My first brick today

I really smashed it on the choccy biscuit front today and need to burn some extra cals. So, I figured I would tag a 1hr turbo session on to the beginning of my 5 mile easy pace run today to see what a brick feels like. This will be my first time. 

How long a gap can you have and still consider it a brick? It will take me some moments to lock up the garage, go indoors, change in to my running gear, and hit the road again.

Comments

• as long as your not talking hours, anything less than 30 minutes I recon

• Ah we are talking more like 10 mins here. Thanks.
  • Why not lay out all your kit by the bike and practice your transition whilst you're at it?

• Just get changed in the garage, keeps the neighbours interested.

• Lol - it's cold and dirty/dusty in there. I really need to clean it up and 'finish' it so i can do as you guys suggest. 

• Well that was easier than I thought. I'm definitely going too easy on the turbo - need to up the level on that. My transition time was about 15 minutes lol. This included joining a conference call for work, putting my laptop away, and detaching my twins from my legs. 

• Why do you need to change into running gear?  When I train "bricks" I act just like it's a race and only change my shoes. Always have lace locks on my running shoes so no time lost in tying laces either. Open the garage door, put my bike in, change shoes, out the door and lock it, and off I go.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

You do need to do few bricks with a quick transition before a race, but only need to do a short run.
    Running on tired legs is a good idea sometimes though, I deliberately do 3hrs hard on my bike on a Saturdy and then race a 10k/10M or a 1/2 mara on the Sunday a few times a year so my legs dont forget what its like to run hard on tired legs.  

• BI - do you run a marathon in your cycling shorts or do you cycle 112 miles in your running shorts? Both sound horrible to me. 

I did this simply to feel what it was like running after cycling. Main lesson learned was that neither of these activities was done hard enough in this session to really feel any difference to non brick sessions.

• Tri shorts have a slimmer pad and are generally comfy enough to run in and after training for an IM bike you should be tough enough to manage the bike on them in the race.    Some people do prefer to change shorts in T2 into specific running kit but it's added faff if you're chasing a specific race time. 

2XU Endurance Tri shorts for me,  they're on offer (limited sizes) at Sigma Sport currently.

• Jaffa_ wrote (see)

Tri shorts have a slimmer pad and are generally comfy enough to run in and after training for an IM bike you should be tough enough to manage the bike on them in the race.    Some people do prefer to change shorts in T2 into specific running kit but it's added faff if you're chasing a specific race time. 

2XU Endurance Tri shorts for me,  they're on offer (limited sizes) at Sigma Sport currently.

+1 for the 2XU Endurance/LD tri short. 112 miles isn't comfy by any stretch of the imagination, but they did the job. Changed in to my short short running shorts for the run. Should have kept the 2XUs on and saved 10 minutes...

• anything over 10 minutes is a bit of a wasted opportunity imo, after 10 minutes your heart rate will/should have dropped into the recovery zone so therefore wont give you an accurate feeling, and yes +1 for run in your tri shorts, dont know what SA is diong for 30 minutes but if its a crafty couple of pints that perfectly acceptableimage 

• I always race from start to finish in my tri shorts and top - I'm not fast enough to waste time changing! Also, I'm extremely lucky in that I don't feel the cold. where I have problems is in extreme heat.

• I always do my briks as if its a race, so tri shorts and running kit ready to go, helps when it comes to race time.