Friday 9th November 2012

Morning from a dreich (wet) west of Scotland

Todays lyrics:One man  one goal  one mission,

What: 4 easy miles.

Why: Legs heavy, feeling a bit sluggish

ale:Hope you get on mend soon

hansy: Welcome

DD : Agreed re Blues.

Hope Bradley Wiggins gets back in saddle quickly aftre his accident yesterday.Same with Cyclings Head Coach Shane Sutton

Back later.

Comments

• Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were "Signed, sealed, delivered," Stevie Wonder.

Today's lyrics: know

What: off to see consultant, so that's a short drive (!), train, lift and the reverse.

Why: Achilles check-up

Last hard: prostate test!

Last rest: every day's a rest!

Enjoyed the Spurs game last night! Couldn't spot you in the crowd Wabo: must be the haircut!

On other news, I have a lift to the Alehouse for an hour tonight. Before you ask OH it's in HM!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

My lyrics losing streak has finally come to an end! image

Having a rest day today, i've done plenty this week image
  • Meant to say, glad you went to the club last night, Sweep: good running! Rest day is probably a good call!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning ale and sweep

I suddenly thought I'd posted the singers / band of todays song  with the lyricsimage.Realised now that I haven't, thankfullyimage

• Morning.

Well done for getting out sweep.

Hope it goes well Alehouse.

Nice to see NZC back - what's next?

OH some thing special planned or just no working?

The conspiracy theorists could have a great time with Bradley and Shane's incidents couldn't they?

What:          30 mins easy or nothing
    Why:           busy day and legs still achey
    Last hard:   is it time for hard again yet?
    Last rest:    4/11

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Was a bit worried it'd be too much, as picked up the milage a fair bit since joining the club, but felt pretty good. Definitely made the right choice with this club, they're gonna help me improve nicely I think image
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

happy friday all,
    well done yesterday Sweep, good run! Likewise decent session RFJ and Blisters spot on with easy should be easy, hard should be hard. I find it difficult to run the easy ones as easy as I'd like.
    Good result Wabo, and a decent performance. Defoe above Sheringham now in the scoring charts! I can't believe we have a couple of Millwall fans on here, I can't think of any other London sides that play in blue....
    what - 3 or 4 easy
    why - hamstring test, 2 days of rest have helped & want to try it before 10 miles of mud on Saturday...
    last rest - weds & Thurs
    last hard - resisting running yesterday

oh and a yep to the words

• Morning. Lyrics not sure.

What: Rest.
    Why: Been at it all week.
    Last hard: Wednesday's gym.
    Last rest: Friday.

LMH yes I'm lucky there's a Home Run route that goes from really close to work to my new place, although I'll only be working here another month and a bit... Got some interviews lined up so fingers crossed I can secure something before the end of the year. Both are short term but 14 months and 22 months, that's more security than I've had for a while! 

Hope you enjoyed your ale alehouse.

• GGG: best of luck with the interviews. Never a nice feeling to be up in the air about jobs ... I think most of us have been there.

Blisters: can we swap paces please? Your easy is about my HM pace image

NZChristine wrote (see)

chickadee - when is your marathon?

NZC: April 21 so nowhere near, thank god. I'm still in recovery from my autumn mara but I like to keep a decent base of 50mpw which I should hit this week image

sweep. wrote (see)
    Felt alright after work, so went out, we did a hilly 9 mile loop in about 75 mins... Glad I bothered now image

always makes you feel great when you beat the CNBA fairy image.

what: 10 miles a leeettle quicker than of late
    why: I felt good for once!
    last rest: 2/11
    lyrics: yes

• Good luck with the interviews gg!
  • Morning all,

Nothing interesting to report.  So another dull post.

What: Hope to do 4 miles easy

Why: Only done 1 run in the 12 days since my marathon.  I need to get myself out of this before it becomes a habit!!

Lyrics Yes.

Have a great Friday

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics yes! Prob afternoon when I am finished posting so good afternoon too....

shame about the 2 cyclists indeed birkmyre, hope they make speedy recoveries!

lol dustin! It was a good night made greater by the half time appearance of Fabrice Muamba, the best part for me. Bless him.

alehouse hope all goes well today, I did wave at you! Was sitting near the corner paxton rd end, bale took a corner on our side second half, well at least one!

what: gym d&d early early doors, tai chi squats lunges as well

why: strength

last hard: tuesday

last easy: yesterday

Race tomorrow afternoon just a club handicap fun sort of 5 mile thing then a remembrance run sunday which will be about an hour.  so I dont mind so much that I didnt run since Tuesday!

have a good weekend all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • GGG, swap organised for Tuesday. I'll take your good looks any day. If you keep pushing yourself to the limit for 10 years your current 400m pace will become your marathon pace.
    Lyrics: a classic.
    Today, the plan went like clockwork. Having received a late text on the lines of "you didn't reply to my FB message" I suddenly had a partner for my long run. We met once I'd done an hour, and then continued on my regular long route with a couple of diversions. The final bit is proper training. 18 miles in and the inclines need to be tackled. Of course, she was as fresh as a daisy and I had to work a bit. A great result though, and the steam train made an outing on the final few "race you to the top". A total of 22.7 miles in 3:15, averaging 8:36m/m. Now that I am happy about, and nothing below 9m/m on the open road.

Cold bath done, hot bath done, compression socks on, refuelling in progress. Weight down to a dehydrated record low of 11st3lb. I wasn't expecting that, apart from when I pulled my trousers on twice.

OK gang, go and hit the dance floor!

• Great training, Blisters. Would be good if you could get one of those runs in on a consistent basis every 2 to 3 weeks.

