marathon

• afternoon all

just 3 miles for me today was feeling lazy so did a run walk recover run on the treadmill

• Afternoon all, hope your running weekends are going well.

Impromptu 5 mile tempo run yesterday was lovely and now planning an easy 3 mile run in the autumn sunshine this afternoon image

• I planned an eight mile easy run today.  Ended up running 11.5 miles of hilly, very muddy trail.  I'm amazed I only lost my shoe once in the thick mud.  Squelchy fun - felt like a kid image  I'm going to have to find some new routes for my long runs, because conditions will likely deteriorate further over the next few months.

I'm still debating what plan I'll use to base my marathon training.  Starting to lean towards the P&D up to 55 mile schedule.  The 18 week plan will start on 10th December, but I'm still considering running the Bedford Half-Marathon on 9th December - which would mean having to immediately tweak the plan to allow for recovery.  It's no big deal because I won't follow any plan religiously as written.

• Long, slow run of 9 miles this morning in the rain, but felt ok, HM next week so tapering off from now on. Little trails run tomorrow morning which should be fun in the mud!!

I don't think plans should be following religiously - aren't they just for guidance - they don't take account for injuries; holidays; races etc but are useful as a base perhaps?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend - I'm still on the hunt for a HM next Feb/Mar that's easy to get to from here - probably via Gatwick or S'hampton.......image

• So have people started their training plans now? I have a 16 week one, so intend to start 14 December, and I need to build up a bit more to be fit for it! It is an intermediate one as the basic one seemed too easy.

What is the chance of having a injury and illness free 16 weeks?image

• Yes, I've started my plan now, more because we're so limited with races I needed to try to involve the local HM's when they happen. One is next week and the other not till May! It's earlier than I would like but having said that, I'm not good at running hill reps etc so I'm using this month and beginning of next month to develop a 'base ' of skills. Sounds good may or may not work! Keeping me motivated though especially  when it's cold; dark; raining etc etc. 

• Lots of good running going on folks, keep it up! image

I've done 40k so far this week, and will be adding about 16k-18k tomorrow. I'm getting close to the end of my charity challenge - I'm running 2,012k in 2012 and have so far funded nearly 10 clean water wells in 10 countries. Hoping to get to 12 in 12! I should finish the 2,012k two weeks tomorrow...

Then I'll take a bit of a breather for a couple of weeks before training for the Brighton Marathon starts!

• Looks like me and Poohbear will be entering the Llanelli H/M in March instead of Bath as our warm up towards Brighton this year so that’s another new race to look forward to next year

• 6 miles done this morning on treadmill before going to Remembrance Day Parade Service with Rainbow Guide unit I run.  Completed 6 miles in 1hr 20 mins - hope that will stand me in good stead for 10k in 2 weeks time.

Sounds like there is a lot of good training going on.  That is a mammoth challenge Wordslinger - I hope you reach your target.