Wabo: thanks for the wave...and there was I looking for you in the Director's Box. Good training first thing, enjoy the handicap (I used to love handicaps!) and yes, the Fabrice Muamba appearance was moving on TV, so it must have been pretty emotional live.

Chick: a better run! Long may it continue. And RW,  I'm sure Chick would say that the lethargy is normal.

Dustin:  enjoy the mud, and take care of that hamstring!

6 hours travel for about 5 minutes with the consultant! My fault for being picky with the consultant, but still glad I did: he's still pleased with progress and I can start physio next Friday, and then see him the following Monday. Moving in the right direction. However, Blisters, no, I won't be hitting the dance floor.

• Permission to join thread please...do enjoy reding the lyrics and been lurking for a while but if it's a private party happy to diappear:
    Lyrics yes
    What: Gym session
    Why: First outing post real flu
    Last Hard: Cardiff Half
    Last Easy: Cardiff Half followed by flu and
    Last Rest: Cardiff to today!

• Hi Straycelt! You, and anybody else, is most welcome! And you have the format just right!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon

Blisters - excellent 22.7M. Like Chick, I'm also envious of your easy running pace.

Alehouse, glad things are now going smoothly on the achilles front (well back actually). Did the consultant give you any information about the actual physical state of the tendon when he got in there.

Dustin - hope the hammie settles down before the Saturday mud wallowing session.

Welcome Straycelt. It's surprising how often new posters are drawn onto the thread by the lure of the lyrics, rather than the sage comments found here on!

I think I'm a bit too undisciplined in my running to run my slower runs as slow as they should, though I now try to stick to the principle of 2-3 key sessions a week plus as much easy running as I can handle.

Ankle has settled down and I managed an uneventful 5.6M this morning, so only lost a couple of days this week. 16M with club tomorrow should get me back on track.
  • Alehouse....are you in SWales or are there two towns with a Griffin and a Royal Oak?

• Thanks for the welcome guys....nice to see a thread with so many interesting comments, injuries, pass times!!
    Looking forward to getting back into runniing and the reporting here, I think, might just help as well as the challenge of remebering the song

• Tom:  you sound to be back on track...and i hope that tomorrow's long run is uneventful! Consultant sounds happy with his handiwork and expects that at some point I will be running again. No idea when, though, and he won't be drawn on a timescale.

Straycelt:  nowhere near S. Wales...try the North-West! OH (who I know only virtually) hails from a couple of hundred yards from one of the said pubs. Neither the Royal Oak nor the Griffin are uncommon names: there are also two Dog and Partridges and three Crown pubs nearby, as well as a further Griffin! How did you find the Cardiff half?

• Alehouse, I'll think about you guys when I plod past both next weekimage
    I ran with a half mara virgin...he wanted around 2hrs but he fell apart at 8 and went to lead at 10 so ended in 2.15. I've paced it a number of times at 1.45/1.40 (No idea why they changed it from 8 min miling to sub 8) This  year was pretty boring and it's still tooo congested in a number of places, especially coming back on the narrow stretches from the bay. Better support than usual. Would have preferred to run a tad quicker but commitments made. Probably just as well given what happened next!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Straycelt - my best running years (1973-77) were spent running around Cardiff, Penarth and Barry. My daughter still lives outside Cardiff, so I get the chance to run some of my old routes 3-4 times a year - albeit rather slower than of old. One of my more enjoyable efforts of recent years was the Cardiff KRUF 10k which finished inside the Millenuim Stadium...really cool.
  • Welcome aboard Stray.

Tom, would would have had a laugh at me finishing up those inclines. Wheezing like an old steam train. Easy it most certainly was not. Having someone with me meant that I just simply had to dig deeply to be able to pull it off. With a mile to go I cranked up the engine and got a HR of 161 out of the old Massey Ferguson. It goes to show that I could pull off a marathon, but not necessarily a spectacular one. Like Alehouse says, I'd like to do one of those 20's every 2 or 3 weeks. Then we'll see what's in the tank. It only looks like a 3:45 at the moment.

• Welcome straycelt! Blisters not sure I understood?

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evenin all.

What: rest today and 11.5 km with club last night
    Why: knackered, meant to be working this afternoon but my body went into unfunctioning mode so slept instead.
    Lyrics: yes

Lacrosse match tomorrow, 6 am start :S

Ale  glad achillies is on the way up.

Have a good one all

• Alehouse glad to see Achilles is finally getting some lubrication image
    LMH Saturday this week is nothing special - probably usual swim (which I do look forwards to!) and run. It's just that work has been rather busy of late.
    StrayCelt welcome

What: not a lot
    Why: just finishing work
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    LastRest: Tuesday!
    Lyrics: yes - although I cheated to checkimage

• Hello Straycelt - always good to have new blood. What's next for you race wise?

OH - thought that might be the case.

Blisters - what a great run. I'm jealous.

Chickadeee - I agree totally, I'd love that to be my easy pace. Maybe you need a bit more of a break before throwing yourself back into marathon training?

Good news Alehouse.

Tom - although I run to HR I seem to have just one pace outside of races. Glad to hear that you're back to it.

Dustin - hope the hammy holds up.

Enjoy tomorrow Wabo!

I ran in the end. Just 4 miles with the dog, much needed after a stressful afternoon spent in the hobbit hole (office with no natural light or ventilation).

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Straycelt

What Nothing
    Why - a few pints at the Club presentation night....... came away with the male points rophy for the road runners a tad unexpected this year with so much time out, but have still logged the races and thats the counter......
    Last Hard - yesterday
    Last Rest - Today

Lyrics - YES image

Parkrun and XC tomorrow....